Single pin vs mulit pin for tree stand hunting

Hookhunter20

Hey guys,

I have recently picked up a new obsession and as with any new bow purchase, why not spend even more money and get all new toys lol. I have been tossing the idea around of trying out a single pin slider sight to cut down on the clutter. I am pretty set on the Black Gold Ascent Ambush as I have had their multi pins and they are as dependable as you can get IMO (still have one on my carbon spyder). Typically my set ups present me with a 10-30 yard shot although i do have one spot on a field edge I could shoot out to 80 if i really wanted to. My concern with the single pin is having time to range, move and draw on an animal without them closing or increasing the distance. I also like to self film hunts from time to time and am a little worried that a movable pin would just be a headache to use with a camera. Any input and experiences are appreciated.

I switched about 6 years ago to a single pin and won't go back. Had the same concerns about changing yardage while getting ready to take a shot at a animal. But you kinda adapt to it and before you know it, it becomes second nature and really doesn't bother me anymore. I usually don't ever hunt with a range finder when I'm in a tree so I'm going off visually judging yardage. If I'm hunting a stand I sit a lot I will tie a couple small yardage tapes around me at various ranges to help out. This cuts down on wasting time with a range finder. If your shots are mostly 30 yards or less like you said you can go ahead and just set your bow to 20 yards and not move it at all. I'm sure your bow is just like most new bows and don't change much from 20-30 yards. I'm like a inch low at 30 with my sight set on 20. Not a big enough change for me to even bother moving the sight. Wherever your stands are just see what your most common ranges are that you have a shot at and set your pin in the middle. Like my one stand I have a lot of good shots at 30-45 that will be my mostly likely areas to shoot going by the deer trails in the area. I will set my pin for 35 and aim just a hair high or low depending on where they are between 30-45.

Once you get used to moving the sight around you will get much faster at doing it also. The better sight vision you get from a single pin is worth it alone in my opinion. Not to mention the better grouping you'll prolly get. I haven't met anyone yet that groups better with a multi pin vs a single pin.

I haven't tried the brand sight you are talking about but I've had a spot Hogg single that was great but a little on the heavy side and real pricey. And now I have a HHA optimizer lite which is small in size and light weight which goes along great with my carbon knight. HHA makes some great sights and super easy to sight in. It's definitely a brand you should also take a look at. When I mentioned single pin to my local bow shop owner, He didn't even let me finish my sentence before blurting out HHA and handed me one off the shelf behind him.

I think you'll be very impressed with the difference in a single! Good luck let us know what you end up with!

My opinion, for what it is worth, is that you are trading a bit of what you are calling "clutter" for an additional step in your shooting set-up. That's probably not something you want to be faced with when the deer is closing in on you. I think I would prefer to take that extra motion and time and activity out of my sighting process. I already have too long of a checklist of shooting procedures and things to think about. I would rather not have to set up my sight as well prior to executing the shot.

The good news is that there is no between the pins guess-work. You set it for one distance and then where the pin is where the arrow is supposed to go.

Different things are important to different people, and so it really becomes a personal choice based on preferences.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Francesco B
      Hello everyone I’m currently looking at a house in deposit ny I’ve been deer hunting for many year mainly in Columbia and Greene county never been to Broome county. Before anything I was just curious how is the hunting there ? I know there aren’t any antlered restrictions in Broome but are there monsters out there or is it mainly just small spike? If anyone from that county or knows about deposit and broome county would get back to me i would appreciate it. Hope everyone hunting today catch a big one thanks.
    • By Ainsley Ash
      The procedure below to carry the bow is detailed below:
      You have to use a cotton towel or something similar. You have to wrap it around the bowstring. Doing so ensures that it will not cause an injury with the bowstring coming in contact with your body. It will not be that sharp either. Once you cover the bowstring with the towel, you have to wear it like a sling. So that it will not fall away from your body. The best way to cover the bowstring is to use a large enough towel. You can wrap it around twice as well. When making a sling out of the cotton towel, you have to ensure that you tighten it to get a snug fit. In that case, it will not slip away. Consequently, it will remain in place. When using this technique to carry a bow on your back, it is essential to practice before going in the wilderness. Only when you can move briskly and without noise using the scanning mechanism should you go ahead with it. To remove the bow, you have to hold it at the bottom. After that, you have to slip it over your head as well as arm. Doing so ensures that you can remove it quickly. When trying to focus on a prey, you need to remove the bow quickly. The technique for removal that we have highlighted above can certainly help you do so.
    • By JDN2K
      Just want to relay an experience I had this weekend regarding hunting regulations and other hunters.
      I've had several  hunter's tell me last weekend(10/12/2020) that muzzleloader was open, it is not. I also had two other hunters last weekend confront me as to why my son was carrying around a rifle and hunting deer. I calmly explained the youth weekend and the rules around it. After that everything was cool and we continued our hunt.
      I know at the end of the day we're all trying to participate in a sport we love and maybe harvest some game. My thought is to just make sure you're up on your local hunting regulations. Not just so you are within the rules, but also so you can assert your right to be where you are, hunting the way you're hunting.
      I know when I have been operating outside of the regulations I have appreciated a person respectfully correcting my ignorance and I try to pay it forward by being informed and respectfully educating when required.
      Thanks for listening, off my SB...
    • By Alfredo
      Hello,
      I am in the process of purchasing my first rifle to go hunting deer for the first time.  However, I have received contradicting information regarding the types of rifles that are legal.  Based on what I have read, it appears that I am able to use a bolt-action rifle with a pistol grip and a detachable magazine which holds 10 rounds.  However, I have been told that this is not the case. I can't seem to find where this is stated.  Can any one here provide me with some insight into this? I'd really appreciate it.
      Thanks in Advanced,
      Alfredo
    • By RJ_Outdoor_Experience
      Newest Hunting Podcast called The Young American Hunter has now published its first episode. Lead by Ryan & Jake- the moderators of @rj_outdoor_exeprience on Instagram. Both Ryan and Jake are avid outdoorsmen and have been around hunting their entire lives. Learning from the young and the old, Ryan and Jake bring their experiences straight to you. On the first episode of The Young American Hunter podcast, Jake provides a brief introduction and explains the purpose of the show. Ryan will be joining in on future episodes. To listen to the episode, copy and paste the link below into your web browser. Here is the bio for Jake's introduction:

"Thank you for joining us for our FIRST ever hunting podcast here on the Young American Hunter podcast. As you may have already heard, this podcast is gauged towards the new hunters trying to get out in the woods. The Young American Hunter podcast is here to entertain the hunting population, educate upcoming hunters, provide product reviews and discuss some of the newest Wildlife Management Laws. This episode is broadcasted by Jake (Big Haas). Ryan (Rooster) will be joining us in the following episodes. As time goes on and the more episodes that are being published, we promise you it will be more entertaining. This episode is just an introduction... We cant wait to bring more to you! Follow our virtual journal on Instagram (@rj_outoor_experience) and engage in some of the feeds we post! We look forward to hearing from you and enjoy the show! Thank you for joining us for our FIRST ever hunting podcast here on the Young American Hunter podcast. As you may have already heard, this podcast is gauged towards the new hunters trying to get out in the woods. The Young American Hunter podcast is here to entertain the hunting population, educate upcoming hunters, provide product reviews and discuss some of the newest Wildlife Management Laws. This episode is broadcasted by Jake (Big Haas). Ryan (Rooster) will be joining us in the following episodes. As time goes on and the more episodes that are being published, we promise you it will be more entertaining. This episode is just an introduction... We cant wait to bring more to you! Follow our virtual journal on Instagram (@rj_outoor_experience) and engage in some of the feeds we post! We look forward to hearing from you and enjoy the show!"
      "FYI... Future podcasts will be longer! this was a basic overview of Jakes's hunting background. We hope you enjoyed it... God Bless America"

Link:  https://anchor.fm/youngamericanhunter
      FOLLOW: @rj_outdoor_experience on Instagram