Really? Your wife doesn't like that you hunt so much?

nyantler

Here is a good way to put things into perspective for her. There are 365 days in a year right? If you hunted every weekend of the season that would be about 26 days... now let's add a week off from work just to hunt... that's 5 more days for a total of 31 days (That's minimum). 365 - 31 = 334 days you have spent with her. Looks much better once you crunch the numbers huh? You guys, (like me), that fish, turkey hunt, play golf and have a few other hobbies throughout the year... sorry I can't help you.

You might wanna rethink the whole having a wife thing... or get one that doesn't care how much you hunt like me... LOL. :help:

Edited by nyantler
  • Like 4

my wife fully realizes that the amount of time I devote to being away from home hunting pales in comparison to the amount of time I devote to work and family vacations throughout the year..maybe some have a tough time balancing it out, but I'm fortunate to have enough vacation time to make it work......

• Like 1

Yep I'm lucky in both my job and wife. She does not care one bit how much I hunt.

I work 15 days a month , half of those nights which in theory means I can hunt a bit during those days. I take off about four weeks during the season as well.

I know guys who's wife's freak out if they hunt two weekends in a row!!!

I tell them the same thing gun season is 3 weeks out of 52, how can she possibly care ?

Idk some Marry the wrong person in my opinion .

We could not go on a honeymoon after we got married because I used up my time off a couple months prior canoeing in the Yukon.

My wife can go either way on this. One day she doesn't care. Next she's mad at the money and time. I just keep telling her she knew what she signed up for and if she'd like I can take the entire fall off from work and go back to guiding out west. That makes her even more mad lol. But it's the truth...I wanna go back to guiding so bad :(. Just don't make the kind of money I do at my regular day job

on the other hand, if your wife encourages you to go away, you may have something else to worry about.....

Yup...Been THERE....That's why I don't HAVE a wife anymore....

I did get a HECK of a lot of hunting in over the years, though...<<smile>>...

• Like 2

My fiancé is going to gun hunt this year! She's excited

Same here, she knows exactly what she signed up for, her family has 40 acres in Liberty and I know hunt there almost all season. As far as my fishing goes it works out great she is a pastry chef and goes to work at 2 am so she is asleep by 9. I just wait till she goes to bed and then I leave and fish, I just make sure I'm home before she wakes up. Over all it's the perfect situation

• Like 3

Nyantler, here is my math. I take one full week off for opening of gun season each year. Usually hunt second weekend too. So Like 8 days of hunting. And I pay for those 8 days for the other 357 days per year!!!

All kidding aside, balancing fishing and hunting with marriage, with 2 young kids, has been really hard. Married about 7 years. In that time I've gained a lot of respect for couples that have been able to hold it together for many years. I've also gained respect for those that said "the hell with this". Marriage, especially for a passionate fisherman AND hunter, can be a difficult path.

My wife likes my hunting and fishing because it reduces here grocery bill. She is not thrilled with the occasional taxidermy bills however, nor is she overly excited when I purchase new equipment. She has almost become addicted to the venison and now turns up her nose at beef. She does push me a bit to take smaller bucks (probably to avoid the taxidermy charges), and buttons are here favorites. I usually get her one of them every other year or so. She definitely helps keep my focus where it should be, on the meat, and not on the antlers. She also keeps me from pissing away cash on all the "latest and greatest" gear. Finally, she makes butchering go a little faster for me by running the vacuum sealer now and then, and she can cook venison as well as anyone.

I will definitely keep her and am far better with her than without.

Edited by wolc123

If you have young children, hunting needs to take a back seat.  If you think you'll spend every weekend between Oct 1-Dec 15th out hunting with the wife having to handle everything else that is falling behind at home, then you have a saint for a wife.   Very few will be happy with this setup.  My hunting time has diminished drastically due to family in recent years, and honestly I don't regret it.  I know what's more important in the long run.

Edited by steve863

Lol I'm getting married right in the rut this year buts it's ok

Are you nuts!? I told my wife no wedding during hunting season and no kids being born during hunting season, our first is being born on Christmas day, that was a close one. Edited by Jeremy K
  • Like 1

I appreciate the humor in threads like this as we all poke fun at ourselves and our SOs, but the more serious comments always bum me out a bit, I admit. I know it might blow your mind, but some of us wives have a mutual respect with our spouses.

In other news, my brother just took his hunter's education course and reported that around 50% of the kids taking it were girls. I won't be surprised to see threads the reverse of this in 20 years. 

• Like 2