LIVE from the woods 2015 Edition! - Sixth Year Going Strong

burmjohn

Live from my couch, have some family responsibilities till Sunday. Should be back in the woods Sunday afternoon thru Wednesday. Rooting for all you guys," get her done"

We are on the same schedule ..... Sunday afternoon thru Wed .

Foggy mornin in 9H. only 3 or 4 shots heard all mornin. Gonna check out a new spot with my neighbor after coffee. 

That's where I am, my fog has lifted no shots heard at all

Foggy with a little drizzle here in 9h... Haven't seen squat so far. Only a few shots heard.

Is everyone hunting 9H today but me ?! I'm stuck at work   Ugh

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 1

Finally.. Wow. What a good morning. So I'm sitting in my ground blind and I see movement off to the right in some thick shit maybe 40 yards. After a second I see a deer materialize and see horns (more than one..). I shoulder my 30-06 and click safety and I look through the scope and I'm right on him. He stopped in his tracks for me and I took a breath and touched off a round. He bolted and I said some very naughty words. I saw him run maybe 10 yards and lost site of him. After sitting a bit I went to look for blood. I had the angle marked well but not the exact spot after a few mins of searching I was not happy. Luckily.. I found hair, but unluckily it was all white. I spent some time looking for blood but not a drop was found. I was on his trail as I could see disturbance in the leaves. No blood. by this time I see Orange the direction the deer ran and I'm confused and the deer should have run by this guy. No shots so I started to crack a bit of a smile. He might just be down here somewhere. Where I hunt is a steep gulley and I go to the edge and peek over and see the deer laying there!!!! It sees me and more not so good words, it gets up and tries to scale the other side of the gulley. It's not doing well but well enough so I touch off another round and it falls. Head still up I sit there and head falls.. Woo hoo.

Lessons.. I need more practice with my 30-06. I only found one hole so far. behind the vitals and low. Just barely a gut shot. That may have been second shot though as it was kind of moving and at a weird angle. Not sure yet. Literally barely gut. When I opened it up I think I hit the stomach. Corn was present though not much. It did not smell horrible. Just a trace of corn and small amount of green. Very small.

This is the largest buck I've gotten and first with 30-06. Don't beat me up real bad.. I have shot and can hit target pretty well. Buck fever gets me. Here he is...

Edit: the deer stopped I think due to making the hunter. I think that deer was seconds away from bolting.

post-4186-0-53282300-1448730682_thumb.jp

post-4186-0-48758200-1448730696_thumb.jp

Edited by Dan.NY
  • Like 15