Anyone ever user Blackhorn 209 powder??

BKhunter

Has anyone used this powder before? I have been searching for something to make cleanup easier, and supposedly you can use normal cleaning solvents with this powder. I have serious problems with fowling cleaning my TC, no matter how many swabs I rub down the bore it looks clean and then I come back and I can see some build up in the barrel and have to re-clean. I have heard good things about this powered and was curious if anyone has used it. I am also concerned with its reliability and how it performs so that plays a factor as well.

I made the switch after trying pellets . It is very clean(compared to pellets) . I have never had a misfire since making the switch , except for the primers ,i switched to a federal shot primer instead of a weaker muzzle loader primer. Occasionally ,say every 5-10 shots ill push a brush through the bore but i havent noticed a change in shot placement or amount of force to load a round before or after the brush. It really is hands down better then anything else you can buy . 

I love it! But. Make sure your gun manufacturer doesn't make a breech plug specifically for 209...normally has a bigger opening. Also most guns shoot bh209 better with magnum primers!

Pa,

I have a TC Triumph. Do you think it will work well in this rife? Also, I have been using the winchester 209 primers but I heard CCI is the way to go. Any thoughts here?

• 2 weeks later...

How are you guys measuring your follow up shots in the field? I'm the only member of my camp that black powder hunts and never had anyone show me the ropes. Thats why I always stuck to pellets. I plan on taking a trip to bass pro in October and buying a bunch down in Atlantic City to avoid the Haz Mat fees.

How are you guys measuring your follow up shots in the field? I'm the only member of my camp that black powder hunts and never had anyone show me the ropes. Thats why I always stuck to pellets. I plan on taking a trip to bass pro in October and buying a bunch down in Atlantic City to avoid the Haz Mat fees.

Measure your charges at home and put in quick fill containers (there's a ton of them). I actually use the BH brand containers.

CCI 209M primers work very well with BH209.

BKHunter you don't need to go to AC to get blackhorn 209 powder there are LG here on LI who sell it. and not too far from Brooklyn in Nassau county. There is a shop on sunrise  called LI outdoors

BKHunter you don't need to go to AC to get blackhorn 209 powder there are LG here on LI who sell it. and not too far from Brooklyn in Nassau county. There is a shop on sunrise  called LI outdoors

I know but I have to go down to AC during halloween for my cousins fights and they just built a bass pro there. Figured I would rather loose my money there then at the tables and at least come home with some new toys.

Hawkenwoodsman,

nice handle.  first what do you mean by "LG"?

Second, I'll be down on the Island in a week or so, what town is LI outdoors in?  I'll be out in Southold (my 'ole hometown).

I know but I have to go down to AC during halloween for my cousins fights and they just built a bass pro there. Figured I would rather loose my money there then at the tables and at least come home with some new toys.

I've been to bass pro shop in AC I think its too expensive and not a lot of muzzleloader assorerys. your better off going to cableas in PA they have a better selection.

I'm telling you guys give ed's gun shop a try. They have a huge muzzloader supply with powders and bullets and the price can't be beat. Carlos runs that side of it and he is a great guy to deal with. You won't be disappointed

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...