What Do You Think Your Effective Range Is?

DirtTime

To each his own on how far he/she can shoot accurately, but even a bow slinging an arrow at 300fps (which most don't when set up for hunting) takes a full second for the arrow to travel 100yds or 3/4 of a second for the arrow to travel 75yds from release.  This doesn't account for the arrow slowing down in flight which means real life is longer. 

That is a lot of time for a deer to move between release and hit/miss.  I think that unpredicted movement is the biggest factor that weighs against long shots.  It doesn't matter how proficient/accurate you are with a bow, that risk remains.  I know its done out west regularly and maybe that is a risk they can/must take due to the style of hunting.

• Like 4

We have many farm hunters who shoot out past 60 yards, and they kill many deer.  If they can jump a 300fps bow at 30 yards then we should all only shoot out to 20 yards!  Not going to happen. 

If you really want to talk ethics watch some of the traditional shooters, most can barely hit a paper plate at 20 yards.  Do they have NO ETHICS?  They wound a pile of deer!  Maybe we should ban them! 

60+ yards is no more unethical than a 30 yard shot that you missed because the deer jumped the string.  And is better than most traditional shooters at 20 yards.

The ethics pony has left the building.  lol not really but some think so because they can't shoot that good so how could someone else?  Must just be unethical hunters I guess.  Arg.

To be clear NFA, I am not saying its unethical.  What I am pointing out is that there is a much greater risk in a bad outcome due to circumstances out of the hunter's control at long ranges.  Its up to the hunter to decide what level of risk they are comfortable with.  I am not criticizing, just pointing out what factors I weigh and it doesn't have anything to do with my accuracy limits.

BTW - I am starting this season with a barebow recurve, so I certainly understand being willing to take some additional risk. 

My realistic limits are 40yds with a compound and 25yds with a recurve.  That's where I have little doubt that I should kill the deer I shoot at.  Even circumstances outside of my control should have little effect (not none but minimal).  Even then, no one is perfect.  I do shoot to 60 with a compound regularly and accurately, but don't plan on shooting a deer at that distance.  That's just my preference.

• Like 1

Its just amazing that people now bash others who have taken the time to become proficient with their bows

Its not about bashing people who are great archers... Its about becoming proficient yet having the self restraint to limit yourself to high percentage shots. Period. I can tell you 1000 stories about how someone killed a deer at 60+ yards with a bow, I can tell you 10,000 of how someone missed or wounded deer at the same distance. We owe it to the quarry to dispatch them as quick and humane as possible. They are living creatures who feel pain, they have to live/die with that wound, we go about our lives with a story and move on unscathed...

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Its not about bashing people who are great archers... Its about becoming proficient yet having the self restraint to limit yourself to high percentage shots. Period. I can tell you 1000 stories about how someone killed a deer at 60+ yards with a bow, I can tell you 10,000 of how someone missed or wounded deer at the same distance. We owe it to the quarry to dispatch them as quick and humane as possible. They are living creatures who feel pain, they have to live/die with that wound, we go about our lives with a story and move on unscathed...

And there's thousands who have missed at 20 yards  Should we all be limited to less then 20 because of it?

• Like 2

And there's thousands who have missed at 20 yards Should we all be limited to less then 20 because of it?

I think you're missing my point. Everyone will screw up shots at game in their career regardless of skill and distance, it happens. As you said plenty do wound animals at 20 yards, so should we tell these people to go ahead and take those 50 yd shots because its the new "norm"? And yes if it were my decision I would say no shots over 40 regardless of how accurate you are. Shooting in your backyard while barbecuing is a lot different than being in a tree for 4 hours shooting in unorthodox positions. Less distance equals less risk. Period. That's a fact that can't be argued.

I shoot out to 50 during practice but in the woods my limit is 40. That is my comfort zone. Any day of the week I can walk out the back yard shoot the 40 target and hit the 3 inch bull.  I did shoot a doe years back at 44 yards it was before range finders were popular and I misjudged the range by 4 yards and smoked her. I really prefer a 15 to 25 yard shot. I hunt tree stands so closer is too steep. By the way my closest is 2 yards on the ground....that was exciting. The arrow barely cleared the bow!!

I have no complaint with longer range shooters that can do it with max skill and results. I just wonder how much penetration you start to lose at 100 yards...?

A poor bow hunter who does not practice is a poor slob no matter if he/she shoots at 10 yards or 90 in my opinion. Each has their own self imposed restrictions.

I didnt know they made judgement pants in camo...

I never said 40 was my effective range, my effective range is closer to 80, i said i usually will shoot to 40, and have killed 2 at that distance. would i push the envelope for a booner under perfect conditions? yes and so would 98% of the people on here, im just being honest about it.

Again whats messed up is sitting their judging everyone on the internet with no knowledge of what your talking about. 

Have a good season everybody im out

Regardless of the shot distance ,it is our duty as responsible sportsman to dispatch the animal in the most humane way possible. It doesn't matter how big of a deer it is ,if you can't make the shot ,then don't take it. Your friends will still like you even if don't get to brag at the next tailgate meeting.

I think you're missing my point. Everyone will screw up shots at game in their career regardless of skill and distance, it happens. As you said plenty do wound animals at 20 yards, so should we tell these people to go ahead and take those 50 yd shots because its the new "norm"? And yes if it were my decision I would say no shots over 40 regardless of how accurate you are. Shooting in your backyard while barbecuing is a lot different than being in a tree for 4 hours shooting in unorthodox positions. Less distance equals less risk. Period. That's a fact that can't be argued.

I'm not telling anyone to shoot longer then they can. But you wanting to limit shots to 40 is like me wanting to limit you to 20. Why? half the distance, at least 1/2 the risk Right. Hell I say we go to 10 yards cut the risk even further. Just because you won't shoot past 40 doesn't mean no one shouldn't. 

• Like 1

Boy would I have one heck of a game room if my effective range was 80 yards on a whitetail deer with a bow. That's like having a slug gun during the rut.

Practice more then and maybe you will. Anyone who's capable of shooting those ranges has shot more arrows than you in 2 months than you have in 4 years. It's all about practice. Would you expect to go out and win the Daytona 500 next weekend just because you know how to drive a car?

• Like 1

I'm not telling anyone to shoot longer then they can. But you wanting to limit shots to 40 is like me wanting to limit you to 20. Why? half the distance, at least 1/2 the risk Right. Hell I say we go to 10 yards cut the risk even further. Just because you won't shoot past 40 doesn't mean no one shouldn't.

Agree to disagree. Happy hunting.