Looking for a new bolt action rifle

Welcome to the forum!  I have a savage 110 they are cheap but they shoot great 30-06.  A few friends have the browning A-Bolt this is the high end and the gun is basically awesome!  I shoot better groups with my savage than they do with the A-Bolt but it is not the gun it is the shooter.  Good luck which ever gun you purchase.

If you can afford a Kimber you have lots of options...

My Remington 700 Mountain Rifle ( 7mm08)  is a handy, reliable and accurate rifle...It has been my main whitetail rifle for a number of years now..

I suggest that you visit a gunshop with a good selection of rifles and handle a few to see what trips your trigger...There are some good deals to be had on good quality used rifles out there too..

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 3

Any suggestions? Looking at the Tikka,anyone have one?

Thanks

Have a Tikka stainless lite in .204 ruger that is super accurate.

Have and use for my on the move deer hunting a Tikka compact in .308 winchester with 165 gr woodleighs that is also super accurate and has the exchangable recoil pad to shorten the lop for heavy winter clothing.

Both these guns have synthetic stocks. 

The Tikka's are, in my humble opinion, the best deal for the money if you are looking for an accurate gun at a reasonable (some would call it bargain basement) price.

The only thing that turns me off personally, are that they use the spring loaded plunger eject system rather than a blade type ejector.

But my .308 with those 165's is easily a 3/4 inch for 3 shots gun.  What a confidence builder!!  You cannot go wrong with one.

Heavy woods/mountains. I would like to stay in the $1k range. The kimber Adirondack is looking real good though.

I love the specs and look of that gun. But if you're just looking for a deer gun I'd also suggest you look at a savage or ruger and spend the rest on some great glass. Don't skimp on glass. The average rifle will do just great for NY deer hunting. I don't think you need a high end rifle till you head out west. just my .02.

• Like 2

X-bolt. I currently have two, a stainless stalker and a Maple Medallion. Both are amazing rifles. Looking at the new High Grade Hunter model next.  I've also got a Model 70 stainless featherweight that is an amazing rifle with the smoothest action of any rifle I have ever owned, but the ergonomics and feel of the X-bolt can't be beaten IMO. Truth is, most of the modern bolt action rifles are good guns and most are very accurate these days. Find a shop that has a good selection and see what fits you best or what catches your eye. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I have the Tikka T3 lite SS syn. stock in 7mm08 with a Leupold Vari X III 3.5X10. First off all Tikkas are long action no matter the caliber, doesn't bother me but it does some. The rifle is extremely accurate and easy to carry. Light weight = more recoil compared to a standard rifle in the same caliber. Again doesn't bother me I've never been recoil sensitive, some people are. The biggest draw back (personal opinion) is the stock to me it sounds very hollow to the touch and seems noisy when on stand. They have finally started making some reasonable priced after market stocks in the last few years.

Too many great guns available now it really depends what you're comfortable spending and how hung up you are on appearance... You can pick up a "utilitarian" Ruger american that'll do the job well or go on up to a 700 CDL or XBolt for twice the price and have an aesthetically appealing gun... I have multiples of each, myself I go for a good looker that feels right and shoots great

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

The Ruger you have in 7.62X39 has power equal to the .30-30.  It's a good deer rifle.

I'm a Kimber man, but think the Montana is a better choice than the Adirondack for a mountain climbing deer rifle.  With a compact scope and web sling it weighs less than 6.5 pounds.  It can be had for about $1000.  The Adirondack costs more, and I don't like the short barrel.  It doesn't balance as well.  I think 22" is short enough.  The fluted bolt isn't as smooth either, as the ejector rides along it as you work it and makes it feel choppy.

I would take a Kimber over any other rifle offered for the same price, and prefer it over quite a few rifles costing much more.