The LAST of last year's squirrels

Pygmy

Any good recipe's you'd like to share?  I have been itching to go harvest some myself but I have a hard time getting the woman to eat them.

Pretty much any recipe is good. Bread them and fry them up in butter, simmer them in tomato sauce, put them in a stew or soup, its all good.

Edited by ants

Today I am doing them like my Mom used to cook them...

Simmer the disjointed squirrels in water with a sliced onion, salt, pepper, a bay leaf and and a shake or two of poultry seasoning until fork tender..Then remove pieces from the broth and sautee them in a pan in butter or margarine until golden brown...Season to taste...

However, here's my FAVORITE recipe..I didn't do them this way today because it is too hot to fire up the oven...

Shake the squirrels pieces in a bag with some flour, salt, coarse black pepper and poultry seasong until well coated..

In a skillet, brown the pieces in butter...

Place squirrel in a single layer roasting pan..Pour in some chicken broth to a level of about 1/2 inch..Cover pan tightly with foil...

Roast in a 300 degree oven about two hours, or until VERY tender.. Remove foil, turn up heat to about 400 and cook until liquid is reduced and squirrel is brown and crusty on top...

Make gravy from the pan drippings and serve over rice or taters..

So good you'll want to SLAP yo MOMMA !!

• Like 1

Frozen in water?

As the previous poster said, the water prevents freezer burn..

I clean and disjoint all of my squirrels in the woods..I end up with 5 pieces per squirrel, 4 legs and the back..I discard the ribs and neck..

I freeze the pieces in quart Ziploc freezer bags, usually about 3 squirrels per bag...Place the squirrel parts in the bag, then run cold tap water into the bag until full and seal.. I have found that squirrels or rabbits keep a year this way without freezer burn...Works well for fish fillets, too..