New to corn fields where do I start?

older042

https://www.change.org/p/saratoga-county-support-the-saratoga-county-animal-shelter-animals?recruiter=10005551&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=autopublish&utm_term=mob-xs-share_petition-no_msg

Finaly have permission to hunt here the big greenfield In the middle is all corn the dirt sport is now alfalfa. Never had the chance to hunt farm country and no sure where to start. I have scouted a little there is deer sign all over. I'm afraid I'm going to mess up somehow any help?

If it was me and it was this close to the season opener ,i would be setting up in the top left corner of the alfalfa field. Unless that is just a hedge row ,i would move down to where the dirt field meets the green field on the slight bend.

Edited by Jeremy K

I actually put a trail cam to the left of that point and got a picture of a decent buck but he's at 9:00am are the deer in the fields all night? Afraid to bust him right in the field if I try getting out there early. The corn is still standing but is getting cut Probley end of next week is that going to change everything ?

We have a very lush alfalfa field that has deer in it all season long ,even after the pressure gets put on during gun season. We always see deer in the field just before sundown , i think you may be spending the first days of hunting this property very cautious and glassing from a distance to make sure you can get in and out safely.   

standing corn is cover and food , deer dont have to leave. to pick a spot you need ease of access, wind direction. the down wind edge of corn where a deer cruises the edge looking for doe is a good place to start,cutting of the corn changes things as cover is lost. if its warm they wont be eating corn but will be in the alfalfa, look for the edge that get shade from a setting sun, deer love moving in shade and enter thru the shaded areas first.

the best advice to to hang a stand to get a deer that you might see(coming) than to see deer that you might get( watching deer at a distance to far to shoot is very fustrating) i'd rather have a deer pop out at 20 yards then watch in coming from 200yrds hoping i might get a shot at it.

• Like 1

A bunch of years ago, Gene and Barry Wentzel put out a video entitle bowhunting October Whitetails. They had a segment in there about hunting cornfields. I am not in an agricultural area anymore, so I have never had an opportunity to try it out. But basically it involved still hunting the corn slowly, a row at a time and catching deer bedded down right in the middle of the corn. Apparently a steady wind covers any noise that you might make. It looked kind of interesting.

I have seen deer rip corn off the stalk many times, it's loud and in the dark is puzzling if you let your mind wander, I'd look at corner of corn and alfalfa, if corn is cut check the inside corners looking for trail 20 yards or so inside the woods. And doc yes still hunting corn can work I missed one of the biggest bucks I ever shot at still hunting corn. But you really need land owner permission, knocking dow n stalks even accidentally does not make a farmer happy.

I've yet to see a deer eat a ear of corn off the stalk. If it's not sweet corn I'm betting that corn stays standing longer than the two weeks you are thinking. Some farmers left their corn standing a well into winter last year. Alfalfa field

They do it all the time lol. Just scout around a corn field, just around the edge, and youll see all kinds of evidence of it.

A bunch of years ago, Gene and Barry Wentzel put out a video entitle bowhunting October Whitetails. They had a segment in there about hunting cornfields. I am not in an agricultural area anymore, so I have never had an opportunity to try it out. But basically it involved still hunting the corn slowly, a row at a time and catching deer bedded down right in the middle of the corn. Apparently a steady wind covers any noise that you might make. It looked kind of interesting.

Bowhunting October Whitetails is one of the best hunting video's ever made! IMO.

Try to take a walk around the fields. At certain points you will find where main deer access trails enter the field. Try to set up inside the woods from the field 50 yards or so and down wind from the trail. The older bucks will stage here until dark so be ready for them! You will find a number of these runs on this property. Try to pick one that will give you a downwind access, to slip in and out with as little disturbance as possible. Looks like an awesome property to hunt! Best of luck to you this season!

• Like 1

I actually work for the farmer im trying to get him to wait until the week before to cut it we will see how that goes . I found his dad's old wood stand falling down from along time ago but I'm guessing he put it there for a reason so I'm going to start right there. It's just to the left of that little triangle that sticks out in the field kind of where the shadows are just south of the bottom left corner of the dirt where the alfalfa are now. I hope this is finaly the year I put one on the wall!

• Like 1

I actually work for the farmer im trying to get him to wait until the week before to cut it we will see how that goes . I found his dad's old wood stand falling down from along time ago but I'm guessing he put it there for a reason so I'm going to start right there. It's just to the left of that little triangle that sticks out in the field kind of where the shadows are just south of the bottom left corner of the dirt where the alfalfa are now. I hope this is finaly the year I put one on the wall!

be aware that while old wooden stands my have helped take deer, it doesn't mean they're in the best spot to keep from being busted.  I've seen and hunted out old stand locations to find the wind sucked a majority of the time or a one and done stand.  also it's ag ground.  farmers like blowing out hedge rows and changing the landscape to make fields or field access better.  we've got old stand locations that are dead but they used to be great when the landscape was different.  best stand I know got ruined doing those kind of changes too.

I'd do some homework from a far first.  your bound to screw up, as we all are.  your odds will be better though in my opinion.

Used to hunt in the hills of southern Ontario County near the Yates County border where there were hundreds of acres of corn. They would cut during gun season (actually they cut overnight at times) most of the time and if I woke in the dark and heard those cutters I was like a school kid... today will be a good day. They always cut from the east side to our side and our woods were first cover... got a lot of big boys sneaking out of that corn....