2013 Buck Euro Mount

WNYBuckHunter

I realized that I completely forgot to post this. Back in the early spring I finally took my 2013 buck head to be cleaned up and whitened. I got it back and it looked great. Last year while I was out scouting, I found some 100+ year old hemlock fence posts that were fallen down on the farm that I took him on, so I got the idea to use one of those, along with the old, rusty barbed wire as a way to mount the skull. Heres how it turned out, looks pretty good I think.

9E594833-EFF4-4E65-9314-BFD8C716B311_zps

D8F8EA13-96E3-4265-A263-E454C7C92634_zps

• Like 11

A neighbor kid did a European mount for me on an older buck a few years ago using the standard, boil it repeatedly and scrape method. He shot a young buck and was going to do that one, so I figured it would be just as easy for him to do (2). Mine turned out pretty good, but his 1-1/2 year skull got a little cracked up. It looked like a real pain of a job, messy, smelly, and time-consuming. I still have not "whitened" mine, but it don't look too bad the natural color. My wife is not crazy about it, and the kids think it is a little "scary" looking. I think it looks cool hanging on a rough wooden beam similar to that post.

The next time I do one, I am going to use the "pressure-washer" method to clean the skull. I have heard from several friends that it works very good: fast, no smell, but still some mess I suppose. As long as I do it "out behind the barn" that should be ok. I garbage picked a nice high-pressure washer this spring, so I am ready to go. Another friend digs a big hole and covers the skull with dirt, letting nature take its course over the winter and spring. I don't think I have enough patience for that. It would look nice to have another one hanging on the opposite side of that beam at the front of our bar. Last years rifle-season buck would have been perfect, almost a match for the one the kid did for me, but my father-in-law really wanted a regular mount for his new Adirondack camp.

Edited by wolc123

• 2 weeks later...