2015 HuntingNY Archery Harvest Thread

WNYBuckHunter

post-205-0-07295000-1446828986.jpg

So haven't been on in a while but thought id add to the meat pole. was finally able to get out on oct 27th for an evening sit. 15 min after climbing into the stand this guy shows up at 4:30.  10 points  17in spread. prolly make 130 I would guess. shortest bow season ever.

• Like 31

The plan was to hunt to 9:00 then for Joe and I to put a new rather large ladder stand as Joe had be leave by 10:30 and I needed help putting it up. Joe went into the thick stuff and saw 4 bucks and 1 doe, while I saw nothing.....

Then this guy crossed a large field and entered the woods I'd say 100 west of me around 8:45 or so. A bit later I saw antlers heading my way, I stood up,with bow ready he's coming straight towards me , he passes and at less then ten yards I shoot.

Rear quartering but I hit high! No pass through either, he ran a bit than walked off, I heard one snap.

30 minutes later I thought I'd check the blood but figured I'd be coming back in 6 hours to look. Blood was very good an easy track he went about 100 yards.

6 pt, no brow tines.

I know not a nice woods picture but I got a kick out of this picture !

post-253-0-59237400-1446917855_thumb.jpg

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 39

post-6609-14469952204198_thumb.jpg

By no means a trophy hunter. Well for starters, last night I sat in the same spot, there's a camp that is highly inactive, never have actually seen anyone there until this year, but they decided to stay there this weekend. This one came in but got spooked from the kids tuning around playing. Now, it's about 300 yds from me, I was quite upset. Got up this morning debating, said screw it I'll give it another shot. "Maybe they'll sleep in" haha. Well they did. This guy came in quick like he was on a mission. Right from the corn field about 200yds to my left. He got right under me about 10yds, I blat to him to get him to stop, no interest, finally slowed up enough and let one rip and I dropped him! Hit him high behind the shoulder clipped the spine. Can finally say I got a buck with a bow. Time to be more selective now! Awesome morning!

• Like 29

1C

Sat on a bedding area stand from 12:00-3, hadn't seen squat so I decided to high tail it down the road to another spot that rarely produces bucks in daylight but sq some chasing in the distance there last evening. Snuck into my favorite doe stand in an island of woods surrounded by a green strip of grass. Was set up for about five minutes, gave a bleat call and a few minutes later out pops a shooter. Heads right into field in front of me and to my left a bit and feeds for about five minutes quartering heavily to me at 30 yards. Shaking like a leaf, thinking it should be a chip shot when he starts feeding up the lane and turns broadside. Ofcourse he has other ideas and starts heading towards the scrape in the middle of the island. Have to spin around and and change my position so I have a chance between the tree limbs. He catches my movement before I can draw. I hold and he takes his eye off me just enough to pull back and let it fly. Rushed the shot a little but watched the rage hypo and gold tip xt hunter shaft do a complete pass through.

Waited an anxious 40 minutes. Blood was good. Bubbles. Walk up a hill and can see him lying just inside wood line. Monkey off my back!!

Clipped the top of both lungs! He couldn't of weighed more than 120lbs dressed. Looks to be only 2yr old. But non the less my best bow buck to date. Couldn't be happier

0b552c6b0a341c9e4532ec594bd11248.jpg

• Like 32

I went to the insider corner stand as I said and saw a tiny fawn eating in the farmers corn and then nothing until 4 :10... When I heard steps coming down out of the neighbors "sanctuary" a huge doe strolls out and hits the other neighbor behind me....she mills around a bit and looks back up the hill...out of the slashings come a string of big doe and a couple of young ones 8 all told... they were just some of the biggest mature doe I've ever seen on the hill...and they started headed my way...I drew just as one crossed the line and I had a very small opening to shoot ...her head hit it and POOF...a fight breaks out behind her and they all scatter..For crying out loud where did my luck go this year!...I let down and wait...well it's hard to see for the neighbors golden rod is brown and 5ft tall and there are slashings all around the property line between me and the golden rod...I can hear and just see some movement...they are chasing and I see one little one getting stomped..literally ,hind leg standing beat down...he come walking in on the other side of me and I see a bigger doe behind him ...she slaps him again and I see a size difference but thats about it...the others are no where near...he cross past the tree and she is right behind...I figure now or never and draw...just as they pass my tree going into our woods I have a dinner plate opening so I set my self on that...her head and neck came through and just as her shoulder showed I released.....she turned on a dime and went right back to the neighbors golden rod ..I heard a crash and silence....The shot did not sound right and I could not see my arrow........it was about 15 yrds and it was more of a crack than thwack...I checked and it was 4 :25 I sat and thought man sun down at 4:54 and I have had one other no blood track in that golden rod for an 8pt...not fun..it is basically tracking deep fresh hoof prints in moss...4:39 I decide to look for the arrow...perfect solid blood and hair...OK 3 drops of blood then nothing...I watched where she went and THANK GOD I am good at pin pointing the direction of sound...I hit the golden rod and found her dug in tracks...kept looking back at my stand and would squat to look through stems... trails  and beds ,rubs where every which way...took another look at the stand 30yrds in...... squated down and closed my eyes to think...then scanned to my right...there was her back 10 yrds away...

Well unfortunately she was no where near the size of the other deer...but no complaints here.... after that first release flub...then not being able to even move my bow string and everyone going nocturnal...perfact night to hang and tender meat...going out now to process...shot hit high shoulder and exited at her elbow ....caught both lungs..no blood at either wound?? She was full though...

• Like 26

11/7/2015 Avoca, Steuben County 8P 4:15pm

Single lung and liver hit... let the deer lay over night.. Called the finger lakes deer search just to be safe.. Josh Prouty came from Hornell, NY with his beuatiful 7yr old Golden retriever "Rosston", I was not going to chance it, liver hits do not bleed much, and he was in big serious thick golden rod and briars patch.. The retriever found him in 15 minutes.. about 150 yards from the "crime scene". I knew his general whereabouts (2nd bed) if he hadnt made it even further, but again i wasn't chancing it.. Ive passed a TON of bucks through the years, and this guy was #4 on my hit list this year so I couldn't pass him up! 

post-5238-0-68243100-1447073695_thumb.jp

post-5238-0-13409100-1447074717_thumb.jp

• Like 37

A friend from work who I have been mentoring and introduced to bow hunting got this 7 point below. This is his first year hunting, first deer ever and first with a bow. I had been posting updates in live in the stand but wanted to update the conclusion and a few lessons learned. Im still relatively new as well this being my 6th year and have only about 10 under my belt. We did somethings right but a few wrong too and hope other newbies may learn from my mistakes. My friend shot this deer 8:40 11/8. Waited an hour to climb down to CSI shot site since he didn’t see the deer go down and no idea where he had hit the deer. We found the arrow for a clean pass through covered in nice red blood tip to tail. No gut smell no indication of anything amiss except white hairs. There wasn’t much blood after initial shot location so we were warry to pursue. The trail was very difficult to pick up as we spent a lot of time looking where he believed he last saw the buck. We only searched in like a 50 yrd range since we didn’t have much info to go on.  Based on the scarcity of blood we decided to pull out and wait for a friend to assist. We were back at it about 4 hours after the initial shot. Picked up last blood and determined the buck had gone the complete opposite direction of where he believed he last saw him and where we had been searching initially. The blood trail was weak and we were slow going, mainly relying on tracks in the leaves.  About 200 yrds from shot we found an empty bed with bright red blood with bubbles. So, our guess at this point was a high shot, one lung, possibly hitting gut, maybe liver, as there was one small spot along the blood trail that was gritty and smelly of gut. This is where we made our 2nd mistake. We should of pulled out and just come back the next morning. But we didn’t. We pushed thinking four hours since shot and lung blood we should be good. The blood continued to be sparse and was heading for some pretty thick stuff about 500 yrds from first shot. The blood wasn’t wet so we assumed that being dried up it was older, that we mused of pushed him earlier when looking at shot site the first time.  However we were wrong and eventually bumped him. So we left him over night. Now it was just me and my friend we were able to pick up blood from where we bumped him but it was gone in like 40yrds. We were now searching a narrow deer trail through weeds and interspersed pricker bushes from waste to shoulder high.  Did the hands and knees for 100yrds and no blood it was gone. We did a grid search and nothing for that whole area.  Guessed maybe he went over a small wall based on the deer trail. Followed that for another 100yrds in to even thicker and nastier weeds and pricker patches that were now over head in many areas. Decided to grid back to where we finished our last grid. Four hours later As we got to about 5 ft from where we finished our first grid, my friend says there’s a deer bedded there. I shout, no that’s your deer and the celebration began.  [/url]">http://Markdeer.jpg

[/url]">http://http://s1134.photobucket.com/user/kurtrudolph/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-11/FullSizeRender.jpg.html'>FullSizeRender.jpg

• Like 32

I left at 5am and headed the 1/2 mile to the swamp stand...20 yrds from the stand I literally step on a grouse(first in a long time) and land on my back side...lol...heart attacks with wings...get to the stand not spooking or hearing one deer...get set up ...slowly turn with bow in hand to sit..There she blows....snort snort  snort For Petes sake... it was dark and she was up wind of me...Thought all this for naught and forgot cell and seat pad to boot...I heard a lot  gutteral grunts and trees snapping, running around and another grouse flushed...then it was light enought to see and I had doe to my left and behind me eating apples...called in a 4pt and then closed my eyes a bit, heard some dang strange sounding birds saw a mink and lots of red squirrel then caught a flash of wht where the doe had been...I saw short tines and thought nah...then he came in and had a big body...a swamp buck and One was on my do list...So I stood...he was coming in fast and I saw the direction...I zeroed in on him and ma,ma'd to no avail my shoulder was starting to burn and I had ranged where he was earlier 30-35 yards and I was loosing ground when I screamed MA!!!...just as he slowed and turned his head I hit my release....Another shot that didn't sound right!...I watched and listend but didn't see him come though the direction he headed and everything was silent...CRAP now it's starting to rain..Was it 11am already? No cell no clock...I waited around 10 mins and said I have to check...I go to where he was when I shot and no arrow. ...no tracks because there were millions of them and deep in the mud and water...But blood..blood every where...and it went right into the nastiest wild rose on the property..20 yards and there he was...OMG how'd he mange to get so big...lol I knew I was in trouble...small rack but looked smaller due to his body...and I could not budge him...Went back to the house and got our son who was there helping his Dad get some work done...Thank you lord..that never happens...I know it had to be just about 9am when I shot him......So I have my swamp buck and even though the arrow looked like I hit him far back(on heart side) it center punched his pump and took out the lungs exiting his opposite arm pit...which I'm still trying to figure out..he must have been turning away from my shot when it hit??

• Like 31

I hope this story is not too long and that the picture appears right side up. Short story...I got my first archery deer on Sunday. Long story follows.

I went out to my "deer camp," my dad and step mother's cabin. It sits on a pond outside Penn Yan and surrounded by fields and hardwoods. Yesterday, I woke up at the cabin feeling like crap. I definitely had a bad cold, could hardly swallow. So I turned off the alarm and went back to sleep. The sky brightens and I wake up and decide to start packing up to go home, totally bummed that I can't get out on such a perfect day. I look out the window and here come four doe, two were huge. Headed right past the cabin. It's now legal light. I start running round the cabin looking for my release and wondering how to get outside without being noticed. No dice. Too much noise and they hold up looking at the door of the cabin. Eventually they decide to head into the scrub on the other side of them, but something in there causes them to change their mind. They retreat to the woods they way they came.

Now I'm thinking, "hmmmm...I feel a little better now that I've had a little excitement." I find some Advil in my first aid kit, take it and start to get dressed to go out. Meanwhile two bucks come out of the corner where the does decided against going. Just so happens that they are on my route to my blind. I was held hostage by them till 8:00.

After walking in with a blinding headache I get in the blind, which is 70 yards in from a field edge in dense dense scrub. Just a little intersection of trails that happens in the tiniest of openings in that dense stuff is where I'm sitting. I'd cut a hole in the vines that the blind is crammed into for a shooting lane just the night before. After 15 minutes I see deer running through the field. Looks like a buck chasing a doe, hard to tell. Could be the larger buck I saw chasing off another youngster. I decided to use the grunt tube I'd never used before. It worked. The big guy does not break stride, but within minutes three smaller bucks show up. I've been waiting years for my first archery deer. I don't care what it is as long as it's over a year old.

Because it's so dense, it's hard to see them, other than general size. I determine that the first one is a four point buck and is one I'd be happy to have as my first bow deer. As he approaches I shift in my seat, giving myself a Charlie horse. Oh shit. I was sure this would end with my Charlie horse not allowing me to shoot. But I determined I could ignore it because of the excitement in front of me and it would go away. He comes into the intersection and I "meeh" at him to stop him. He stops with just the slightest quartering to. He's 12 yards away. I'm not shaking and I'm wondering if it's because I'm too tired and sick, dreaming, or what. I let it fly. I hear it hit. His reaction is as if someone next to him just gave him a sharp poke in the side. He runs off down the thickest of corridors making a racket for about 50 yards, my arrow sticking out of his side. All I can think is, "that was too far back. I never miss to the left." I can suddenly feel the Charlie horse again and the shakes begin.

I waited an hour and a half. Meantime, two more bucks show up. Second was smaller, third was the largest. I practice drawing on them. Neither notice me. I'm amazed. I again begin to wonder if I'm dreaming. I set out to track him. He's 50 yards down the trail. Caught one lung and the liver. He fell onto the arrow. I had to push the half that was left in him though his hind quarter to be able to field dress him. How it didn't cut the stomach or intestines on the way in is beyond me. But it was clear that it had to continue forward or it certainly would. This was a puzzle I was not expecting to have to solve.

Turns out he has the tiniest 8 point rack. It's downright cute. My huge hands help make it look even smaller in the pic. It reminds me of the replica of Stonehenge in "This is Spinal Tap."

He's my first archery deer and the result of my quest to develop grit after the death of my mother. She died a year and a half ago after a long fight with breast cancer. I shot him on her birthday. He's being mounted and will hang in my house to remind me of the power of perseverance. post-3006-0-03097800-1447210702_thumb.jp

• Like 28

Shot this buck at 8:45am this morning cruising a bedding area, popped out at 32yds and double lunged him. I've let a lot of young bucks pass and haven't shot a buck in a few years because I wanted a deer I'd be proud to tag. I don't have private land to hunt so to kill a good buck on public land makes it that much sweeter. Awesome day!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

post-5688-14472634101683_thumb.jpg

post-5688-14472634461456_thumb.jpg

• Like 40

My friend harvested this beast yesterday Long Island public land. He was all rutted up tarsals jet black and stinking. He came in to my buddy's tree and just started to turn away when my friend hit the grunt tube and pulled him back. He said he came in head low, ears back and lips curled. He was on the trail of 2 does and a spike which had passed a few minutes earlier. What a great buck!!!!!...too bad i had to work. Cant wait to get out Saturday and hopefully get a chance!!

post-604-0-97138400-1447283228_thumb.jpg

post-604-0-79139200-1447283238_thumb.jpg

post-604-0-75541500-1447283247_thumb.jpg

• Like 28

Got this little fella tonite. I've seen him now 4 times in the last month without a doe around. Well I've passed up shots on him twice, I've been out of steaks since August so he didn't get a third pass. Unfortunately first shot clipped a branch and went high and spined him, I quickly followed up with another shot square in the shoulder. Happy to be having tenderloin for dinner tomorrow. O I passed on a decent 6 point a half hour before he came out. That will be a nice buck next year.

post-6006-0-43352600-1447290962_thumb.jp

• Like 24

Howdy all, I got this 4 point in Madison County near Hamilton last Saturday 11/7.  He was the 8th buck I saw that day and the first to offer me a clean broadside shot at 18 yards.  I hit him about 4pm so by the time I got down and tracked him down it was getting late so hence the darker first picture.

2015%20bow%20buck_zpscqjtirtj.jpg

2015%20bow%20buck%202_zpslbupx4ge.jpg

• Like 31

Try to post one more time. I don't know what I am doing wrong. This is the biggest buck I have taken gun or bow. Small compared to a lot of the deer on here but I was wicked excited. Arrowed him yesterday morning.

I don't understand what is going on here....I got my pic of my doe up no problem at all. It isn't giving me the option to Edit my posts either...Its like someone else wrote them....Last Try on a different computer...

post-4816-0-04842100-1447639189_thumb.jp

• Like 24

decided to take a personel health day .....hit the woods on friday the 13 got up early to get my spot  as hunting on county property is a first come basis.....well the walk in i spooked 5 deer all hung up in these spruce trees . i continue to my location about another 100yrds  set up   and see nothing all mornig   i called it quiets around 9  i walk out all my gera is on my back  tree stand and backpack...im walikng up the trail back to my truck  and i know from past walking past the spruce trees and thikets  thay  alway are there so arrow is knoked .....i come up to the area   and i here them in there and see one jumping around   it that thick  lol ...i have a nice opening   30yrs   and a buck comes out and my  harts pounding   i have all my gera on my back the shot is 30yrs threw this sh#$%   but i have a good window  and i feel good about shot so i let it rip.......hes not big  but its friday the 13   small 5/6   right in the boiler room

post-6631-0-21516900-1447777277_thumb.jp

post-6631-0-79356400-1447777289_thumb.jp

post-6631-0-43230300-1447777301_thumb.jp

• Like 21

11/7/15... Around 4:45pm my father shoots his first deer/buck with archery equipment this a 10pt  chased a group of doe to 10yrds and thanks to Hellrazor broadheads and the shot placement the deer only runs about 40yrds! (first buck picture)

11/17/15... it was my turn, 9:20am this 7pt with a broken brow tine (would be 8pt) was dogging a yearling doe into 15yrds but offered no shot opportunity and eventually made his way onto a neighboring property. i was feeling cursed at that point, i worked very hard this off-season and the days leading up to the 17th for a shot opportunity at a shooter buck and was so close but he had slipped away. Around 9:30am this buck reappears in some thick stuff in the neighbors property but i can tell he was looking to cross the line to continue on through my property. At this point he was behind the stand and i was unsure which side of the tree he would approach on if he was to even come into a shooting lane. I decided to try usng the primos estrous can, turned the can twice and here he came to about 29 yrds quartering away and i was able to slip a Easton FMJ and a Grimeaper broadhead in and he expired within 60yrds. (Last two pictures)

So ultimately two bucks were taken out of the same stand just 10 days apart, needless to say we are pleased with our small 28 acre piece of land. Who knows what  could happen during gun season!

post-2491-0-59807600-1447967225_thumb.jp

post-2491-0-18808900-1447967263_thumb.jp

post-2491-0-80575000-1447967294_thumb.jp

• Like 21