Facemask or face paint or nothing at all?

jrussell

I'm curious to what you guys choose to wear when bowhunting from a tree stand. Do you wear a face mask or face paint,  or just nothing at all except a hat? I was at the store today and I couldn't decide whether or not it was worth spending $30 for a face mask. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

I'll be honest as I think about it alot...I shot both my bow deer last year from a tree in a tee-shirt with no mask or paint and had multiple deer come thru....also missed a 6 pt with mask or anything...now I know the areas I hunt have little to 0 bow hunters other than myself and uncle so I know that helps but makes me wonder if there's other reasons why a deer would look up?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Saw last post and do have a full beard and always have/will

Edited by stoneam2006
  • Like 1

I like a tight fitting mask for archery hunting.  I wear contacts 90% of the time but even with my specs on the mask doesn't fog them up.

When gun hunting I often wear a mask but most of the time it is just to help knock the chill off my chubby cheeks. :)

If it is REAL cold, I have a bunch of different masks for different levels of "Damn is it COLD".

• Like 1

I have tried several different masks, but I always had problems with them fogging up my glasses in the cold. I switched over to face paint several years ago, and love it. No more problems, works well. Only downfall is that I sometimes forget I have it on, and will go into a store, or restaurant and get some weird looks lol. 

• Like 1

Nothin' for me, but I'm still kinda new to this treestand stuff.

Most times I get picked off from a stand is from being silhouetted once the leaves drop. 

I think if they ever got a good look at my beautiful mug, they would have no choice but to stop and stare, offering me the perfect shot. :rolleyes:

The last few years since I started hunting from treestand, I like to cut a few fresh maple branches while they are still green leafed (now) and tie them to the trunk around me and below my platform, and at waist height so I can stand and shoot over it.

Once the leaves die they stay attached to the cut branches and make for some great cover to hide behind when the rest of the tree is naked later in the season.

That's one of those loose ends I hope to tie up this weekend with my stands.

Well I have started this year by setting my archery stands in pine trees so I don't get busted when the leaves drop, however I wear a gander mtn hat/ mask combo, it dosent interfere with my kisser. Sometimes I paint if I'm out all day.

post-3446-0-63458500-1443058065_thumb.jp

Edited by Hock3y24

I'm curious to what you guys choose to wear when bowhunting from a tree stand. Do you wear a face mask or face paint,  or just nothing at all except a hat?

Well first of all I am thankful that I have never come across a bowhunter that was wearing "just nothing at all except a hat" ..... lol.

Serious answer to your question ....... Whiskers. I have had a beard and a moustache since 1972 that always did a good job of covering my face. Only one problem with that ..... as the years have gone on, it has turned pretty darn white. As far as I can tell, it doesn't seem to be a problem though. I think it may not be as important as it is made out to be unless you are wobbling your head around constantly. Movement is what catches their eye, and I keep everything nice and slow while on stand. Likely, they will catch the motion of my drawing arm long before they see anything stationary on my face.

It may be that camouflage is highly over-rated. From what I've seen during gun season, wearing solid flashy blaze orange, I have gotten away with all kinds of things without being picked off .... that is, until I make some fast movement. And it is the fast movement that has burned me even when I am wearing camo.

• Like 2

I wear a mask year round. Even when I bowhunt in September. Sometimes the way the sun hits your face could make it look a little odd to deer if you dont have a beard. Also it keeps my breath somewhat at bay instead of just blowing all over the woods it is under a mask. But most of all it keeps me warm in the winter especially my neck when a nice cold wind starts to blow

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

bought one of these a few years ago on end of season clerance

http://www.cabelas.com/product/home/miscellaneous-camo-clothing/scent-lok-early-season|/pc/105625080/c/105823980/sc/833141880/scentlok-reg-men-s-savanna-ultimate-lightweight-headcover/1978077.uts?destination=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D833141880

great for early season, the ears are mesh to keep your hearing good. I've always been a facemask guy. I do subscribe to some of the scent control stuff as well and your head is the biggest generator.

Winter is a must for wind protection in my opinion.

Edited by Belo