Tracking dog available

outdoorstom

My name is Tom Rausch and I live near Waddington. I haven't been on the forum much, but want to get the word out that I just got my Leashed Tracking Dog license and I'm available to take calls. My dog, Luna, is a Wirehaired Daschund and we've only been on two calls so far. The first one we recovered a bear, the second one we searched unsuccessfully for a spike. Despite not finding it, Luna worked the line for an hour in a swamp without any visible blood. The trail eventually took us into a wood lot where we found one drop. We ended up back in the swamp where the trail was lost. I'm telling that story so nobody expects miracles. The success rate for tracking dogs is around 35%. I'm willing to travel around an hour and a half each way. Hopefully you don't need our services this season, but if you do, my number is (315) 854-2044.

image.jpg1_zpsno92i0xl.jpg

• Like 8

Good luck to you and Luna. John Jeannenney was my mentor in Deer Search. And I learned a lot from him. His knowledge of tracking and tracking dogs is known worldwide. The bloodline of their dogs, in my opinion, is second to none in the tracking line. I have had the pleasure to be the "dope on a rope" behind Sabina, one of the Jeannenney's most famous dogs. And I tracked down and killed the wounded buck that gored Sabina and busted up John, years ago. Due to knee surgeries, I had to give up tracking for Deer Search. But will still help a friend when needed. 

I encourage any hunters out there to read the books on tracking wounded deer, written by John Jeannenney. Even if you don't have a dog, the information given about blood tracking is worth much more than the price of the books. And may help you recover a wounded deer that might not have been otherwise.

Good luck to you and Luna. John Jeannenney was my mentor in Deer Search. And I learned a lot from him. His knowledge of tracking and tracking dogs is known worldwide. The bloodline of their dogs, in my opinion, is second to none in the tracking line. I have had the pleasure to be the "dope on a rope" behind Sabina, one of the Jeannenney's most famous dogs. And I tracked down and killed the wounded buck that gored Sabina and busted up John, years ago. Due to knee surgeries, I had to give up tracking for Deer Search. But will still help a friend when needed. 

I encourage any hunters out there to read the books on tracking wounded deer, written by John Jeannenney. Even if you don't have a dog, the information given about blood tracking is worth much more than the price of the books. And may help you recover a wounded deer that might not have been otherwise.

Excellent books.  Very tough licensing exam, but Deer Search Inc. does run a review course that is well worth it.

Got my tracking license as well.  Schatz (my Deutsch Drahthaar) and I have not been out on a live track yet.  Very hard to train when your buddies won't wait to let you scoop up enough blood.

The best I can do is salvage defrosting blood from old deer in the freezer.

Hope we can get out this year!!  Good luck to you Tom and Luna as well!!

Schatzie and Jaeger

Edited by Jaeger
  • Like 1

Welcome aboard Outdoorstom!  Happy to have you, my buddy did this for a while until he was feed up with it, way to many issues.  Wish only the best for you and Luna!  You are way up North wow!  Hope you have much success and help recover whatever is recoverable.  Some of the issues on LI where due to deer going onto properties hunter where not allowed to go on, even to track or recover. 

• Like 1

Welcome Outdoorstom ,Nice that the 2 of you recovered that bear  I am a past member of DSI also had a tracking lic. until my heart went sour about 10 years ago

grampy, If you ever heard about Lee B. from L.I. I was out on a few searches with her on the east end..

• Like 1

Welcome aboard Outdoorstom! Happy to have you, my buddy did this for a while until he was feed up with it, way to many issues. Wish only the best for you and Luna! You are way up North wow! Hope you have much success and help recover whatever is recoverable. Some of the issues on LI where due to deer going onto properties hunter where not allowed to go on, even to track or recover.

Yep, that will definitely end a tracking job. If we get to a property line and the hunter can't get permission to enter, it's over.