Taking of young bucks does it really make sense?

HuntNfish100

No one is passing judgement.  If you like to shoot for meat or the joy of hunting more power to you.  They are just stating that these type of hunters tend to go the extra mile to get a big buck.  Much more than the average hunter will.  That's all.

don't take this the wrong way, because it probably doesn't apply to you or many on this board....but, there is no shortage of guys who look down at those who are happy with does and 1.5 year old bucks.....and I may be wrong, but I believe that is a fact.

• Like 1

And I have nothing but respect for any hunter that kills, or chooses not to kill ANY legal deer. We all hunt for different reasons, and are different people. I don't think the size of the deer a hunter wants to kill, determines if they are anything other than another hunter. No one should ever be made to feel ashamed of any deer killed! It's truly an honor to hunt and kill any deer. We are all in this together, and no one should feel superior or inferior based on the deer they choose to kill.

Edited by grampy
  • Like 4

I don't think this is about passing judgement on anyone or acting holier than thou... I think we're all in agreement that hunting is about enjoying it in your own way. But, in the same sense there is a point to be made about what passing young bucks has to offer for those that complain that there aren't enough mature bucks out there. But even with all that we must realize that anything we see in the way of hunting is directly related to what we as hunters are doing to make it better or worse. Whether its apathy, differences of opinion, falure to get involved or speak up to the people that matter, or our choice of hunting practices. We set the pace for how hunting is in NY. You reap what you sow.. I have developed a mindset that allows me to not be affected by any of it... I'm going to have a good hunting experience regardless of what comes down the pike as long as there are woods to hunt. I notice that there is a lot of complaining about how big, or how many, bucks there are from those that say how none of that is really the important part of hunting... if it isn't important then lets talk about something else. Offering a differing opinion is not passing judgement... calling someone "holier than thou" is.

• Like 1

don't take this the wrong way, because it probably doesn't apply to you or many on this board....but, there is no shortage of guys who look down at those who are happy with does and 1.5 year old bucks.....and I may be wrong, but I believe that is a fact.

I dont have a problem with the ones that kill yearlings, I have a problem when they all make every reason in the world as to why they shot it.  Many would rather chew their arm off than say they did not kill a buck this year. No problem what so ever shooting does for meat or management reasons

I don't think this is about passing judgement on anyone or acting holier than thou... I think we're all in agreement that hunting is about enjoying it in your own way. But, in the same sense there is a point to be made about what passing young bucks has to offer for those that complain that there aren't enough mature bucks out there. But even with all that we must realize that anything we see in the way of hunting is directly related to what we as hunters are doing to make it better or worse. Whether its apathy, differences of opinion, falure to get involved or speak up to the people that matter, or our choice of hunting practices. We set the pace for how hunting is in NY. You reap what you sow.. I have developed a mindset that allows me to not be affected by any of it... I'm going to have a good hunting experience regardless of what comes down the pike as long as there are woods to hunt. I notice that there is a lot of complaining about how big, or how many, bucks there are from those that say how none of that is really the important part of hunting... if it isn't important then lets talk about something else. Offering a differing opinion is not passing judgement... calling someone "holier than thou" is.

sure, you're pretty much on point with my way of thinking as to let each do their own thing..getting antler restrictions forced on you you kinda removes a lot of that.....and like I said, that wasn't really directed towards anyone on here, but I think we would be blind to say that there aren't those who don't want us to do as we chose and pass judgement on what they don't consider a worthy kill...do you see otherwise?.....it's hard to have a mindset that allows one to be unaffected when such things as antler restrictions are forced on you...and make no mistake, I was very vocal and wrote many emails against it.

I dont have a problem with the ones that kill yearlings, I have a problem when they all make every reason in the world as to why they shot it.  Many would rather chew their arm off than say they did not kill a buck this year. No problem what so ever shooting does for meat or management reasons

thank you..I totally agree.

I guess im gonna compare another hated topic to the whole AR and doe only, Common core everybody our age hates it, Its different and we are not used to change, Therefor we all hate it, But the system works, kids that started school with the program get along fine and actually do well, I think its the same with AR make the changes now and the future hunters wont know the difference therefor its normal and not a problem, Just my $.02

Edited by wheelieman

I guess im gonna compare another hated topic to the whole AR and doe only, Common core everybody our age hates it, Its different and we are not used to change, Therefor we all hate it, But the system works, kids that started school with the program get along fine and actually do well, I think its the same with AR make the changes now and the future hunters wont know the difference therefor its normal and not a problem, Just my $.02

if that's what you're in the game for...I'm not.

Personally, I could care less what size antlers, age, etc. bucks others choose to kill. Who I am I to try and stop someone from killing a young buck if that will satisfy them? I definitely do not support any type of mandatory antler restrictions. Antlers are secondary for me, meat comes first. In addition to the headgear, bucks put on a lot of body-mass between their first and second year with horns. That is the only reason why I pass on some smaller 1-1/2 year bucks, earlier in the respective seasons (archery and gun). Near the end of those, I will gladly take a 1-1/2 year buck with a single 3" horn if given the chance.

I don't count a season as completely successful if I have not filled both of my buck tags. Does are merely an added bonus. That said, most of the deer I have killer over the last 30 some seasons have been does strictly due to tag availability. I definitely prefer killing bucks. They are faster for me to process, with less fat to trim, the antlers make nice "grab-handles" to drag from the woods, and reminders of successful hunts, and they taste as good or better than does. Leaving some does also helps keep the local population strong and insures future success, much more than leaving some bucks.

To those who wish to see mandatory antler restrictions, I suggest to look not at restricting others to increase your own odds of bagging a bigger buck, but look at improving your own skill-set. You have full control over that.

• Like 1

Change can be good and change can be bad... changing something that isn't working is smart... changing something that has worked for centuries that takes more time to do but ends up with the same result is not. To bring it back to the AR and doe only thing... mandating both might be okay if there was a defined reason for it that made sense in the areas and seasons they are imposed, but that, like common core, is not the case... there is no good reason given, just a change created without a sensible need.

For the record I can do common core math.. it is not easier than the way the rest of us learned to get to the same answer. I can solve 10 math problems in the time it takes just to get started with one common core problem. It was however a great way to get more money flowing into the school systems and to create unneeded administrative positions.

I myself can do common core math, Never said it was easier but to see the effect it has had on the younger generations and their ability too do math is great, The way they introduced it was wrong, Same with AR and other management ideas,  Im just saying if you take a 130in whitetail stick him in the field next to a 50in whitetail, There isnt a hunter on this site or any where for that matter that wouldnt shoot the larger of the 2 bucks, Point being if you shoot every little buck on the property they will never mature into the big bucks that everybody dreams of at night, You take a 3 year old doe and place her next to 1.5 old buck chances are she is bigger then the buck, If your a meat hunter why would you shoot the buck; Instead of the doe?, I mean your there for the meat right?  Get this where i hunt the people up the road only shoot bucks, every year they get between 8-10 of them ranging in all sizes and age groups, They refuse to shoot doe, So the buck population is extremely low in my area, Its that type of situation that needs to stop, Again just my $.02

If there was a minimum antler size law in effect of let's say 8 points, in a few years we would have 8 pointers roaming around for the take. In other words, give the young bucks a chance to get to the 8 point range. In a few years, instead of taking the young bucks you would be taking 8 pointers in almost the same numbers.

So if you shoot only 8 pt and bigger, especially in high hunter density areas you will promote very large 6pt and smaller as they are un touchable, it's called highgrading, we even do that to our timber, take out the good lumber trees and leave the junk, eventually all you have is junk, it's big mature but will never be a top dollar lumber tree. 90% of nys is hygraded timber.,

Instead, let people who are happy with "junk" kill little deer and you can keep.passing up the perfect litter 8 and 10 pt and let them get bigger and then shoot one when it reaches your size minimum....

A friend in an antler restricted area says he gets lots of big racks on his cameras - at night. They never see those deer during the day,

Washington county boarders VT and VT passed a two on one side rule several years back. Some guys (my friends included) thought it was a death srntence at first. However that has changed. It was quite suprising to compare the buck harvest charts posted at the local country store over the first three years. Bigger deer and more deer. All this being said I have buddies that shoot young bucks here in NY and I am usually more happy that they got something than they are. I've done it myself... I've just changed my personal goals.

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

No matter what someone will look down on what you or I do.  Regardless if it is hunting or driving your car.  This is the way of the world, most of those idiots are so self centered that nothing you say will change them even if you are right.  Learn to disregard the pathetic over the top points of view, I did it on here recently. (not this post) 

Many of us do hunt for many different reason but I believe many of us here are of the same likeness even if we have different opinions.  I have respect for the first year hunter and the guy with many trophies on the wall if taken legally, meat hunter, trophy hunter, traditional bow, crossbow, stalkers, tree huggers etc.

The only hunters I look down on are those who poach, do not follow the basic regulations or if the moral code is not my cup of tea. 

My personal goal on bucks has changed over the years. Like anyone else, I really want to harvest a good buck...8 to 10 points with good mass. May never happen, but I'll keep trying until someone has to pull my bow from my cold dead hands. My goal is one thing, but to someone that just wants to hunt and take that spike on the only weekend he/she has to hunt...then go ahead and enjoy. To see that grin on someones face for accomplishing what he/she set out to do will put a grin on my face too.

Would love to have my only son hunt and enjoy such an adventure in taking that spike or doe...guess it will not happen due to a lack of interest. 

Take what you want( legally) and enjoy the great outdoors. 

• Like 1