LIVE from the woods 2015 Edition! - Sixth Year Going Strong

burmjohn

Thanks all. He is out and waterlogged and I only needed my chest waders. Barely got em wet to the knees. Have to run to soccer bit will post story and a pic later in my journal. Best buck for me with any weapon.

Congrats. Well done, start to finish.

Edited by jmg343

Just had some does come in before last legal. They came right between me and my buddy stayed in the one strip of thick stuff. If they had taken 5 more steps I could have got one... They must have known something was up because they turned and went back from where they came. Great action both sits today can't wait to see what tomorrow brings

Just had some does come in before last legal. They came right between me and my buddy stayed in the one strip of thick stuff. If they had taken 5 more steps I could have got one... They must have known something was up because they turned and went back from where they came. Great action both sits today can't wait to see what tomorrow brings

Man I had exact opposite for my day worst 2 sits of year even with the great snow we had....nothing moving

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Edited by stoneam2006

at 3 I had what looked like a 6 or 7 pt come threw at 60 yrds nose to the ground then then later on as I was ready to leave I put my arrow in the quiver reach down for my pull rope and noticed 3 doe trotting down the same trail that the book was on earlier

I left the house and the wind was out of the NW.  Took a new route to my stand and guess what, wind changed to the NE....grrrrrrrr.  At 4pm I had a nice buck come in.  Walked right into my shooting lane at 15 yards.  Got a nice clean through shot with bubbles and blood.  Buck ran off into the swamp.  I will be out in the morning to track and pics to follow. 

Couple lone doe's early this morning , then a nuckle head that stalked his way into me , waved my orange hat at him , paused , then took 15 minutes to creep by me at 50 yds , smh....

Evening , one doe and a small buck about n hour before last light ... Again , caught movement and see another person ( small , no bow but in camo) come creeping by , diff property , again wave my little orange hat and whistle , they pause and proceed to walk around for 20 minutes within sight ... Wtf !!!

I courteous enough to get outa there , go the other direction , or scoot on by as quick and quietly as possible if I run into another hunter , these f'rs missed that day in class... Ugh not lookin good to fill my buck tag for bow...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couple lone doe's early this morning , then a nuckle head that stalked his way into me , waved my orange hat at him , paused , then took 15 minutes to creep by me at 50 yds , smh....

Evening , one doe and a small buck about n hour before last light ... Again , caught movement and see another person ( small , no bow but in camo) come creeping by , diff property , again wave my little orange hat and whistle , they pause and proceed to walk around for 20 minutes within sight ... Wtf !!!

I courteous enough to get outa there , go the other direction , or scoot on by as quick and quietly as possible if I run into another hunter , these f'rs missed that day in class... Ugh not lookin good to fill my buck tag for bow...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I generally stay real still and they walk right by. Every time I wave or let them know I'm in the area, they tend to stick around.

Same goes for when someone waves at me. Sometimes I don't know what they want, for me to come over to say hello, or for me to leave. I always head 90-180 degrees of the direction they are at in case they wanted to be left alone. One time we ran into two guys on top of a hill, waved at us so we turned 90 degrees into another hill. Not 10 minutes later, I see the same two guys on our hill stumbling around. Text my buddy that two hunters are approaching me in case crap hits the fan. Turns out they were lost, so I helped them out.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

• Like 1

Got out to a natural ground blind I have been saving for a high wind day in November. Wind was out of the N-NW gusting, 35 to 45 mph. This south facing slope has been productive for me through the years, under these conditions. The deer bed near the top and can smell behind them and see below them. Bucks tend to cruise the top of the ridge and bust doe groups.

Got in well before light. Then about 8, I see a small 4 point go up the hill about 50 yards away. I could also see another small buck cruising the ridge above me. Then just after 9 o'clock a group of does come right to me. A big doe stops at 15 yards and

looks in my direction, while others are going by only feet away from me! She turns broadside and I shoot her with the crossbow. She runs down hill 40 yards or so and I celebrate my first crossbow kill!

post-5587-0-85314500-1447546594_thumb.jp

• Like 11

I don't get it. I've hunted both these areas for many yrs now. Never seen a bow season this bad! In 9x I was getting 400 pics every 2 wks. 3 wks ago something happened. Only had 30 pics in 2 wks and even less the wk after. And 9a I at least normally see a deer once a wk end. I haven't seen much at all this yr. maybe 2 all season!

OK The story and pictures are in my journal. Click the link below

http://huntingny.com/forums/topic/29563-zen-moments-with-zem-2015/?p=422310

This is the shorter version as I typed the whole thing up and previewed it. I went to correct a misspelled word and lost the whole thing. Sorry for any typos in the new version and any details I left out.

Z

With bubbly blood, why wait until morning? Ain't ya got a flashlight? Around here the coyotes would feast on that thing in a matter of hours and in the morning you'd just find a crime scene.

Yeah why wait, ive been bit by the coyote bug and its not a good feeling when you find your deer the next moning completly tore to pieces.

OK The story and pictures are in my journal. Click the link below

http://huntingny.com/forums/topic/29563-zen-moments-with-zem-2015/?p=422310

This is the shorter version as I typed the whole thing up and previewed it. I went to correct a misspelled word and lost the whole thing. Sorry for any typos in the new version and any details I left out.

Z

That's a pretty cool story! U have to put him on the wall for the story alone! Nice job

Thanks - I am going to do a Euro mount or Western as some call it. I did my 8pt from gun last year and it was my first one so thought I'd try it with this one. He is a trophy to me but not a shoulder mount trophy. Maybe someday.

• Like 1