What Do You Think Your Effective Range Is?

DirtTime

The picture posted above is only a tanker train.  Any train wreck pictures posted here depicting the threads on this forum need to be of a passenger train with human bodies and parts scattered all around.  Things around here usually end up a bloody mess after all! LOL

You didnt? What about this?

Now, if you had said that it wasnt worth the risk to you, then I wouldnt have pointed it out. Saying it isnt worth the risk is the same as saying its wrong.

Of course not everyone shoots the same setup as in the article. Feeling comfortable taking the shot and regularly practicing it would mean that the person is more than likely shooting a setup capable of making it.

:rolleyes:

Allow me to correct my phrasing:

Not worth the risk to me

Now, please feel free to continue about trains, planes, and roller skates.

:senile:

i practice with pins out to 60, id go farther if i can find more pins....

I had a coyote @ 54 yards last night... calm, walking around looking for dinner in the golden rod..  which was pretty cool watching her pounce a few times,  let one fly after a bit as she was quartering away and drilled her perfectly!

watched those tracers sift right through her

But, but, tthatts impossible... But, rob said. I'm confused... What poundage do you shoot? How heavy is the arrow? What's your Mom's maiden name? Is the Pope Catholic? Nine out of ten dentist's say that 30 yards is max.

• Like 4

I'm new to archery but can already group consistently on a pie plate at 50 yards, with very tight groups at 30. However, given that the only shot I've taken on a deer I cleanly missed at 24 yards, I would say my effective range is <= 23 yards.  :snooks:

If your effective range is 20yds awesome, if yours is 80 good for you! I am glad that many of you have the self control to only shoot out to "X" distance wether it is your personal limit your equipments limit or what ever else that's awesome and that tells me that you have put in the time necessary to being successful. I would much rather a hunter who shoots thousands of arrows a year shoot a deer at 60yds when conditions allow as to the dirtbags that shoot 30 arrows or less in a year shooting a deer at 15yds. Proficiency is the key here fellas! Practice is what counts and not all practice is good practice. Standing in your back yard in a t shirt shooting a 3d target over and over does little to no good. You have to "train how you fight" everyday when I go for my run I hang my bow on my porch and as soon as I get back I shoot 5or6 arrows in "sniper school we called these stress drills" try this sometime it's a lot of fun timing a shot in between panting. I shoot more arrows in the month of February than any other hunter I know does in a year. I have and will shoot deer at distances doubling some of your max ranges. I still would prefer every shot I take to be 15 yds but I am not willing to wait for that shot opportunity. And for all the guys worried about set ups my bow shoots 314fps with a 527gn total arrow, I don't lack kinetic energy. I can honestly say that my effective range with my compound is double that of my weapon of choice for all my stand hunting during gun season "a Glock 20."

• Like 1

If your effective range is 20yds awesome, if yours is 80 good for you! I am glad that many of you have the self control to only shoot out to "X" distance wether it is your personal limit your equipments limit or what ever else that's awesome and that tells me that you have put in the time necessary to being successful. I would much rather a hunter who shoots thousands of arrows a year shoot a deer at 60yds when conditions allow as to the dirtbags that shoot 30 arrows or less in a year shooting a deer at 15yds. Proficiency is the key here fellas! Practice is what counts and not all practice is good practice. Standing in your back yard in a t shirt shooting a 3d target over and over does little to no good. You have to "train how you fight" everyday when I go for my run I hang my bow on my porch and as soon as I get back I shoot 5or6 arrows in "sniper school we called these stress drills" try this sometime it's a lot of fun timing a shot in between panting. I shoot more arrows in the month of February than any other hunter I know does in a year. I have and will shoot deer at distances doubling some of your max ranges. I still would prefer every shot I take to be 15 yds but I am not willing to wait for that shot opportunity. And for all the guys worried about set ups my bow shoots 314fps with a 527gn total arrow, I don't lack kinetic energy. I can honestly say that my effective range with my compound is double that of my weapon of choice for all my stand hunting during gun season "a Glock 20."

I think there is some truth to this. I have seen a lot of guys at the range recently with nice bows who are absolutely terrible archers!

Funny, didn't know what this was called but I often shoot while or after weight training.  I figured if you can hit the bullseye when tired and breathing heavy, you should be OK even if a deer pushes that heart rate a bit.

I'm sure this is old hat to many of you but I just came upon this guy on youtube: 

seems fairly legit. He says he'll go for an animal at half his practice range. He regularly practices at up to 160 yards, which means he'll confidently shoot at an animal to 80. He calls hitting the target a money shot and says he always will get a money shot within 80 yards. But he's out there every day. In some of his other vids his shooting technique is interesting; he seems to hold the riser fairly tightly, and he doesn't hold position after the shot; he's dropping the bow the split second he releases to see what went on with the arrow. But whatever he's doing it works for him.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people complaining that others shouldn't shoot as far as they say they will don't appreciate the huge variance in archery skill. I see a lot of guys at the range with nice equipment who can't do much better than a pie plate at 20 yards--certainly no more than 30 yards--on their first volley of the day. IMO that first volley represents your effective range.

• Like 1

that's Cameron Hanes.  he's an except to the rule.  he practices everyday out to 160 or so yards.  he shoots over 80 lbs of draw weight with very heavy arrows.  he still usually takes animals much closer.  he's not sponsored by Hoyt, SpotHogg, and Underarmour's "poster boy" just for the heck of it.  crazy in shape for a relatively older guy.

• Like 2

that's Cameron Hanes.  he's an except to the rule.  he practices everyday out to 160 or so yards.  he shoots over 80 lbs of draw weight with very heavy arrows.  he still usually takes animals much closer.  he's not sponsored by Hoyt, SpotHogg, and Underarmour's "poster boy" just for the heck of it.  crazy in shape for a relatively older guy.

He freaking pulls 80lbs. like i pull 62 I can barely move that spyder at 70lbs. (buddy has one) I about rip my shoulder from the socket! haha he is a great shooter tho.