What Do You Think Your Effective Range Is?

DirtTime

moog5050, on 28 Sept 2015 - 1:58 PM, said:

Just asking not being a jerk

what is the limit what is considered long range? 

The answer is in Moog's last sentence. "Its up to the hunter to decide what level of risk they are comfortable with.". Nobody can give you a set number of yards. There are so many variables and conditions including individual mindsets and how concerned the bowhunter is about wounding losses. What is more important than a finite number is simply the recognition that deer usually are not shot at in target range conditions and do not always cooperate as nicely as pinned down paper targets while you stand alongside of a measured out stake. And also an acknowledgment that what you can do on a target range is not necessarily going to be what you can do in the woods on a deer. Also one has to be aware that accuracy and unexpected difficulties increase geometrically as the shooting distance increases. That's just the nature of a bow and arrow.

• Like 1

Not surprisingly, I agree with Doc.  lol

Here is how I think about it, if I draw the bow and think "I hope I can make this shot" then I better not shoot.  If I think "dead deer", then I shoot.  Anything less than complete confidence (and that varies by person and situation) is a no shot in my book.

• Like 4

and I'm willing to bet that if they had to hunt in the wooded areas that we do out East, their opinions on long range shooting would change dramatically............I think a  lot of western hunts are spot and stalk, limiting yourself to 20 yards would be a huge handicap, but I've never hunted out there so could be totally wrong.

Not sure if you noticed, but there is a western-experienced archer on this thread, and he's talking about still taking longer range shots when the setting allows.

Haven't seen any westerner say they shorten their "effective" range because they come east. The same factors dictate the effective range there as it does here. If the shot allows for it, and can be made by that archer, then it is what it is.

• Like 1

Not sure if you noticed, but there is a western-experienced archer on this thread, and he's talking about still taking longer range shots when the setting allows.

Haven't seen any westerner say they shorten their "effective" range because they come east. The same factors dictate the effective range there as it does here. If the shot allows for it, and can be made by that archer, then it is what it is.

I was just thinking, that in the heavily wooded areas some of us hunt out here, at 20 yards pretty much what you see between yourself and the target is pretty much all that is there.......put a deer at 80 yards in the same area, and I would think that the arc your arrow would take between you and the target puts many more unseen obstacles in the way.....but, I'm just thinking out loud, I never shoot over 30.......oh, and I have no doubt that many can shoot effectively at long distances, my thoughts are merely what I stated above, and I believe that experienced archers understand what I said, but I bet there are far more who don't.

Edited by jjb4900
  • Like 1

I was just thinking, that in the heavily wooded areas some of us hunt out here, at 20 yards pretty much what you see between yourself and the target is pretty much all that is there.......put a deer at 80 yards in the same area, and I would think that the arc your arrow would take between you and the target puts many more unseen obstacles in the way.....but, I'm just thinking out loud, I never shoot over 30.......oh, and I have no doubt that many can shoot effectively at long distances, my thoughts are merely what I stated above, and I believe that experienced archers understand what I said, but I bet there are far more who don't.

Applying personal experience from one, single hunting setting as the measurement to generalize a statement for someone else's standards seems counter-intuitive. I bet some people understand that, and some who don't.

There are so many factors that go into a bowhunter's decision to shoot, that it's really not possible for anyone else to set an expectation for them prior, other than making the best decision possible. Nor is it something we should really concern ourselves with. We can all Monday-morning quarterback a shot/decision, however.

Edited by phade

Most of the traditional shooters hardly brake 200 and if they do they think it was a great day!  I have only seen 2 shooters who where able to come close to my score or beat it and I am only shooting around 270.  Most of the decent shooters are around 230-250 average.

PS:  Love shooting challenges, we have the iron turkey and the disk thrower, fun shooting.  If we ever meet up Joe I would love to take you up on the no sight compound vs traditional.  Sounds like fun!

• Like 1

Most of the traditional shooters hardly brake 200 and if they do they think it was a great day!  I have only seen 2 shooters who where able to come close to my score or beat it and I am only shooting around 270.  Most of the decent shooters are around 230-250 average.

PS:  Love shooting challenges, we have the iron turkey and the disk thrower, fun shooting.  If we ever meet up Joe I would love to take you up on the no sight compound vs traditional.  Sounds like fun!

Are you shooting a fixed crawl or string walking?  My scores jumped from 230s to 260s when I learned to string walk, but I know some purists hate the idea. 

Adkhunter, now do you understand what I was saying a few days ago? This is what comes of the effective range discussion.

If you are going to claim that you make 90 yard shots with a bow on a hunting forum, right or wrong, you are going to get some "blowback" from other hunters. Most people consider 40 yards far (as shown by responses). 90 is double that! Which is why when you initially stated it, so matter of factly, on that other thread, I responded with some sarcasm

On a 90 yard shot, how do you see the impact of the shot well enough to determine whether its double lung, lung liver, gut liver, gut, shoulder? Say the arrow stays in deer, how hard is it to see what kind of penetration you got? I ask these questions because you'll need to determine how long to wait until you start to track.

my point is that, at that kind of yardage, the variables that go into recovering a deer become more difficult. It's not strictly about "making the shot".

The only thing I've seen is exactly what I expected from the people who've never ventured off the east coast to hunt. I grew up here and live here now so I know the mentality all of you have coming into this discussion because I was the same way 7 years ago. And as you say, "most". Well I'm not most and neither are the people who are capable of making the long shots. I don't argue the fact that MOST people can only shoot 40. But those people also aren't me. They have slung the amount of arrows I have nor do most of them have the training or patience I do. I'm no more or less dedicated than anyone on here to making a clean kill. If there's any doubt in my mind I can't make a good shot I'm not going to take it. I'll take a gut shot whitetail in NY any day over a gut shot elk. Been there done that...repeatedly.

I can see the arrow just fine. But I also have over 6 grand worth of lazer eye surgery done to have 20/10 vision in both eyes. It's amazing what modern technology can do for your eye sight! I've tracked hundreds of animals from poor shots by people who had no business even shooting a bow. Tracking a animal is definitely not a problem for me. I spent years as a guide out west. Have you ever tracked a wounded bear through the thickest mountain sides at 11 thousand feet? Shooting, tracking and even just walking out west is 100 times harder than here. It's something to learn to adapt to and with years of practice become pretty damn good at. To me, making the shot is the hardest part. If I put more effort and time into making a good shot then I don't have to worry so much about how long the track is going to be

Haven't seen any westerner say they shorten their "effective" range because they come east. The same factors dictate the effective range there as it does here. If the shot allows for it, and can be made by that archer, then it is what it is.

Exactly. Thank you. It seems as though people only read and comprehend what they want. The setting at the time of shot dictates everything. If there's a pile of brush in the way and 40 mph winds and driving rain, obviously no one in their right mind would attempt a 85 yard shot. Not anyone with any sort of dedication to the sport of hunting at least.

As I'm back east I fully realize my chances of having long shots is severely diminished based on the terrain and landscape I'm hunting. I have 4 stands up now and only 1 of them would allow me a 90 yard shot if I so choose to take one. The rest I'll be lucky to reach as far as 50. And that's all you'll see me take from those stands. Put me back in Wyoming in the grasslands and you can watch me drop another antelope at 88 yards with no second thought about it.

And I also never told anyone that they "should" be shooting longer ranges. All I said was its absolutely possible and with enough practice and training anyone here could do it with the right equipment. I just continue commenting because it's ridiculous for anyone to tell people that it's not possible. Nay Sayers will always be such. But they can also enjoy the tag soup ;)

what these so called long range shooters dont say is how many deer get wounded and lost do to bad hits. understandably bad hits happen at close range too and anybody saying they have never had one is either new to the sport or full of B/S. but as with any Bow the longer is arrow is in flight the more possabiltys of things going array I have found my far share of deer dead and not recovered or wounded and shot during rifle season from my fellow bow hunters who say there bow is fast or they practice out in the 70 to 100 yard range on a foam target!!

• Like 1

The only thing I've seen is exactly what I expected from the people who've never ventured off the east coast to hunt. I grew up here and live here now so I know the mentality all of you have coming into this discussion because I was the same way 7 years ago. And as you say, "most". Well I'm not most and neither are the people who are capable of making the long shots. I don't argue the fact that MOST people can only shoot 40. But those people also aren't me. They have slung the amount of arrows I have nor do most of them have the training or patience I do. I'm no more or less dedicated than anyone on here to making a clean kill. If there's any doubt in my mind I can't make a good shot I'm not going to take it. I'll take a gut shot whitetail in NY any day over a gut shot elk. Been there done that...repeatedly.

I can see the arrow just fine. But I also have over 6 grand worth of lazer eye surgery done to have 20/10 vision in both eyes. It's amazing what modern technology can do for your eye sight! I've tracked hundreds of animals from poor shots by people who had no business even shooting a bow. Tracking a animal is definitely not a problem for me. I spent years as a guide out west. Have you ever tracked a wounded bear through the thickest mountain sides at 11 thousand feet? Shooting, tracking and even just walking out west is 100 times harder than here. It's something to learn to adapt to and with years of practice become pretty damn good at. To me, making the shot is the hardest part. If I put more effort and time into making a good shot then I don't have to worry so much about how long the track is going to be

I have seen "most" not be able to make an off hand gun shot at 75 yards too...lol. Yet still take the shot.

Honestly after 4 guided gun seasons I only met 4-5 guys out of 50 that could actually even shoot a gun well. I had a guy once tell me on the first night at camp that he would tip me real good if I put him on a big buck. Naturally I had a spot hidden away with a big buck that had been untouched except for one archery sit a few weeks earlier. Every good guide always leaves a honey hole tucked away for a big money client. Or for themselves when they get to hunt lol. But anyways, I put this guy in the blind and that buck came out like clock work on the first sit and he misses it 3 damn times at 80 yards with a slug gun with a scope. Pathetic. The guy even had the nerve to give me a extremely small tip at the end of his hunt and said "I would give you a hell of a lot more if you actually got me a deer". I wanted to beat his face in. Regardless of range some people just can't hit the broad side of a barn

Honestly after 4 guided gun seasons I only met 4-5 guys out of 50 that could actually even shoot a gun well. I had a guy once tell me on the first night at camp that he would tip me real good if I put him on a big buck. Naturally I had a spot hidden away with a big buck that had been untouched except for one archery sit a few weeks earlier. Every good guide always leaves a honey hole tucked away for a big money client. Or for themselves when they get to hunt lol. But anyways, I put this guy in the blind and that buck came out like clock work on the first sit and he misses it 3 damn times at 80 yards with a slug gun with a scope. Pathetic. The guy even had the nerve to give me a extremely small tip at the end of his hunt and said "I would give you a hell of a lot more if you actually got me a deer". I wanted to beat his face in. Regardless of range some people just can't hit the broad side of a barn

Where did u guide?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what these so called long range shooters dont say is how many deer get wounded and lost do to bad hits. understandably bad hits happen at close range too and anybody saying they have never had one is either new to the sport or full of B/S. but as with any Bow the longer is arrow is in flight the more possabiltys of things going array I have found my far share of deer dead and not recovered or wounded and shot during rifle season from my fellow bow hunters who say there bow is fast or they practice out in the 70 to 100 yard range on a foam target!!

Exactly... But the guys who take these shots aren't coming forward to say how many they've wounded or missed, only the recovered ones is what you'll hear about. I'm not impressed when someone says I killed a deer at 60 yds... Bowhunting is about how close you can get, not how far away you can hit. Period.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Exactly... But the guys who take these shots aren't coming forward to say how many they've wounded or missed, only the recovered ones is what you'll hear about. I'm not impressed when someone says I killed a deer at 60 yds... Bowhunting is about how close you can get, not how far away you can hit. Period.

Of all the comments made to this thread that has got to be the most ignorant and flat out dumbest thing I've ever heard.

So your here to tell all of us that a deer taken at 5 yards deserves respect but 60 yards doesn't? Regardless of range any clean kill deserves respect. Idc what your limited to range wise but I respect anyone who can kill a animal with a bow. What I don't respect is someone who basis their respect on how far a animal was taken. That's just total BS. last I checked I've never seen a rule stating what ranges qualifys as a respectable kill. This would be because it doesn't matter. A kill is a kill. Some can do it at only 25. Some can do it at 80. But to say someone doesn't deserve respect based on range is Pathetic.

• Like 1

And I will also add that of all 3 of my shots over 70 yards I've never missed. Believe or not I could care less. But my antelope in my avatar isn't doubting it.

I've missed at 20, 30, 38, 42, 55 and once at 60. Missing happens. Anyone who disagrees is full of it. I'm sure I'm forgetting plenty more misses. I've also wounded 3 deer in my life and never recovered. 2 does and 1 buck. It happens to all of us. Get down off the high horse you road in on.

Of all the comments made to this thread that has got to be the most ignorant and flat out dumbest thing I've ever heard.

So your here to tell all of us that a deer taken at 5 yards deserves respect but 60 yards doesn't? Regardless of range any clean kill deserves respect. Idc what your limited to range wise but I respect anyone who can kill a animal with a bow. What I don't respect is someone who basis their respect on how far a animal was taken. That's just total BS. last I checked I've never seen a rule stating what ranges qualifys as a respectable kill. This would be because it doesn't matter. A kill is a kill. Some can do it at only 25. Some can do it at 80. But to say someone doesn't deserve respect based on range is Pathetic.

I never said it didn't deserve respect... Read slower next time... I said your long range shots don't impress me... If it pumps your ego then go for it... Good luck this year.

Awesome, now we have people not only telling others how far their effective range is, we have people doing that AND telling them what bowhunting is to them.

• Like 4

IVe never hunted out west. But I can understand how the flat terrain and style of hunting may allow for further shots than the eastern part of the country...to a point. As stated multiple times a deer can move 2 steps in the time it takes for arrow to arrive 90 or 100 yards. To me, that means archery equipment isn't appropriate for that kind of range. Frankly I don't care how many people shoot at that range. To me it's a no no.

And honestly, if you can tell the difference between two lungs or lung liver or gut liver at 100 yards, whoever did your eyes is a miracle worker.

• Like 1