2015 Fletch In The Field

Fletch

Well after taking a few days off looks like a good afternoon to get out there. I have been taking it easy waiting for the 7th. I really want to shoot one with the crossbow. But a nice doe gives me a good shot I got a spot for her in the freezer!!

10/30 pm 48

Got out to the far stand for 2 hours tonight. It was a bit breezy and truthfully real slow. Not a thing going on. I was watching a squirrel redecorate his nest high up in a tree about 30 yards in front of me for the last hour. He must have got storm damage of the last two days of wind. I moved a lot of falling limbs off the trail going in. Right past sunset as I was packing up my gear I heard running deer and had 2 run this way and that about 80-90 yards out could not see a rack but neither were real big. When I got down I stepped on a stick and heard another out in the pines trot off. Be back at it in the morning.

10/31 am 30

Down in the hole stand for 5 hours. 9 am had a button and small doe come in and milled around browsing and eating apples for an hour. I could never get a good shot at the doe with the button 10 feet from me. They finally wandered off. A bit later glassing I see they did not wander far and are bedded in the thick about 60 yards out. I want to get down so I spend the next 20 minutes grunting, snort wheezing and fawn bawling to finally irritate them enough to wander off so I can slip out. Get home and a doe and fawn in the backyard eating apples at 1pm. Had that buck heart fried for lunch pow it was delish!

Edited by Fletch

10/2 am 45

Down in the outer hole stand for 2 hours. Right at sunrise I had a button come down right under me. At 8:30 I had a decent 8 point walk by, stop and pose at 22 yards in one lane then wander up towards my brothers stand. Too bad he is a t work, I sent him a pic though cause I'm nice like that.

TY ADK!

Well back from LA. Had today off but with the weather crap I went to work.

My mother in law called last night and someone hit a buck in front of her house.

My daughter told me Tuesday after I left for the airport she heard noise out front and saw a pickup stopped and a guy swinging a rake or shovel handle at something on the ground. Trees blocking her view and the neighbors yelling!! She thinks they hit a deer and were trying to finish it off but was not going out there. I have not run into the neighbor yet I hope it was not a big boy!!

Wife is starting to see a lot of dead ones on her drive to work.

So the bucks are getting pretty stupid!!

Edited by Fletch

11/7 am 48

Got out in the deep hole stand for 1.5 hours with the crossbow. Right after I got in I heard a deer blowing way behind me. I think my BIL jumped it. Then I heard it walk behind me in the thick stuff. It was still dark out so no idea what it was. Just a bit before sunrise I heard another come in from the front. It came right into my lane it was either a lone doe or a big button. Then around 7:45 I had the same doe and fawn come in as I have seen two other mornings here. She is pretty small but after a bit she just gave me to good a shot at 35 yards in my lane. Pulled the trigger and thwap right on the money. No pass through and she takes off. After a couple seconds of her running I hear a crash. It was not in site so I waited 45 minutes and got down and followed a very easy blood trail 50 yards. She was not too big at 90 pounds dressed but I bet she will be tasty!

post-481-14469367227934_thumb.jpg

My BIL was out this morn nothing and my bro was behind my house for 9 hours today with a zip. I think those two must smell lol.

Edited by Fletch

11/8 pm 49

Just slipped out for an hour in the field edge stand close out back. Still feeling like crap. Snuck in and just as I put my weight on the stand it creaked and jumped at least one deer bedded about 25 yards away in the thick brush. Dang. That pretty much summed up no sightings after that.

11/11 am

Hunted down in the deep hole stand for 2.5 hours. I had a 4 point come in and work up the scrape for a good while. He milled back and forth for a while and then headed up the ridge. He actually snuck in on my brother in his stand and worked a scrape up there.

11/11 pm high 50s

Out back in the tower blind with my son for 2 hours. He got a shot off at a squirrel halfway through our sit and scared it to near death! Then about half an hour after that he spotted a small doe come in. She knew something was up but was acting 1.5 years old and coming closer to investigate instead of running away. She left and came back 3 times and finally it was dark and I wanted to get down without spooking her too bad. She had let out a soft blow so I blew back at her and that finally got her to take off. We had a good time. She was pretty small and my next doe tag needs to be on something over 100 pounds dressed.

I have Friday off but if the rain is what they are calling for I may just work. Last weekend coming up then it gets noisy.

11/15 am 38

Out for 3.5 hours in the deep hole stand. Around 9 I had a button pop outa air in front of me. I was passing some time playing sudoku in the phone and looked up and he is 35 yards out in lane. I glass him and see the buttons. He is a fat one hope to see him a few years down the road. He is eating apples and then rubs his head in a licking branch. I then catch movement coming in from out front left in the thick stuff. Looks like 2 a doe and fawn coming right at him. He hears them and moves they spook and turn and jog off then he chases after them. Thanks Bucky for running off the doe!

Neither BIL or Bro saw anything.

11/16 am 40

Out in the far stand behind the house for 2 hours. This stand has just gone dead and the whole section is not seeing the usual activity. Food source change I would imagine. I have only control over a little 40 acres of this 700 acre block so they could be using another area.

11/17 am 28

Hit the deep hole stand for 2 hours this morn. It was chilly with a heavy frost. My bro was up top in his stand. Neither of us saw or even heard a thing. The last few days have seemed like the second day of gun season! I am sure the bucks are locked up and that does not help but jeesh this is slow!

11/19 pm 62

Just got out for an hour in the tower. Man it is warm!! Not much going on except the neighbor starting to shoot at dusk. I still hear them now as I write this. Not sure what you are shooting at after dark every 3 minutes or so??

I have tomorrow off so a good morning sit and then run down to Tully to pop in my climber for opening rifle morning. The deer movement has been pretty poor to hunt home on the opener like we did last year. Not sure if it is a right move but it is a move!!

Hit a few stores this week to pick up some Lightfield 20 gauge and nobody has even a box. That is weird from Syracuse to Auburn nobody. I got 6 shells so I'm not worried. I will hunt rifle the opener then probably ML after that anyway.

11/20 am 42

Sat down in the hole for 2.5 hours. I had at least a couple walk by me before light. After the sun came up it was quiet! Zip

Then headed down south to state land and hiked flipping miles looking for a new spot. Ended up hiking all the way out and put my climber in my usual spot up that dang ridge! It's a bear climbing up in the morn but the drag is a push and watch it go! Guess I thought I just needed a 10 mile hike today!