LIVE from the woods 2015 Edition! - Sixth Year Going Strong

burmjohn

not happy with hornaday sst slugs right now. i shot a doe last night at 415 ish, 50 yards and i hit her in the shoulder. (same thing happened last year) she hits the deck. i get up once dark to give her time and i hear footsteps running up the hill. i leave and come back this morning. follow blood over 300 yards and obvious muscle only hit. now i know it was a bad shot but i believe any well built slug should go through a shoulder blade. i will now try hornaday interlock slugs.

Usually the complaint of the SST is a lack of expansion not a lack of penetration. I would be willing to bet the bullet went through the shoulder blade or you didn't hit her where you think you did.

• Like 2

not happy with hornaday sst slugs right now. i shot a doe last night at 415 ish, 50 yards and i hit her in the shoulder. (same thing happened last year) she hits the deck. i get up once dark to give her time and i hear footsteps running up the hill. i leave and come back this morning. follow blood over 300 yards and obvious muscle only hit. now i know it was a bad shot but i believe any well built slug should go through a shoulder blade. i will now try hornaday interlock slugs.

Its not the slugs fault... I too have shot the SST's and I'll assure you they perform very well. Even on shoulders... Don't blame the bullet.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Got this 8 point at 9:20 this morning that was running just inside the woods 70 yards away. . He had a bad limp and a dislocated shoulder so I decided to take it...the fact that it's a nice deer is just a bonus. I had no more then a few seconds to shoot and I was able to pull off a heart shot. adb9d40c0c69e78ca6c586974e4b4d8e.jpg

712cf23dec14501f538ce0032e72dd36.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by ATbuckhunter
  • Like 19

Got this 8 point at 9:20 this morning that was running just inside the woods 70 yards away. . He had a bad limp and a dislocated shoulder so I decided to take it...the fact that it's a nice deer is just a bonus. I had no more then a few seconds to shoot and I was able to pull off a heart shot. adb9d40c0c69e78ca6c586974e4b4d8e.jpg

712cf23dec14501f538ce0032e72dd36.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote

Nice buck! Congratulations!

• Like 2

Promised myself that I could buy a deer gun once I got one with my bow. Celebrated my first bow kill with a new Martian 336. Bought it last night and used it for my first deer from a treestand this afternoon. I have vertigo issues, so I don't often do well in tree stands. But I managed to stand and shoot one that crossed behind my stand without testing my safety harness. And I got a nice doe for the freezer. Such a thick fog here all day. By the time I got her dressed (didn't have quite everything I needed in my pack) it was dark. Nothing makes you feel more stupid than dragging a deer in a freekin' circle in woods you know like the back of your hand. Could only see a few feet in front of me. Drag was twice as long as it should've been. Not complaining though. It's nice to be seeing and shooting deer this year.

• Like 1

Eeeggaaaddddssss!!! It's cold out there!...Little wind but I'm having a tough time getting motivated...Yesterdays 2 hours of early morning  soaking doesn't help....though my coat kept me dry...the pants had me sitting in a puddle between the dripping tree and every thing streaming down the back of my jacket...I actually miss snow this year...

Edited by growalot

Finally out here for my first sit during gun season in 4G. Our group killed 2 doe opening weekend and yesterday a buddy of mine shot a bobcat in the afternoon. Regarding deer it's been quiet since the opener but we do have a 6 and 8 on cam, hopefully they come out today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk