LIVE from the woods 2015 Edition! - Sixth Year Going Strong

burmjohn

Well, my 5H instincts were right on.  They are moving and I think it may be the rut.  This guy was moving like someone was on his ass.  There is nobody within a 100 acres hunting here today but me (all private posted land).  I even drove around afterwards looking to see if someone wasn't pushing.  No cars/trucks around.

post-1655-0-46632500-1447167314_thumb.jp

Got him right in the shoulder while he was moving.  I could tell he wasn't going to stop.  Maybe 50 feet from me with my .44 Ruger carbine.  Right square in the shoulder.  I guess I have him too much leed LOL.  Anyway, he stumbled for about 25-35 feet and dropped.  Heart was fine, but chest full of blood.  Happy day!

• Like 9

Nothing but squirrels in 3s. This is becoming extremely depressing. I haven't seen anything for a week doing all day sits

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

All I can say is I know how that feels, but my advice is to stop doing all day sits. I know deer are more likely during rut to be out during the day, but they are still primarily nocturnal (if any doubt on that, setup some trail cams, almost everything even at this time of year will be during the night, at least was on all my cams). In my case, my hunting time was taking away mainly from sleep if I did it very early, but on days I was out for many hours it also was taking away from family time, and the deer per hour rate drops through the floor during the day. I hated going hunting and seeing nothing, but I really hated coming back home mid or late afternoon on a Saturday and not having seen anything.

dAMNIT!!!!' Just made a quick move to get away from the duck hunters in a river bottom that these bucks like to cruise on the downwind side of the creek sniffing the bedding across it.... No sooner do I hang my pack n reach to pull the bow up here comes my shooter 8!!! I'm screwed with bow on the ground and he goes under me at 5 fricken yards without a care in the world ....
That sucks :( I almost went through the same thing on Sunday. Realized my stand wasn't quite where it should have been and was strongly considering moving it.
Got him right in the shoulder while he was moving.  I could tell he wasn't going to stop.  Maybe 50 feet from me with my .44 Ruger carbine.  Right square in the shoulder.  I guess I have him too much leed LOL.  Anyway, he stumbled for about 25-35 feet and dropped.  Heart was fine, but chest full of blood.  Happy day!
I now see in your zone the regular season is twice as long as it is for us in the south, dang!

Drinking monster before getting in was a bad idea. Already dumped two water bottles to pee and it's only 10am.

Pee out of your stand , no worries. Better when there's snow so you can write your name. I peed on a real scrape a few years ago. Days later it was scraped up pretty hard.

All misspellings courtesy of iPhone

dAMNIT!!!!' Just made a quick move to get away from the duck hunters in a river bottom that these bucks like to cruise on the downwind side of the creek sniffing the bedding across it.... No sooner do I hang my pack n reach to pull the bow up here comes my shooter 8!!! I'm screwed with bow on the ground and he goes under me at 5 fricken yards without a care in the world ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had that happen more than once and had the buck come right back on exactly the same line

Swamp 8pt down...9am...just got him to house...need to gut him ....THANK God Son was able to help get him out of the swamp...not biggest rack ...but definately the biggest bodied deer I have ever shot......better pics later..didn't gut in swamp due to mud up to our calfs...

Edited by growalot
  • Like 20

No 33 yrds with a thunderhead 100gr...switched from the G5 because I didn't like the lack of blood...Well I hit a bit back but came out his opposite arm pit cutting his lower leg...never found my arrow...sure buried in the muck and water...he barely went 20 yards...Right through the worst of the rose and swamp..no problem with that track he was gushing blood every where...so wasn't happy about the 700ft drag through that...then we got the winch from the Gator and pulled him the last 100 ft...Wow it was such a great!!!! hunt...but maybe I will think twice about that stand again...IT was hell getting him out of there and we both look like we went through a shredder..he is packed in mud.

Edited by growalot
  • Like 4

Way to go Grow! Your having a good bow season!

How many acres do you have and how many stand sets. I envy all the choices you have. I get sick of staring at the same trees! I have started to name them as I see them more than my family this time of year lol!

• Like 1

Thanks....around 40 now..but only one swamp stand...this explains the short blood trail...Thought the shot was too far back..guess not!

The Gator fires up great...saying knocking on wood...being superstious pays off...it certainly did today!

Edited by growalot
  • Like 5

Thanks....around 40 now..but only one swamp stand...this explains the short blood trail...Thought the shot was too far back..guess not!

The Gator fires up great...saying knocking on wood...being superstious pays off...it certainly did today!

Nice shootin grow!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Man, I can't wait to get back in the woods. I keep looking at this every half our looking for update.....Saturday seems so far away. This time of year the week days go so slow. I feel like I am looking at the weekend the way I used to look at Christmas when I was 8. Takes forever to get here....I envy all you guys that can get out during the week....(not that I want to be unemployed)

My 13 year old son would probably stop talking to me if I hit one in the heart!! It is absolutely his favorite part of the deer. Heart fried in butter. In fact it is on the menu tonight!!

Congratz again Grow that's a fine buck!!

• Like 1

Nothing moving for me this morning. Just finished hanging my condo ladder stand in a high traffic area. Got new trail cam up and am looking forward to some results. Last day of vacation tomorrow. A bit disappointed with lack of seeing much of anything this year.

My 13 year old son would probably stop talking to me if I hit one in the heart!! It is absolutely his favorite part of the deer. Heart fried in butter. In fact it is on the menu tonight!!

Congratz again Grow that's a fine buck!!

There fine to eat if hit with broadhead.

• Like 1