Tomorrow Is Opening Day.....What Gun 4U?

Lawdwaz

Opening day will be my trusty BPS , after the opening weekend ill switch spots and cover some fields with my CVA 30-06.

I've killed a pile of deer with my BPS buck special over about twenty years time !

When we went rifle a couple years back I bought a Savage .270, that is what I'll take " tomorrow ".

• Like 1

For the first time, the Savage Axis in 7mm/08 shooting Federal 140 grain Nosler B.T. Topped with a Leupold VX-1 3x9x40 Duplex Reticle. Back-up will be an Ithaca Deerslayer 2, topped with a Leupold 1x4 that has killed many a deer and will kill a few more before it's retired.

Edited by grampy

Hawken with patch and round ball.

It'll probably be my Traditions Deerhunter 50cal percussion for opening day. Stock has a crack in it, but I'm having it fixed soon. I bought an inline this year, but after shooting it, I'd rather have the sidelock. The inline isn't half as fun as the traditional. I'm shooting 90gr of ffg, & a 385gr Great Plains conical.

Edited by Skillet
  • Like 1

Mine is just a cheap Mossberg 100 ATR chambered for .270. I bought it cheap whenever 4F went to rifle. I put a good, mid price range scope on it, sighted it in, and it has never had to be adjusted since. I use it mostly just to shoot does, but any youth hunter I take uses it.

When I bought it, it was just to have a rifle, expecting to get a nicer one the next year, but shot so nice, I never felt the need to replace it. 

• 6 months later...

OK enough BS, tomorrow is opening day of gun deer season. (I could only hope!!)

What is your gun/chambering of choice and are you ready?

I am ready.......with my second choice rifle! 2nd choice will be the .243 ULA. 1st choice and most probably the gun I'll be toting will be a .260 Remington. It's a Remington CDL action with a Rock Creek #3 barrel in a McMillan Edge stock. Nothing too fancy but it is a great shooter. 120gr Barnes TTSX bullets will be the projectile launched towards the target. I don't think I've carried it at all hunting for deer.

So what are you carrying tomorrow? :)

Larry, in case you are running low on stock.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/594032/barnes-tipped-triple-shock-x-bullets-243-caliber-6mm-243-diameter-80-grain-spitzer-boat-tail-lead-free-box-of-50

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Hmm, I'll check the stash but since I NEVER even pulled the trigger on that centerfire or any other centerfire rifle on a deer I have a stinking suspicion I have enough.  :(

The lead free choice is never a bad choice........ :)

Shawn.......you've shot them in your .243, correct?  If so, what speed did you get and how was accuracy?

To all you OTHER lug nuts, any changes for this coming Opening Day? 

TIA........... :)

• Like 1

Hmm, I'll check the stash but since I NEVER even pulled the trigger on that centerfire or any other centerfire rifle on a deer I have a stinking suspicion I have enough. :(

The lead free choice is never a bad choice........ :)

Shawn.......you've shot them in your .243, correct? If so, what speed did you get and how was accuracy?

To all you OTHER lug nuts, any changes for this coming Opening Day?

TIA........... :)

I actually never shot them, due to their expense. BUT, I'm a sucker for a deal, so I have 50 on order. I didn't want to admit it, but it seemed fit to answer the question. Now the anti-lead folks are going to call me a hypocrite.

The other 1000 pills are of lead nature though, fun times ahead.

If I decide to work up a load for them, I'll let you know how they do.

I'm going to guess 22".......to get the exact answer I'd have to get out of my Lazy Boy and go spin the dial on the S&G lock to check.

My 20" is pushing the 85gr at 3180 FPS and that's probably way over max pressure. I'd assume a 22" shooting the same would be in the 3300 range, with the same over max pressure. So it only

Makes sense that it's a 24" at max pressure. But I guess you could be crazy like me and load them hot!

Custom M98 Mauser built on a '44 vintage J. P. Sauer action, 26" barrel, Black Walnut classic stock chamber ed in 8mm-06 Ackley Improved topped W/a Kalles 3-9X42 'American" scope.

Either 180gr Nosler Ballistic tips @ 3050-3100fps or a Speer 200gr Hotcore @ 2900-2950fps. The longer potential cartridge length will be efficient W/the longer, slimmer Ballistic tips so if the 108 BTs will shoot sub MOA they will get the nod, otherwise the 200gr Hotcores will serve.

An alternate weapon that may or may not be in a shootable state of completion would be a custom M98 Oberndorf "Classic" Mauser built on as '60s era VZ500 action, 24" barrel, exceptionally figured Black Walnut stock, topped W/a 3-9X33 Luepold Ultra-light scope. It will be chambered in 7X57 Mauser loaded to modern pressure (60K) spec's. 140gr Nosler Ballistic Tips @ 3060fps will put it squarely between hand loaded 7mm-08 & 280 Remington performance.

Edited by wildcat junkie

Either 180gr Nosler Ballistic tips @ 3050-3100fps or a Speer 200gr Hotcore @ 2900-2950fps. The longer potential cartridge length will be efficient W/the longer, slimmer Ballistic tips so if the 108 BTs will shoot sub MOA they will get the nod, otherwise the 200gr Hotcores will serve.

Wow those bullets are zipping along! 

That gun sounds like a real show piece, have you posted pics of it before?

Wow those bullets are zipping along! 

That gun sounds like a real show piece, have you posted pics of it before?

If you are referring to the 8mm-06 Ackley Improved, I originally built the gun in 2000. At that time, the barrel was turned too thin & it would walk the POI towards 11:00 about 1" at a time as successive shots were made. I never took a picture of it.

This time around I am employing a barrel from an earlier rendition of the M98 that had a 29" barrel (pre 98K)  that has more meat on the forward portion. This will allow a 26" finished barrel that will have more mass.IO am also using a hinged floorplate from a 1904 Portuguese. The stock will be recycled.

The extra barrel length W/modern high energy powders will gain about 150fps & a given pressure. The loads cited in the post will be running @ about 62,800psi for the 8mm-06 Ackley & just under 60,000psi for the 7X57.

If you are referring to the 8mm-06 Ackley Improved, I originally built the gun in 2000. At that time, the barrel was turned too thin & it would walk the POI towards 11:00 about 1" at a time as successive shots were made. I never took a picture of it.

This time around I am employing a barrel from an earlier rendition of the M98 that had a 29" barrel (pre 98K)  that has more meat on the forward portion. This will allow a 26" finished barrel that will have more mass.IO am also using a hinged floorplate from a 1904 Portuguese. The stock will be recycled.

The extra barrel length W/modern high energy powders will gain about 150fps & a given pressure. The loads cited in the post will be running @ about 62,800psi for the 8mm-06 Ackley & just under 60,000psi for the 7X57.

Oh, I didn't realize that the gun isn't "on the road yet",  she's still up on blocks in the garage. :)

• Like 1

Depends....I have my " new to me" OLD rifle  to wring out.

It's my recently acquired 03A3  Springfield 30-06, with a 1950 ish  Bishop stock and an old El Paso Weaver 2 x 7.

I bought it because at $250, it was too good a deal to pass up.  I've shot it a few times and it is very accurate with the same middle of the road  load that I use in my Garand M1....Plenty flat and powerful enough for deer out to 300 yards or so.

After it warms up a little and after I get through chasing turkeys this spring, I'll take it to the range and get more closely aquainted with it, and decide then whether to take hunting first day of season.

Oh, I didn't realize that the gun isn't "on the road yet",  she's still up on blocks in the garage. :)

When the barreled action gets back from Dennis Olsen it will take an afternoon's work glas bedding it into the stoc to get it shooting. The only thing left will be rust bluing the metal, but it will be a perfectly functional weapon after it is bedded into the stock.If the rust bluing doesn't get accomplished by deer season I have some cold blue that will suffice in the mean time.

I got my Norma MRP powder last Thursday so load development will be commencing shortly.

• Like 1