.308 ruger American

YFKI1983

I have an American in 25-06. I shot it for the first time a couple weeks ago. After sight in I got less than 1" groups at 100 yards with Hornady American White tail 117gr.

I know a few guys who have these rifles and they all shoot great. One guy ,who has one in 308, uses the Federal Fusions.

I think the Ruger American will shoot just about anything well. Start with the cheapest ammo. If it shoots well stick with it. If not then work your way up.

• Like 1

I just this last sunday ranging and practicing with my American .308.  Out to 150yds, with a shooting stick (Primos Polecat Mono), using 150gr Winchester Power Point, I was grouping about 5-6 inches with 5 shot groups.

Any fliers in my grouping were definitely my fault.  I felt it when I pulled the shot.  The rifle is way more accurate than I am, that's for sure!

I tried 150gr Federal Powershok and my groups opened up to about 8-10 inches.

I rotated ammo every 5 shots, and did 2 boxes of each so the difference wasnt a cold vs. warm barrel.

Havent tried fusion yet, but I am pretty satisfied with the results from the Winchester Powerpoint.

• Like 1

I set it up with federal ballistic tip and am getting 1.5 inch groups. I accidentally bought a box of federal trophy copper tip which I'm not allowed to return.

I called federal and they told me shooting at 50-100 yards the difference in pint of impact won't be more than 1 inch to 1.5 so when I finish the ballistics it shouldn't be too hard to adjust

I used to use the Winchester ballistic tips in my 30-06 but switched to a heavier constructed bullet. I killed 4 or 5 deer with them but did not get an exit hole on 2 of them at close range, All dead deer, I just prefer 2 holes in the event of a misplaced hit. Honestly regular old soft points are hard to beat as long as your rifle likes them... Premium ammo is not necessary on whitetails

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Fehyd643- The 5 inch groups you're getting could be the result of using the shooting stick. The American stock is pretty light and flimsy. The barrel is free floated, but the stock will touch the barrel with enough pressure exerted on the forearm of the stock.

I don't have an American, but I did have a Savage with the same problem. When I shot it off a bipod the POI shifted all over the place. I switched out the stock for a B&C, fixed the issue.

The Americans seem to be fine when using a bipod or bag rest. My guess would be less pressure is exerted on the stock with those methods than a shooting stick. Maybe try that out and see what happens. Your American is capable of ~1-2 MOA groups at 100 yds. If that doesn't work, I think Boyds is making laminated and walnut stocks for them now.

Just some FYI for you. I almost picked an American when I bought my M77 Hawkeye, but I wanted the 20 inch Ultralight. Heck of a rifle. The American was 2nd on my list.

I use Barnes Vor-tx in my .308. I made the switch to all copper last year. I don't want my wife to be eating lead-laden meat in her peak child-bearing years. It groups well and both deer I have seen shot with it dropped in their tracks. Neither one took a step.