What calls work the best?

TPat032

I do the MA MA call by mouth for doe predawn works but can be a one off as they pin point you.  

I use the cans for doe calls and general communication the most.  It seems to be the call that most deer respond to.  Primos works for me but you have to us them right not just tilt over and pray, lol.  

I use the buck calls the least amount.  Mainly in response to a grunt is when I use it the most or if I am rattling, even more rare.

So many calls on the market, I probably have 10 buck calls.  I use the buck roar but it is very rare.  My main call is a basic buck grunt with tube and sliding adjuster to make the call sound like a young 2.5.  That call and the basic can are my favorites. 

• Like 2

Primos doe bleat in a can. Never to blind call, only when I can see the deer I'm calling to.

Older Quaker Boy grunt tube. Used sparingly. And same as above.

I hunt mostly from the ground now and don't like to blind call to deer I can't see. I don't want them to pinpoint me before I know they are there.

• Like 1

They all work well for the people who sell them.

I've had them work and not so,much. Young bucks come to the "can" like they are on a string.

Most of my stands are in thick cover if I can see a deer I can shoot it for,the most part, so all my calling there would be blind calling and its burned me most times ok every time .

I bring a grunt tube and can, but hardly use them anymore.

I do,less and less rattling and calling. My experience has been the big ones will circle downwind , stay in cover and watch , after ten minutes or so I'll move or make a noise and a buck I never saw will run off.

Maybe I just suck at it , and that might be true as well.

• Like 2

whatever one will let you blow into it briefly and then locks up for a half an hour. 

I've used rattle bags, antlers, bleat tubes, different sized estrous can calls, and others.  by far the best call I've had the most luck with is the basic grunt tube.  want to fill doe tags?  early season bawl like a fawn with one by moving the o-ring.  buck off in the distant woods, not coming your way?  couple contact grunts while he's walking.  I've had better luck with a simple contact grunt then doing much of the fancy stuff you see on TV in prime areas with good buck to doe ratios and full out rutting action.  right now I use the original Primos Buck Roar.  I can blow it harder for distance deer without pinning the reed.  it's soft thus won't "clack" against anything.  it has a strap so I strap it to my forearm.  I can blow into it while being ready to come to draw with little movement.  I did have a buck snort wheeze back at me two seasons ago while dogging a doe.  it was cool and rather unexpected.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Raul2145
      Hi Everyone,
      My name is Raul and I am a new hunter! I've been hunting public land for now, but have been suffering. I've done 2 10 hour sits at Kings Park and 3 10 hour sits at Rocky Point and haven't seen one deer. I use a treestand and use scent blocker. I also get there super early in the morning. I need help! I plan to go again this friday. I scouted Rocky point after the first day and always see sign and I try to hunt the areas, but no success. I hunt around 42 and 36 I think. If someone wants the exact spot I can send them it on a map. I am really just looking for help in any areas and everything. I have put so much effort yet all i want is to just see one that will keep moral up. Any help is really appreciated!
    • By alplausoutdoorsman
      Any farmers/farms in 5H or surrounding able to let me hunt on their land? I'm a new 17 year old Hunter.
    • By TreeHugger
      I’m hesitant to rattle (grunt, bleat etc)  at the best of times—afraid that my novice attempts are way more likely saying “idiot hunter over here” instead of “hot all estrus doe action”.
      how do you guys feel about it? Are you using your rattling antlers? Is it working? Is it going to work but not until next week? Any suggestions and advice welcome
      I am located in 4Y—Columbia county—eastern NY 1 hour below Albany. Seeing lots of does and a couple of spikers. Except after I rattle. Then I see nuthin. 
    • By tonyc26
      Going upstate (from nyc) for Spring Gobbler this weekend
      I've never hunted for spring gobbler, nor in NY, we usually go to PA during deer season
      Just got all my tags and permits, and were going to be heading up to Dutchess County on Friday
      As of now we intended on going to the Taconic-Herford Multiple use area, also considering the Baxtertown Woods WMA and Taconic State park

Are these good spots to hunt? 
      Does anyone know of any Public land out in / around Dutchess County with a healthy gobbler population ( not asking for your hotspot, just a vague location or park to go to that allows crossbow / bow hunting)

Also any advice? I have a mouth call that I've actually (I think) gotten pretty good with (been practicing).. Wondering things like
      how far should we walk in from the road? 
      how long do you sit before moving on to a new spot?
      Do you walk around and call and then post up, or post then call.. I've heard of both not sure which is better!
      It's not too late in the season right?.. I hear New York Gobblers move up until late june
      Also what time is the best to go.. We intended on going at sundown. 

Sorry if i sound un-experienced, I am, just got into hunting last year.

Any Advice is Greatly appreciated.. Mostly need a good location to hunt, but any advice will be more then helpful!!
      Thanks in advance
    • By bg1063
      Hello all!  I need some help, so any help you guys could offer would be great.  I hunt upstate near the Hunter/Cairo/Tannersville area where I have a nice log cabin with about 20 acres.  The property is pretty hilly and the terrain is rough especially when there is snow on the ground but I still see plenty of wildlife.  My neighbor is a complete di@k who on opening day for every season drives around on his ATV 20 minutes before dawn and continues to drive around throughout the day.  Whether its with his ATV or with his truck he is constantly driving around while I am sitting in my blind or up in my treestand.  He owns 300 acres surrounding my property but his constant presence is really driving the deer away during the day.  I spend all summer setting up new shooting lanes, clearing out trails, putting up new blinds overlooking pines and bedding areas only to have this d@uche drive around during open season, sometimes with his dog.  I think his constant presence is what is causing the nocturnal deer situation.  Behind his property are 1000 acres of state land where I have walked up and have seen plenty of 8,10 and 12s during the off season.  The only thing is none of them are coming down by me where all the does are.  Now I have some huge does but I would like to shoot something bigger than a six.  Any help?  All the preparation, money spent on scent control, blinds, estrus, etc is useless unless I start seeing some bigger animals.  This season was a total bust for deer, I was able to nab a nice 180lb sow black bear but the deer are only coming out at night, any way to turn their feeding habits around?  Or am I just screwed because of my neighbor? Please help, only a few months until I will start clearing lanes again...