What Do You Think Your Effective Range Is?

DirtTime

That is a very good point on "string jump" that very few NY hunters are aware of. Some of them know enough math to calculate how far a deer can move in the time it takes the arrow to reach it, but have no clue of a deer's sound "danger-zone". Beyond about 40 yards, string jump is a complete non-issue.

If you're referring to my comments then you obviously aren't reading properly. Maybe its my fault for using a poor a example of a string jump in my own experiences but in my comment wasn't that a deer will jump the string at 100 yards, I was simply saying that you just hope that the deer doesn't decide to take a casual stroll at the same time you release the arrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These discussions always remind me of a co-worker from back in my "working days". The guy was absolutely the most deadly shot I have ever witnessed. He simply never missed a coffee-cup sized group at 60 yards ...... ever. He had all the latest equipment and all the gizmos and go-fasters and his shooting was phenomenal, to say the least. And yet in one season, he came into work with tales of woe about 5 different animals that he shot at, wounded and failed to recover. We never did figure out what the problem was other than his shots were consistently way longer than what others would ever think of taking. 

Now, I have no idea what was really going on, but his archery range scores and results were definitely not lacking, and yet his hunting results were horrible to the point of being disgusting. This kind of thing went on for the few years that I knew him, and he did eventually manage to get a couple of deer. But every year there were also these wounding losses that were very hard to explain. Was there something about the shots he was taking? Poor blood-trailing skills? Was it a case of buck fever when he got live deer in front of him? I have no idea, but I just know that his archery range results were not translating to hunting results.

I don't know, make of it what you will. My take on it was that he was trying to use a short range weapon for long range hunting. I'll never know for sure what the problem was, but this one guy accounted for a whole lot of wounding losses all by himself. As far as I know he is probably still wounding deer, perhaps he has even surpassed his record of 5 lost deer in one season ..... lol. I do know that he didn't want to hear anything about limiting his shot distances because he was absolutely convinced that what he could do on the archery range on targets, he could do in the woods on deer.

So anyway, this guy instilled a definite bias in me that is hard to shake whenever this discussion comes up.

LOL! I still did not say it was wrong. I just stated a few factors that fall into play with a bow at those long ranges ( far, far more so then the average under 30 yard shots ). It seems those factors don't seem relevant. Hey, that's fine by me. W/E people are comfy with.

Have at it people.

My point was, not everyone shoots the same set up as in that article. Some people might be shooting 60 or 50#'s and a lighter over all arrow ( in general ). You aren't going to get the same results with the lighter set up. Guess I am wrong for thinking not everyone shoots the same bow, the same broadhead, the same arrow, and the same draw weight.

I do apologize for trying to look at all the aspects for bow hunters shooting over 40 yards.

You didnt? What about this?

OK. I read the article. It seems to prove the point of what I and many others have said. Taking a shot with a bow at that yardage is not worth the risk. They were also shooting a foam target that didn't move, has no bones to deflect the arrow on impact and most likely very light if any wind. So, that really only proved what that bow can do, with that arrow and that draw weight. It's really not statistics, stats in my book are using different bows and draw weights, different arrow weights etc to get an average. But, maybe I am nit picking. But we have too as bow hunters. Every shot has to be as precise as possible for a clean kill.

Now, if you had said that it wasnt worth the risk to you, then I wouldnt have pointed it out. Saying it isnt worth the risk is the same as saying its wrong.

Of course not everyone shoots the same setup as in the article. Feeling comfortable taking the shot and regularly practicing it would mean that the person is more than likely shooting a setup capable of making it.

• Like 1

i practice with pins out to 60, id go farther if i can find more pins....

I had a coyote @ 54 yards last night... calm, walking around looking for dinner in the golden rod..  which was pretty cool watching her pounce a few times,  let one fly after a bit as she was quartering away and drilled her perfectly!

watched those tracers sift right through her

• Like 1

i practice with pins out to 60, id go farther if i can find more pins....

I had a coyote @ 54 yards last night... calm, walking around looking for dinner in the golden rod.. which was pretty cool watching her pounce a few times, let one fly after a bit as she was quartering away and drilled her perfectly!

watched those tracers sift right through her

Nice! A deer would have been even easier in that same situation with much bigger vitals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk