Winter peas, forage oat and clover

I just planted a 1/2 acre of winter peas, forage oats and clover yesterday 9/8.. I have never planted winter peas before, does anyone have any experience with these? as in if they need a frost to release sugars (like the faorage oats and brassicas) before deer will eat them or do they hit them as soon as they starting growing? just looking for an idea on what to expect. and what not. these are on a brand new, never worked plot.. i tried to set up as a "staging area" close to bedding, about 70 yards in the woods from my soybean field, this is actually still damp and moist, considering the "drought" this pass month and a half.. thanks for any info!

• Like 1

Thanks!  I will set up a cage this weekend actually, I didn't even think of that.

Grow, I have planted chicory and the deer never seem to eat it on our hill.. but cant seem to beat clovers.. ill frost seed this with clover again in late winter / early spring

I have high hopes for this location this fall! I planted it mainly for my fiance to get her first buck ever, this fall, hopefully with a bow! :) 

thanks Grow, i have heard that, if a crop fails to get eaten the first year, plant it again next yr cause it may take 2 years for them to "find it or see it as food".. i will have to try the chicory again then, same with the Groud hog radish, planted an acres worth instead of my turnips 2 years ago, (my mistake, should have mixed them) and the deer never even touched them! Even though they grew 2 ft tall, and a 12-16" radish

thanks Grow, i have heard that, if a crop fails to get eaten the first year, plant it again next yr cause it may take 2 years for them to "find it or see it as food".. i will have to try the chicory again then, same with the Groud hog radish, planted an acres worth instead of my turnips 2 years ago, (my mistake, should have mixed them) and the deer never even touched them! Even though they grew 2 ft tall, and a 12-16" radish

Typically, from what I have found, the deer dont eat the hog radish tubers, just the greens. Thats crazy that they didnt touch the greens though, those are the first things that get hammered on our plots.

• Like 1

i was shocked that they didn't touch them either. After all the articles and reviews and such i was pumped to test them, It was one of my go to late season spots too. I figured since they hammer all my turnips,then  they should hammer these for sure.. negative! They rotted fast too, after the first good frost. So maybe if anything, they helped build up the soil some. 

Thats what half of my one brassica plot looks like, they took right off the first 3-4 weeks, then stopped growing basically, some even died off. I Wanted to put some urea down Saturday but never got the chance to. Daddy duties.. Hopefully the rain alone will be enough to help

Between most of the surrounding neighbors and myself, we all have food plots and somewhat of a management plan, clover, oats to turnips, alfalfa, and even sanctuaries.. I planted 2 acres worth of soybeans this summer that have actually grown great(thanks to Irish spring soap).. pumped to see what they do this fall. 

Thanks to my fiance and her coupon hobby. i have hundreds of irish spring bar soap.

I put a stake in the ground every 40-50' apart and hung 1 bar of soap about 1.5-2" high per stake around the perimeter along with a pie tin.  a month later, a dozen or so throughout the middle of the plot.. ( I found out they would walk pass the smell-> into the center of the soybeans and then start eating.. they wouldn't touch the outside plants anywhere s near the soap stakes) must be the smell wasn't as strong in the center... And then refreshed them with new soap after about 30 days. just to make sure they would stay out.

I will tear down the stakes either once bow season starts or after the farmers pick the surrounding beans.. not sure yet. But this has worked great compared to last year where they ate everything once it was 3" high with no source of "fence".. 

I have beans in some spots that are up to my chest, but the majority is waist high.. and I am 5'9, but a ton, and i mean a ton of pods per stem!

• 2 weeks later...