Need advice to keep a hunter hunting

Ihunt

Any one have a wife or gf that hunts and has some bad luck? Well I do we hunt my friends 86 acres and the owner usually take the hottest stand then for the past 3 year I have put my gf in the "next best" stand with the most amount of deer movement and for the past 3 years she eather hasn't seen anything or been to far away or are being chased by dogs or on the run and can't get them to stop or doesn't have a doe tag for that zone when I was sitting next to her ... So much bad luck that she has had enough and is threatening to quit hunting after this year if her luck don't change and I can feel her pain with people around her having success makes her more frustrated when she could have been sitting in that stand and all I can do is tell her that its called hunting not killing and her luck will change but after saying those frazes for 2 years now they don't carry much meaning to her anymore... So my question is does anyone have tips or advice on keeping a hunter hunting

Maybe hunting is not for her. If someone is really into hunting a dry spell will not make them quit this wonderful sport we call hunting. Geez i know many of people that have had dry spells for years and kept at it. The hunt must be in her to be able to get thru these times, not something that could be taught or forced upon someone.

• Like 1

does she get excited when she "almost" gets a deer? if not, maybe it's just not for her.....if she's just barely tolerating sitting there with the sole intent of killing something to make her hunt a success, then maybe it's not for her??? the people I knew who were miserable with the experience of "hunting", really didn't change their minds even after killing something.........on the other hand, those who came unglued at the mere sight of a deer coming close stuck with it either way

Edited by jjb4900
  • Like 2

Yup My daughter has had the same luck for over 5 years deer & turkey hunting she still has yet to use a tag but I make sure to tell her after every hunt how much I love her & how much I enjoy the time I get to spend with her in the woods because someday we wont be together to do it. It is not all about the killing. It is about the memories we make

Edited by gfdeputy2
  • Like 3

I have had way more "bad" seasons then good ones. Of course it's nice to get a deer and why we do it but I like to think of all the time I get to spend with my dad on those long drives early in the morning and meeting at the pond mid day to exchange deer reports. Gotta look at the bigger picture.

• Like 1

I strongly feel that you can make "luck" happen with preparation. If what you are doing is not working, switch stands, properties if possible, times you hunt, stay longer on stand. Be adaptable! We all have times where no matter what we do, we come home empty handed. It's all part of hunting as you stated. By changing your set up's or where you set up will keep things a bit more interesting. It can be very frustrating for a new hunter at first, until they gain the confidence and skills needed to be successful. You sometimes can do everything right with no results. Just keep at it, and learning,and the results will follow! Refuse to lose! It can go from bust to a buck in an instant! Hang in there! Best of luck on a successful season, this year!

• Like 1

And maybe after she finally has success, she will be frustrated because it wasn't a buck, or it wasn't a big enough buck. It really sounds like a case of too much expectation. There is a lot going on around us that tries to make hunting seem easy. Some of that is attributed to TV. I started at a time when it was expected that you would not get anything. That made the dry years seem much more tolerable.

Maybe instead of putting her in the "next best" stand, you will have to let her put some time in the "best" stand. Somebody suggested some drives with her as the stander. That sounded like a pretty good idea to me too. But beware, like I said, when the expectations challenge reality, some times token successes may not be adequate. Be prepared for that.

• Like 1

I strongly feel that you can make "luck" happen with preparation. If what you are doing is not working, switch stands, properties if possible, times you hunt, stay longer on stand. Be adaptable! We all have times where no matter what we do, we come home empty handed. It's all part of hunting as you stated. By changing your set up's or where you set up will keep things a bit more interesting. It can be very frustrating for a new hunter at first, until they gain the confidence and skills needed to be successful. You sometimes can do everything right with no results. Just keep at it, and learning,and the results will follow! Refuse to lose! It can go from bust to a buck in an instant! Hang in there! Best of luck on a successful season, this year!

The best motocross racer of all time ,Ricky Carmichael used to say all the time that you make your own luck. Very true statement.

is she interested in hunting outside the "actual hunt" itself?........my wife hunted for a few years and only went because I asked her, but outside the actual sitting in a stand she had zero interest in any other aspect of it..............kinda like when I go to a Broadway Show with her, I'll sit there and be miserable for 2 or 3 hours, have no idea what the big draw is, and can't understand how she thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread, and can't wait to get out of there and hope she never asks again......

Certainly sounds like access is the issue here. Need to find more or different ground to hunt.

• Like 1

And maybe after she finally has success, she will be frustrated because it wasn't a buck, or it wasn't a big enough buck. It really sounds like a case of too much expectation. There is a lot going on around us that tries to make hunting seem easy. Some of that is attributed to TV. I started at a time when it was expected that you would not get anything. That made the dry years seem much more tolerable.

Maybe instead of putting her in the "next best" stand, you will have to let her put some time in the "best" stand. Somebody suggested some drives with her as the stander. That sounded like a pretty good idea to me too. But beware, like I said, when the expectations challenge reality, some times token successes may not be adequate. Be prepared for that.

Sounds like the same thing is being done for far too long. The owner takes the best stand in this scenario. After year one of this, if it wasn't working out, they should be branching out to find places, even if small, to open up added opportunity.

what did your friend say when you explained this dilemma to him? did he offer up "the best" stand or did he blow you off? I'm pretty sure that most of the friends I hunt with would offer it up without even being asked if they knew a new hunter was struggling to stay in the game..........matter of fact I thought it was common practice to put the new hunter in the best stand.....when my wife started hunting, the owner of the property thought it was the greatest thing and went out of his way to make sure she was in the best spot possible.

Edited by jjb4900
  • Like 1

Yes she gets excited and shakes and all the pre kill jitters but let let downs are sometimes just to much for her the 7 doe at 7 yards with no doe tag was probably the best and worst day of hunting I have ever had with her I don't think her intention is to kill every time she goes out but last

Year my friend put a first time hunter in a stand opening day and filled a tag and that broke her heart and in her head made her the worst hunter ever which broke my heart cuz everyone knows the worst hunters get lucky and the best hunters get skunked sometimes as I have always said sometimes it's better to be lucky than good ...

P.s I kno there's not much I can do other the. Hope and pray for her just had get a little monkey off my back and I thank you all for that

Yes she gets excited and shakes and all the pre kill jitters but let let downs are sometimes just to much for her the 7 doe at 7 yards with no doe tag was probably the best and worst day of hunting I have ever had with her I don't think her intention is to kill every time she goes out but last

Year my friend put a first time hunter in a stand opening day and filled a tag and that broke her heart and in her head made her the worst hunter ever which broke my heart cuz everyone knows the worst hunters get lucky and the best hunters get skunked sometimes as I have always said sometimes it's better to be lucky than good ...

P.s I kno there's not much I can do other the. Hope and pray for her just had get a little monkey off my back and I thank you all for that

Not trying to sound rough, but I completely disagree.

Spend a bit of time and effort to find some other ground where you can put her in a better odds situation.

• Like 2

What county do you hunt?

Easy to give up, but a real hunter does it for the enjoyment of the outdoors not killing an animal.  Explain to her that it is about the experience and not the kill. 

We all do if for different reasons, what is her reason for hunting?

Enjoy your outdoor time and do not make a priority to kill yet a priority to have a good time in nature.  The more time she spends outdoors will teach her how to hunt and why she is really interested in it.

My hunting partner has yet to kill a whitetail, we have been hunting together since 1988.  You have the itch or you do not.  Hope he scratches the hell out of it this year!  Good luck Shawn!

• Like 2

No I know there are things I can do I would love to buy her her own private property but we don't have the finances for the which leave public land or asking farmers it's hard enough to get farmers around me

To let me coyote hunt their land let alone deer hunt it and when it comes to scouting areas its ruff with working 50-60 hours at one job and still trying to run a side job out of my garage and when I do have free time I do scout or

Clean lanes up and yes I know excuses excuses but they are what they are

No I know there are things I can do I would love to buy her her own private property but we don't have the finances for the which leave public land or asking farmers it's hard enough to get farmers around me

To let me coyote hunt their land let alone deer hunt it and when it comes to scouting areas its ruff with working 50-60 hours at one job and still trying to run a side job out of my garage and when I do have free time I do scout or

Clean lanes up and yes I know excuses excuses but they are what they are

More the reason to show her it is not about the killing but rather the quality time you spend together in the woods

• Like 2