LIVE from the woods 2015 Edition! - Sixth Year Going Strong

burmjohn

Dark to dark and only saw and passed on this guy. ( 7 point ) He got in real close Daughter loved it. She peeked around the tree and he was staring at her , head bob, foot stomping etc. Even directly down wind of us he never really got wary. Eventually he meandered off. Flock of turkeys at dusk Back at it tomorrow

post-4567-0-32622400-1448149891_thumb.pn

• Like 2

More shots out in Iroquois than Darien for the afternoon , but something's a miss.... The crowds are WAY down ! My guess is now that genesee is rifle they went elsewhere as Darien and half of Iroquois is shotgun ... Not complaining but may not be enough traffic to keep em moving ... Three doe spotted today , almost dumped a doe first thing this morning but she decided not to exit the thicket ... Probly due to the guy behind me climbing in n out of his ladder stand all morning ... See what happens in this wind tomorrow ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hunted on state land and heard my first shot at 5:58am.  Couldn't believe it.  Saw one doe around 11am then went home for lunch.  Afternoon stand I kick up a deer but not sure if buck or doe.  Winds here in the hills are terrible.  Suppose to be out of the NE then E but nooooooooo has to be out of the N.   Grrrrrrrr.  Tomorrow we should have some rain, guess I'll be getting wet.  Good luck tomorrow.

Nice buck? Where at?

I will let shooter tell the story if he wants.  Whenever one of us scores, the other helps drag/process and then we split the meat.  I posted my comment basically to say that my hunting day for the most part was over at that point.

• Like 1

Not many shots today on the hill and we had to throw out multiple trespassers not to mention a member we kicked out has been making rounds around our property when we're not there and he admitted to it on front of his new hunt club that happens to border ours go figure huh real douche bag kinda guy ...couple small does then we seen 12 Deer come from a different property on to ours so hopefully they bed there tonight ..Out of all doe sightings no bucks with them.... weird

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

No morning hunt for me. Daughters had a taekwondo tournament. I went out afternoon and saw deer after after deer after deer. No shooters. I literally played mind games with a small doe. I'd let her get 50-60 yards away and then call her back in. I literally did this for almost an hour. Kept me busy for sure! Honestly was decent size but I know there's a big 8pt hanging out in the area and figured if I keep the doe around he might pop out. No dice though

I will let shooter tell the story if he wants. Whenever one of us scores, the other helps drag/process and then we split the meat. I posted my comment basically to say that my hunting day for the most part was over at that point.

Shawn smoked one?

• Like 1

Got in the woods late today. Had a long night chasing Striped bass, landed a 36" fatty and got home just after 2am.

bb13c3bee6c106edacdcafef97f6f74b.jpg

Set the alarm for 4am and 4:30am, just in case I sleep through the first one. Woke up and was delirious as to not knowing why my alarm didn't go off, got into a panic as I was worried I overslept and my hunting buddy may have been waiting on me. Turns out I woke up before the alarm went off, 3:58am.

I get up and slowly drag myself out of bed and start getting ready. We leave around 6am and make it to our spot around 7:40am. We've never hunted or scouted this area before, but it would be as good as any. Spoke to a local while gearing up and was tipped off to the surrounding land layout. We took his advice and walked the trail. Walking down the trail, we saw 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 hunters all set up right off the trail. We contemplated a few times to do the same, but the areas didn't look appealing to me, that's until we came across a bend in the trail and ran into some young pines, a flowing stream, next to hardwoods with some low cover 80-90 yards out. I said to my buddy, "this place looks good, but let's walk down some more and see what's down the other end." Not 20 yards into the walk, we spotted our first deer of the day. I tell my buddy, "deer, get ready!" We get into a crouched shooting position and wait for an opportunity. That opportunity never came. We saw the two deer turn away from us and disappeared into the woods. We stood there in disbelief, contemplating what our next move should be. We decided to pursue and stalk them to get a shot, chancing pushing them to other hunters or back the way they came.

After a steady, fast pace of about 80-90 yards, there was no sign of them, and I suspected they didn't get that far ahead of us. I signaled to my buddy to slow it down and get ready to get in a shooting position while I glasses the woods in a 180 degree sweep. That's when we spotted movement about 160-170 degrees behind us, 3 does. I wasn't sure at that point if these three were different from the two we saw minutes earlier, but it didn't matter at that point, "deer! Get ready!"

We both get into a crouch shooting position again, but this time the deer would continue their path into and out of some small saplings giving us small windows of shooting lane. My intention was to let my buddy take the first shot, as his rifle was proven accurate and mine left me with some doubt. I waited, and waited, and waited both the shot from my buddy never came. He was about 20-30 yards away from me, and communication was difficult with us both concentrating on the target ahead.

I locked into one of the does, and saw an opening 10 yards in front of its path. 9, 8, 7, .... 1, boom! Shots fired, doe down!

0629efc399caf3f0f77144a384f6242f.jpg

The rest is history.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Edited by shawnhu
  • Like 5