Buy Land - Then what?

not always........even with a permit some DEP land is off limits.

That's right. This piece is off limits. It's one of the DEP lands that cant be hunted. Nor is it one that can even be used for hiking or fishing. It's completely off limits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

That's right. This piece is off limits. It's one of the DEP lands that cant be hunted. Nor is it one that can even be used for hiking or fishing. It's completely off limits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perfect.  You will reap the benefits as the adjoining land owner.  We have one 23 acre parcel that abuts a park (no hunting) on two sides.  The amount of deer we see and kill there is incredible and they backfill every year with a 700 acre no hunting park next door.  It makes the place hunt much larger than it is.

• Like 1

Guys thoughts on this 2-man ladder stand? For the extra $30-$40, makes no sense to me to get a 1-man, why not have extra room right?

http://www.summitstands.com/summit-crush-series-dual-pro-ladder-stand

Also, this may be a dumb question....but as someone who doesn't hunt treestands, when using a ladder stand....are you harnessed to the tree as you climb each step? or do you climb it like a normal ladder at home (no harness) and then attach to the tree once on the platform?

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Its not about having the extra room yet. Its about ease of moving it. Believe me, 2 man stands are a pain in the backside to put up and take down because of the amount of weight at the top. I wouldnt even get one of the stands with all the bells and whistles at this point, just a basic one man ladder with a foot platform that goes all the way to the tree.

Like these

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/big-dog-16-blue-tick-ladder-tree-stand-bdl-300?a=1837163

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/guide-gear-16-archers-ladder-tree-stand?a=1333064

You can use a prusik with a ladder stand if you like. I dont though, I just attach when I get up there.

• Like 2

Its not about having the extra room yet. Its about ease of moving it. Believe me, 2 man stands are a pain in the backside to put up and take down because of the amount of weight at the top. I wouldnt even get one of the stands with all the bells and whistles at this point, just a basic one man ladder with a foot platform that goes all the way to the tree.

Like these

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/big-dog-16-blue-tick-ladder-tree-stand-bdl-300?a=1837163

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/guide-gear-16-archers-ladder-tree-stand?a=1333064

You can use a prusik with a ladder stand if you like. I dont though, I just attach when I get up there.

Plus, I find many 2 man stands much less comfortable.  Basics are great.

• Like 1

Like these

Thanks guys, interesting stuff and makes sense. Those 2 stands look good, only thing is I would probably want one that has that shooting rail that can be lifted up.

As WNY BH said ladder stands are a pain to carry and put up ( by one ) person doing it, better off wit 2 people erecting them.,Buy extra load binders to take some of the wobble out of the thing.Shooting rail is a good option , I made mine + added a swivel seat afterwoods.Just one of the strap on type that I modified . For posted sines if you are going to buy a better type get the metal ones,with your info on them there are some up around me that are 50 years old , paint is faded but they are still hanging where they were put.  As

.vosssigns.com/product/106wpooa/

• Like 1

For those following along, thanks so much for all the help. I owe a lot of guys beers!  I did a satellite and of course my paint drawing skills are expert level, but you get the idea. Good news is I found the "overgrown fields" the owner told me about on the 115. I had driven on the road south of the 115 and saw gates and lots of posted signs, but I couldn't see through to find the overgrown fields....it appears they are pretty far in and pretty close to our 20....so this all looks good!!

post-871-0-86557000-1443804080_thumb.jpg

Its all about the weight. I prefer stands that have foot rests that go all the way to the tree, and a flip up seat so I can stand up against the tree. If you are just looking to sit down, then you dont need to worry about that. The other reason I like the foot platform to go all the way back, is the rock solid feel of the stand attached at multiple points.

• Like 1

As WNY BH said ladder stands are a pain to carry and put up ( by one ) person doing it, better off wit 2 people erecting them.,Buy extra load binders to take some of the wobble out of the thing.Shooting rail is a good option , I made mine + added a swivel seat afterwoods.Just one of the strap on type that I modified . For posted sines if you are going to buy a better type get the metal ones,with your info on them there are some up around me that are 50 years old , paint is faded but they are still hanging where they were put.  As

.vosssigns.com/product/106wpooa/

Single ladders are easy to move alone, provided they arent really top heavy.

Biz, what does that doo to you for recovery then?

I've never had an issue. The current place we hunt (same town), borders similar type of property. The few times a deer crossed the boundary, we call in and they have always given us access over the phone to retrieve. We always offer for them to come see the blood trail starts on legal hunting areas, but they never care to come out.

• Like 1

I've never had an issue. The current place we hunt (same town), borders similar type of property. The few times a deer crossed the boundary, we call in and they have always given us access over the phone to retrieve. We always offer for them to come see the blood trail starts on legal hunting areas, but they never care to come out.

yeah, I think the DEP is pretty good as far as that goes.....the few times I chatted with DEP Police they were pretty friendly.

• Like 1

I love that south west corner of your 20, too bad you cant get closer to the tip of that ravine. should be a natural funnel

The SW corner is where the landowner told us his late father shot all his deer. It may very well be within the 20, I am just rough drawing it.

OMG, you could fill a book with info about ladder stands. From the "trap" of buying them online w/$$ s/h, assembling them w/included instructions, the crappy ratchets, hardware & seat cushions that are included, techniques about how-to erect them w/o an incident, to which ones are best for your style of hunting. Obviously there are a lot of decent inexpensive ones and some much better ($$) ones w/HD material construction. Had them all, from the minimal $50 ones I found on sale to the top of the line name brand ones in the $250 range. Best ones I own were from Dick's that I got on sale as an end of season promotion for ~$120/ea. Believe they were Comfort Zone brand Outlook something or the other model, don't see them offered on their website. They have "D" shaped ladder vertical supports making the entire stand super strong. A little more difficult to erect due to added weight, but much easier because there is NO wobble in ladder section when walking them upright like an extension ladder.

Do a forum search, if I recall there are several other threads about assembling, transporting, erecting & using ladder stands. Lot of "learn from my mistakes" type of advice!!!

I'd go in an hunt the hell out of the land.. thats why you bought it. All this pussy footing around the property to keep from spooking deer is a bunch of crap. Hunt the dang thing! Then go back and hunt it some more the next day... and the day after!

• Like 2

We bought our place in hunting season and started hunting it right away, set up a couple stands and went right in. We got a few deer the same year. As for posted signs I'd go with metal since I put up plastic ones and the locals in Cattaraugus county quickly took them down and also took all my driveway markers lol

• Like 1

Don't worry about spooking deer etc. When I bought my property we closed right before deer season. I found a spot the week before opening day and piled a couple of rocks to find my stump over looking a funnel I expected the deer to go through. Well I got out late opening morning around 7 sat down and 15 minutes later a 6 point walked next to me and was hamburger. Point is this, deer can show up any where on your property so go out and find a spot. You get one or not who cares it's your property to play on and when ever you can hunt any day you want in season of course????

As for the tree stand

I just bought a 2 person stand from sportsman guide for $89. Dicks has the same one for $99. Go get it set it up ASAP. Move it after season. Get couple of cameras too. You can use them to track deer now and watch the property later

Have fun and good luck

• Like 1