QDM is ruining deer hunting

fingerlakesfur

I don't agree with posting his personal info and making it that personal.  Online bullying starts that way and can get a bit vicious.  Some might see it all and run with it a little too far.  HOWEVER....... HAHA!.... don't call him names?? really??  he basically took the first shot and called many on here an idiot and said we're ruining hunting.  if cupcake didn't care for heat he wouldn't have started a fire.  i'll keep it civil though....

his post was really beyond his control.  he's huffed beaver castor, feces, and urine one too many times and apparently that's getting to him.  maybe if we all encouraged him lay off it a little while, he could convey thoughts of wisdom that do not seem to be derived from the anal region.  you know what if he's willing to accept, I'll donate at least a handful of coyote pelts with 300 win mag holes in them to help pay for his rehabilitation.  come on folks lets help the guy out!

Oh for goodness sakes. just type his screen name into google and up pops

http://nytrappers.tripod.com/rondy.html

His name and screen name is right there on the trappers site all linked together nicely. And he has a fully open to the public facebook page.

Freaking "bullying"? with adults. damned country if turning into a bunch of pu$$ies

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 4

It seems that everyone is not on board with the QDM mantra. Free thinkers still have their place around this campfire. Please do not call him names. If you disagree with his points, address them in the best way you can. We are better than making these "ad hominem" attacks which is becoming too frequent here.

I hope I didn't hurt his feelings, LOL :taunt:

It seems that everyone is not on board with the QDM mantra. Free thinkers still have their place around this campfire. Please do not call him names. If you disagree with his points, address them in the best way you can. We are better than making these "ad hominem" attacks which is becoming too frequent here.

In general, I tend to agree with you, but apparently some of the members here have had some "history" with this guy. And he did come off pretty strong with basically a super-unfriendly flail at a good percentage of the members, and he had to realize what he was doing ...... and so I will assume it was intentional.

This looks like a good thread for me to stay the hell out of ..... lol. It began with open warfare, and likely will end in the same way.

• Like 3

Belo,

I don't have time to stand in my yard to look for things that Piss me off as you say. Though my being honest about what it's like in this area and speaking of it seems to piss you off...that's your issue not mine...I just happen to be out side most of the time...I'm observant and where .....please point out ...where when mentioned that..... did I say it pissed me off?...It was a statement of fact.....

I find it humorous you seem drawn to my posts even though you show such disdain for my words. Let me ask you do you seek them out just to find something to"Piss you off"? :rolleyes:

Edited by growalot

The ny trappers forum maybe...

I was shocked this an actual forum.I was more shocked that this person is a Mod there. Proboards? I didn't even think they still existed.

ha.....  rob around it would mean this...A pickup truck  with the bed lined with Orange clad guys ,barrels sticking in the air driving down the roads looking to get on any non posted/ known out of state land owners property for a quick shoot and scoot. I see them drive by at least once a year...and they usual contain not one guy that actually lives on the hill.

So, pretty much what I have in my head. Never heard that term used before. I also get visions of movies where a bad guy hires a bunch of people to get rid of his competition. I have heard of hunters like that though, and I cannot repeat the "phrases/terms" used for those people, to many F-bombs.

I also don't see farmers not willing to renew a lease unless the lessee may have violated the lease. Like a few mentioned, most farmers aren't giving up more or less 'free money'. Which is kind of what it is, they already have the land, and if it's wooded and they are not farming it, getting cold hard cash in hand to let a hunter hunt that area helps pay the taxes. It's not like the lease would have a line reading:

"You must kill at least 4 deer per year."

as a binder. No guarantee you will get one, much less 4.

We all have opinions about QDM. Some agree some don't. I really don't see it "ruining" deer hunting in NY though. If anything, the human population growing is putting more hunters in the woods, more competition to be out bid on a lease, and more pressure on public land.

EDIT:

I also want to add, that just because private land isn't posted, you still have no right on there without permission.

Edited by ....rob

I was shocked this an actual forum.I was more shocked that this person is a Mod there. Proboards? I didn't even think they still existed.

So, pretty much what I have in my head. Never heard that term used before. I also get visions of movies where a bad guy hires a bunch of people to get rid of his competition. I have heard of hunters like that though, and I cannot repeat the "phrases/terms" used for those people, to many F-bombs.

I also don't see farmers not willing to renew a lease unless the lessee may have violated the lease. Like a few mentioned, most farmers aren't giving up more or less 'free money'. Which is kind of what it is, they already have the land, and if it's wooded and they are not farming it, getting cold hard cash in hand to let a hunter hunt that area helps pay the taxes. It's not like the lease would have a line reading:

"You must kill at least 4 deer per year."

as a binder. No guarantee you will get one, much less 4.

We all have opinions about QDM. Some agree some don't. I really don't see it "ruining" deer hunting in NY though. If anything, the human population growing is putting more hunters in the woods, more competition to be out bid on a lease, and more pressure on public land.

EDIT:

I also want to add, that just because private land isn't posted, you still have no right on there without permission.

Shocked he is a mod there? What would your reaction be if he were a long-standing board member/officer of the New York State Trappers Association? That'd be a real shocker.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, no doubt, and that I will support his ability to do so 100%. But, you just have to wonder about some people in certain roles when they respond the way they do...

I think the guy truly hates QDM and might not really know what it truly is, only what he has witnessed... Although I don't hate it, I am not a big fan of what it has become either.. or maybe I should say, the way many hunters and groups practice it. The original concept is a very sound management plan, but somewhere it got sidetracked. It was never intended to be a trophy buck managing program or a deer farming program, big bucks just happen to be a beneficial bi-product of a sound and complete deer management program. It was never intended to piss off hunters, it was intended to help hunters understand how they could improve habitat, balance deer herds, and improve the health of the overall herd in that habitat. Although the OP doesn't have much tact, some of what he says is what many others feel about what QDM has become. Many of the hunters that practice or think they practice "QDM" on their property, should take the time to read carefully some original material from the early 90s on what it is really about. Lose the managing for big bucks mentality and the food plotting mentality and take a close look at what the real objectives are with an open mind... you might find yourself enlightened by what you discover about what the meaning of QUALITY really is in Quality Deer Management. Hint: It is not just about the quality of the bucks or the size of your food plots, or even the number of trail cams you put out.

Edited by nyantler
  • Like 1

Shocked he is a mod there? What would your reaction be if he were a long-standing board member/officer of the New York State Trappers Association? That'd be a real shocker.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, no doubt, and that I will support his ability to do so 100%. But, you just have to wonder about some people in certain roles when they respond the way they do...

Yeah, that would make me shake my head even more.

For two reasons.

1) If you are a board member of of an association held in that regard, I would hope you would have a little tact in how you approach issues in the public.

2) PROBOARDS? Yes I say that again because if you hold such a high position, one would think you care enough about it pay for a site. You can get good hosting for about $50 a year these says. If I wanted to be taken seriously, held a position like that, I would drop the lousy $50 a year.

Now, I am laughing and shaking my head. I am not trying to insult or degrade the OP. But, if he rally holds a position like that and he blasts this out here and not in his free forum, I think he needs a head check worse then you all think I do. LMAO!

The original goal and what is being done are't actually off the page from each other. A few paragraphs need to be adjusted and see what happens. The fine tune the sentences and punctuation. At this point, as a land owner you are not required to be a part, it's an option.

The original post was like trying to read the words on a shirt while it's spinning it's the washer. You get sort of dizzy and feel sick.

Most deer hunters I know go in the woods 3 times a year....& one of them is to check their stand the day before the season opens.

Tie up hundreds of acres of land with their city bucks so trappers & small game hunters cannot have any access because they "might" be out there on Thanksgiving

A lot of city people are losing their leases here in Central NY because THEY NEVER KILL ANY DEER...farmers call us all the time to come in & put a kill group together & fill some tags

I do my duty as a deer hunter in NY & fill my tags...I'm in the woods year round running traps, fishing, root hunting...you name it. 

Deer hunters only in the woods 3 times ( sure, maybe those 'kill groups' ), trappers and small game hunters in the woods on Thanksgiving ( WTH does this have to do QDM. ), never kill any deer.............

Seems like he was just venting, fine by me. But some coherency would have been great. Or explanations of what he was trying to get across.

I do my duty as a deer hunter in NY & fill my tags

Doesn't sound like QDM is hurting him too much.

Wait, free thinkers? So are you saying that those that practice QDM arent free thinkers, as in you are calling them sheep in a round about way? Thats nice.

Free thinkers are fine . What the OP was talking about actually had nothing to do with with real QDM . And , the way he started his posting deserved little respect .

With the babble he wrote already I doubt he has any facts to back up his words except big city folks are buying his previous hunting grounds and now he needs to find a new spot.  I am done with this post.

money talks and it pisses people off. Mostly it pisses people off because they don't have it. It does not buy happiness, but it sure does make life easier. If you buy a 1/4 lot and someone clears the woods behind you to put in a development you're SOL. Unless you own it, anything is game. Even leases aren't forever. Neighbor lets you hunt his land, then his daughter marries a hunter. You're SOL. Old lady sells her land to a hunter? You're SOL. Pony up and pay to play or hunt some public land.

Edited by Belo
  • Like 2

The guy who started this tread may have a point.
The planting of food plots is not habitat improvement, or good forest management selective harvest of trees and planting more desirable trees is. Letting a field revert back to woodlands is good habitat improvement.

The guy who started this tread may have a point.

The planting of food plots is not habitat improvement, or good forest management selective harvest of trees and planting more desirable trees is. Letting a field revert back to woodlands is good habitat improvement.

oh, he may very well have had a good point.........but, he lost me with his opening line, so I never got to it....he needs to work on his delivery.

• Like 1

Letting a field revert back to woodlands is good habitat improvement.

Not necessarily.  At least most plots and farm fields for that matter offer great early successional habitat at the boarders and  a mature wood landscape offers little for wildlife. The transitional edges around plots and fields are not only great places to hunt but, in many cases can offer forage that is superior to the plot or ag field themselves.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 2