What Do You Think Your Effective Range Is?

DirtTime

Exactly... But the guys who take these shots aren't coming forward to say how many they've wounded or missed, only the recovered ones is what you'll hear about. I'm not impressed when someone says I killed a deer at 60 yds... Bowhunting is about how close you can get, not how far away you can hit. Period.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Bow hunting is about hunting an animal with a bow with hopes of harvesting that animal...period. The rest is just your way of doing it.. which does not have to be the way everyone does it. Last I knew a deer killed at 60 yards is just as dead as one killed at 6 yards.

Edited by nyantler
  • Like 4

I am just wondering what a sight pin looks like on a deer 100 yards away? I will have to pull back without arrow on one this year and see how much of the deer my pin covers! I am betting about half the deer lol.

Oh and if I shot a monster at 80 yards and one at 15 yards well of course the 15 would be more impressive to me of getting closer to a mature buck = more skill to me.

• Like 3

IVe never hunted out west. But I can understand how the flat terrain and style of hunting may allow for further shots than the eastern part of the country...to a point. As stated multiple times a deer can move 2 steps in the time it takes for arrow to arrive 90 or 100 yards. To me, that means archery equipment isn't appropriate for that kind of range. Frankly I don't care how many people shoot at that range. To me it's a no no.

And honestly, if you can tell the difference between two lungs or lung liver or gut liver at 100 yards, whoever did your eyes is a miracle worker.

Which is exactly why you don't shoot at a walking animal. I still won't take the shot at 35 yards if it's walking. Patience is required at all ranges. That just doesn't go out the window when shooting farther.

Plenty of people shooting animals at 800 yards with a rifle. How many steps can they take between the time of shot and hit at that range? I'm sure it's quite a bit. So based on your theory, a rifle also isn't appropriate equipment for that?

And yes the man who did my eyes is a miracle worker. He was also the man who brought lasik eye surgery to this country from Columbia where it was first tried (because of strict laws here in the U.S.). He also has the most operations under his belt of anyone in the country. Same guy did tiger woods's eyes. Most all laser eye surgery machines being used today were created by him and his partner who he brought back from Columbia. While in surgery he told me all about how they were practicing on one of their first patients while a bomb blew up the building next door, courtesy of Pablo Esobar. I did tons of research before letting anyone mess with my eyes. Paid a ton of money to have the true expert do it. Now they have laser eye surgery places popping up all over and I hear ads on the radio about free surgery or extremely cheap prices. Makes you wonder who is doing these operations and who would trust someone with their vision to skimp out on paying top dollar for the real deal

• Like 1

Honestly after 4 guided gun seasons I only met 4-5 guys out of 50 that could actually even shoot a gun well. I had a guy once tell me on the first night at camp that he would tip me real good if I put him on a big buck. Naturally I had a spot hidden away with a big buck that had been untouched except for one archery sit a few weeks earlier. Every good guide always leaves a honey hole tucked away for a big money client. Or for themselves when they get to hunt lol. But anyways, I put this guy in the blind and that buck came out like clock work on the first sit and he misses it 3 damn times at 80 yards with a slug gun with a scope. Pathetic. The guy even had the nerve to give me a extremely small tip at the end of his hunt and said "I would give you a hell of a lot more if you actually got me a deer". I wanted to beat his face in. Regardless of range some people just can't hit the broad side of a barn

"Guided gun seasons". This is in the bow hunting boards. Sorry you had someone be that rude. Might come with the territory being a 'guide'. 

Kansas. MT. CO. IL. And a bit in WY. Took some buddies out in UT but that wasn't really "paid"

Names of the places for references? Hey ya never know, I might hit the lottery and plan a hunt. 

If you can kill a deer every time at those long ranges, great for you. How about some vids on You Tube of you personally doing that. Not vids of other people making the claim to fame. YOU making a kill with a bow at 40+ yards? 80 or 100 would would be better.

What does west vs. east have to do with it? 

Still got contacts? Let's go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KS, CO and MT anytime. IL sucked I'd never waste my time going there again. Depends on what your looking to go for. Whitetail without a doubt Kansas. I've still got good connects in CO to go guided for elk but I would just go public land and guide myself. Kinda silly to pay someone to do what I can do lol. MT would be the same for elk as CO. But I can get a good deal on lion hunts in MT. I don't have the dogs for that so obviously would go guided on that one

"Guided gun seasons". This is in the bow hunting boards. Sorry you had someone be that rude. Might come with the territory being a 'guide'.

Names of the places for references? Hey ya never know, I might hit the lottery and plan a hunt.

If you can kill a deer every time at those long ranges, great for you. How about some vids on You Tube of you personally doing that. Not vids of other people making the claim to fame. YOU making a kill with a bow at 40+ yards? 80 or 100 would would be better.

What does west vs. east have to do with it?

I only referenced gun seasons because the guy above was talking about people not being able to hit off hand at 75 yards with a gun. I've seen more bad shooting with guns than bows overall. But I've seen my fair share of bad archers. Honestly other than the outfit I worked for in KS I don't think I'd send anyone to the other states. Especially Illinois. Harpooles heartland lodge in like county. What a waste of time that place is! Pike county used to be great 10-15 years ago. Way over hunted now. MT elk hunts your gonna wanna hit up Royal Tine. They are the ones who ran the guide school I attended. Great people and they also have great lion hunts. If your physically capable I suggest DIY public land hunts. Much more rewarding and cheaper any state you go.

I'd give you links to video if I had actually taken any. I'm no movie star so filming isn't exactly the first thing on my mind when I plan on hunting. If you wanna see me in video YouTube 'The Rule TV' Kansas part 3 I believe. It's a hunting show on the sportsmans channel that filmed a show with us in Kansas. Won't see me hunting but I'm standing in front of a van talking about a spot he's about to hunt lol. They shot a 160 incher with us. thats about as much video as I have of me lol. I have been wanting to get a bow mounted go pro though. Would like to film my hunts for sure. Just haven't gotten around to it yet. Someday though. And when I do I will purposely look for a doe to take at 80 plus just for you ;)

• Like 1

I rarely kill a deer at more than 50 yards with gun and never more than 20 with bow... that is by choice... I just like it up close and personal, but I regularly shoot my peep sighted Hawken Muzzleloader with patch and ball offhand at 25, 50, 75, 100 and am very proficient at all those ranges. I would have no trouble taking a 100 yard shot at a deer with that gun and being confident of hitting my target. I choose not to only because I like the challenge of getting much closer... but I still would consider my effective range to be at 100 yards with that gun. What we choose to do and what is possible and still effective can be two different things. Some of you think that your "choice" is the only option for everyone else. Not even sure why you care... don't fret what you can't control.

• Like 2

I rarely kill a deer at more than 50 yards with gun and never more than 20 with bow... that is by choice... I just like it up close and personal, but I regularly shoot my peep sighted Hawken Muzzleloader with patch and ball offhand at 25, 50, 75, 100 and am very proficient at all those ranges. I would have no trouble taking a 100 yard shot at a deer with that gun and being confident of hitting my target. I choose not to only because I like the challenge of getting much closer... but I still would consider my effective range to be at 100 yards with that gun. What we choose to do and what is possible and still effective can be two different things. Some of you think that your "choice" is the only option for everyone else. Not even sure why you care... don't fret what you can't control.

I actually don't care. If you can kill deer size or + game at 80yds+ that's great. Still haven't heard anyone say what the set up is. Pounds pulling, arrow weight, shaft weight, broadhead weight, spine, but, I get that, why tell secrets. But if you can drop a wt deer at 100 yds with a bow I would just like to see it. I am sure others would like to see it too.

Seeing most people replying to this thread have said, again, 30 yards is max, it seems more like people telling bow hunters who take the safe, clean kill, and making sure they kill what they shoot at are wrong.

How much kinetic energy will an arrow keep at 100 yds?

Hey, I am all ears, show me some stats.

• Like 1

Rob - most people are saying 30yds because this is NY and most are hunting wooded areas for whitetails. This same question would be without a doubt answered with numbers much higher than 30 for antelope, mule deer, elk, and even whitetails in other parts of the country. Coues deer for example are much smaller whitetails, smaller vitals, etc. and odds are pretty good you will never get inside 30yds. Most shots are probably in that 45-65yd range if I had to guess. I've hunted out west several times, it's always windy out there too. So with no wind they would probably be shooting even farther. These are facts my friend and if you don't believe me, sign up for bowsite and pose the question. You will hear about 80-100+ yard kills. It's not uncommon, no matter how much you think it is. They practice at 60yds everyday the way people around here practice at 20yds. Further, ive had 2 guides (Arizona and Minnesota) who both had 100lb compounds. The guy in Arizona had his custom made by PSE out there. I don't know compound ballistics but I'll guess that 100lb now is shooting just as good at 50yds as a 40lb compound bow at 25yds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All my bows are set to 70 pounds. 100 grain broad heads always. Arrows vary all the time. The arrows I have today won't be the arrows I'm shooting in 2 months. I don't pay attention to weight of arrow. I trust my bow shop to suggest the best ones they offer for what I'm doing. And they know exactly how far I shoot. I think people pay attention to specs of their stuff more than they pay attention to shooting them correctly. All my sights are single pins. .010. Last bow had a spot Hogg. This time I got a HHA. Will probably end up going back to spot Hogg over the winter though. We will see about that later on.

• Like 1

All my bows are set to 70 pounds. 100 grain broad heads always. Arrows vary all the time. The arrows I have today won't be the arrows I'm shooting in 2 months. I don't pay attention to weight of arrow. I trust my bow shop to suggest the best ones they offer for what I'm doing. And they know exactly how far I shoot. I think people pay attention to specs of their stuff more than they pay attention to shooting them correctly. All my sights are single pins. .010. Last bow had a spot Hogg. This time I got a HHA. Will probably end up going back to spot Hogg over the winter though. We will see about that later on.

Really? 

I don't pay attention to weight of arrow. I trust my bow shop to suggest the best ones they offer for what I'm doing. And they know exactly how far I shoot. I think people pay attention to specs of their stuff more than they pay attention to shooting them correctly

Really?

Well, you got me. I guess we don't have to match total arrow weight to the weight we are pulling. Tell that to the new bow hunters who think you can effectively shoot an arrow designed for 30 lbs with a 70 lb bow. let me know how that works out.

2015 Obsession Evolution @ 29" and 70lb. Shooting Gold Tip pro Hunter arrows 9.3 gpi totaling 270 grains, 100 grain Rage 2 blade BH, 12 grain insert, 31 grain Lumenoks, 3x6 grain vanes, for a total of 431 grains. Trophy ridge react pro sight with .019 pins for 20 & 30 and .010 for the rest. TruFire release, clear shot archery peep, QAD HDX Ultra rest, WK custom bowstrings, limb saver stabilizer, tree limb quiver, and I shoot with both eyes open. That's my basic set up for hunting. Hope this helps!

Chiefbkt

Really?

Really?

Well, you got me. I guess we don't have to match total arrow weight to the weight we are pulling. Tell that to the new bow hunters who think you can effectively shoot an arrow designed for 30 lbs with a 70 lb bow. let me know how that works out.

Ya really. Did you not read that I said I let my bow shop take care of matching what arrow I need to my length and weight. I could care less what the arrow says on the side of it. I pay top dollar at a bow shop for a reason. All I care is that the damn thing shoots straight at everything I aim at.

And last I checked I never claimed to be setting up new archers bows for them. That's not my job. That's a bow shops job. But your going to tell me they don't know what they are doing either right?

Edited by Adkhunter1590

I actually don't care. If you can kill deer size or + game at 80yds+ that's great. Still haven't heard anyone say what the set up is. Pounds pulling, arrow weight, shaft weight, broadhead weight, spine, but, I get that, why tell secrets. But if you can drop a wt deer at 100 yds with a bow I would just like to see it. I am sure others would like to see it too.

Seeing most people replying to this thread have said, again, 30 yards is max, it seems more like people telling bow hunters who take the safe, clean kill, and making sure they kill what they shoot at are wrong.

How much kinetic energy will an arrow keep at 100 yds?

Hey, I am all ears, show me some stats.

has to be a great feat to have never missed a deer.

• Like 1

effective range is a relative term... i have seen guys in the bow shop group arrows out to 5 inches and say they are sighted in. if my fletchings are not touching at 20 yards something is wrong IMO.  

I shoot my bow to 100 yrds and keep 2-3 groups is it effective? up to who you ask...i would be willing to bet there are bow hunters that cant do that at 20 so how is his or hers 2-3" groups effective at 20 and mine are not at 100? 

My old 80 lb hoyt would blow through targets at 80 yards...my longbow wouldnt do that to the same target at 15 I dont see ppl bashing traditional hunters taking 15 yrd shots>?

I understand the arrows passes more twigs and trees at 100 as apposed to 20 yds but if someone takes a shot at a deer in a field does it matter?

Personally i think it is a jealousy thing... i read all the post here about people setting up their bows and asking why this why that? why not bring it to a great pro shop pay a few bucks and do your due diligence as a hunter to make sure things are correct? if you cant afford to have your bow set up correctly you can not afford to hunt sorry!