2015 Fletch In The Field

Fletch

10/17 pm

Out back in the far stand. Sat 2.5 hours. Did not see a thing until 6 then had a doe and fawn cruise by left of me about 60 yards out. A few minutes later I had a lone doe. I think, come in on my left. She was just past 40 yards and at first I thought she might be a small buck being alone. She started heading off then a small buck came in from behind and she turned back. I had to sit in stand half hour extra waiting for them to move off so not to spook them. Finally some action though all last minute.

10/19 pm 52

Out behind the house for a quick sit in the field edge stand. Could only get out for an hour. At 6 I had a spike come out at 40yards and eat apples for 10 minutes or so. I have seen him a couple other times already. He is my resident deer lol. I also saw a grouse run down my trail.

10/22 am 57

Out back in the far stand for 2 hours. The rain had just stopped and it took forever to get light this morning. The woods were very quiet. Thought for sure I would see a deer. Not to be!!

Pulled to cam cards. Hey just an fyi if you forget to turn the cam on it does not take pictures!! da

The one I did turn on not one daytime pic, no goods.

Edited by Fletch
  • Like 1

10/24 am 38

Out behind the house in the far stand for 3 hours and a big zip. I did hit a scrape going in by one of my brothers stands that was not there yesterday. Neither of us saw a thing.

I then went to an unhuntable property and got about a gallon of dirt and 5 licking branches form assorted fresh scrapes. I then put a couple mocks in by the far stand behind the house. Then went to another property and put a mock scrape in by the deep hole stand which also had about 6 fresh scrapes around it.

Pm 51

I then hit 2 Rivers for a little wander with my climber for last watch. I saw one doe while walking in and watched for 1.5 hours no luck.

Things should start picking up lots of new scrapes.

• Like 1

10/25 am 52

Down in the deep hole stand for 5.5 hours. At 9:30 I had a doe and two fawns come in and hang around for a long time. They browsed and bedded off and on for 3+ hours. Twice the doe was two steps from a shooting lane. After the doe finally bedded a bit farther away I was willing to spook a fawn betting that the doe would not get to bent. I eased down and out and did just that and they jogged into the thick stuff. Bro was out up top and saw nothing.

pm 49

Back in the same spot at 4pm for 2 hours. On way in I bumped the same 3 bedded right near my stand. Nothing else for me or brother.

I did pull the cam card on this spot and it showed a lot more activity but all at night. 4 different bucks and lots of does. A decent 8 made the scrapes this week. He was on camera 3 times in the last 5 days.

The next two weeks should be interesting.

10/26 am 32

Out back in the far stand for 2 hours this morning. It was crisp out! Before light I had one  run in behind me and just stop and never heard it again. Did not see anything on watch. On the way out I jumped a 4? pointer eating apples in front of one of my brothers stands. Pulled two cam cards, one by my far stand not much interesting and one off the clearing by the tower stand. That cam is not working well and is new replacement from the company. I am going to have to change it again.

10/27 am 29

I was going to head to the hole property this morning but I had a 9:30 conference call. I hunted behind the house so I could sit longer and get back into the home office on time. I hunted the far stand and it was nice and cold. A bit before 8am I hear footsteps off to my right so grab the bow and stand up. Here comes a nice buck just cruising along. He is angling across in front of me and about 20 yards out. He hits a nice big opening and I grunt he stops and I put the hit on him. I was a bit nervous it was high a touch and not a pass through. The arrow was deep though hitting just past halfway back angled towards the front of the far leg. He ran out of site and I heard a big crash. I could not see him though so I waited 45 minutes and got down. After I walked 25 feet I could see white, no track job needed. The arrow was still in him and he went maybe 60 yards. The arrow punched through the diaphragm and into the boiler room. The arrow penetrated about 14-15 inches. Got him gutted out and dragged him across the creek to my trail and went back to get the zero turn!! lol I sold my sons 4 wheeler so hey work smart not hard!! That was the plan anyway until I could not get the zero turn started! So I ended up dragging him all the way out the old fashioned way! He is a solid buck. He hit 166 lbs on the scale. Oh and he was stuffed full!! I never gutted a deer that had so much food in his gut! When I was cutting him open his stomach was exploding out the cut. I had to be super careful. He had a lot of soybeans and apples in him.

8pa15f_zpszlgnuzmj.jpg

8pa16e_zpsyg38oglz.jpg

8pa15d_zpsfbeggcqd.jpg

8pa15c_zpsxuebinby.jpg

Edited by Fletch
  • Like 8

Beautiful deer, congrats, Fletch ! is it the same 8 who made the scrapes you mentioned in the 10/25 post?

If not, at least you have an opportunity at that one also.

Enjoy the rest of the season!

Thank you,

No this is a different property. This guy was walking right between my two mocks I made here without giving them a glance lol.

I had one fuzzy night pick of a good sized buck crossing in the same spot about 2 weeks ago so it might be him.

This dude covers some property. He was full of soybeans and apples and the closest soybeans I would say is a mile and a half.

The 8 at the other property will probably get a pass if I see him in gun. I would like to think I can hold out for a hope I see something really big!! Need a doe or two for the freezer yet though!

• Like 1