Venison chilli recipes

boo711

I'm looking for a good venison chilli recipe if any one is willing to share. Looking for something that has a little kick but doesn't set the mouth on fire so it is not enjoyable to eat. I seem to have mis placed my recipe and just wanted to see if someone else had a pretty good recipe to try

1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes 

1 28 oz can diced tomatoes

1 green pepper cut up in small pcs 

3 pounds of fried venison burger

1 package of McCorrimick chili mix

1 package of McCorrmick Hot chili mix 

3 cans of chili beans

Dump the two cans of tomatoes and the 3 cans of beans in a 5 quart crock pot . Cut up the pepper in very small pieces and toss it in the pot as well as a few of the seeds . Have crock pot on high . Put the burger in a large fry pan with a cover and fry until it looks done . Turn it over a few times to make sure all the burger is done .

Put one package of chili mix in the crock pot when the ingredients are warm and mix . Drain the meat and mix the other package of chili mix in the burger . Stir it up then put the burger in the crock pot and mix everything .

Periodically sample it to make sure it's okay . 

I have been doing this for years and when we have a pot luck dinner , I am usually asked to bring some chili . 

• Like 3

Start by sweating onions and garlic in olive oil then add diced poblano peppers ( little heat ) , then add ground meat , brown .... Add stewed tomatoes (smoked or fire roasted are the bomb) , add your chilli beans ( or beans of your liking ) , can of corn , rice of your choosing , mushroom, and sauce .... Seasonings I go with salt , pepper, cumin , a little Rosemary , and the kicker - chipotle chilli powder to tasted .... Simmer for at least an hour and OMG num num numm....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by deerpassion
  • Like 1

I have a great chili recipe I will post later, but you definitely want to make this stew - courtesy of Emeril Lagasse:

Ingredients

3 tablespoons olive oil

2 pounds venison stew meat

1/4 cup flour

Essence, recipe follows

2 cups chopped onions

1 cup chopped celery

1 cup chopped carrots

1 tablespoon chopped garlic

1 cup chopped tomatoes, peeled and seeded

1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil

1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme

2 bay leaves

1 cup red wine

4 cups brown stock

Salt and black pepper

Crusty bread

Directions

In a large pot, over high heat, add the olive oil. In a mixing bowl, toss the venison with flour and Essence. When the oil is hot, sear the meat for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the onions and saute for 2 minutes. Add the celery and carrots. Season with salt and pepper. Saute for 2 minutes. Add the garlic, tomatoes, basil, thyme, and bay leaves to the pan. Season with salt and pepper. Deglaze the pan with the red wine. Add the brown stock. Bring the liquid up to a boil, cover and reduce to a simmer. Simmer the stew for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the meat is very tender. If the liquid evaporates too much add a little more stock.

Remove the stew from the oven and serve in shallow bowls with crusty bread. We served it over mashed potatoes AWESOME.

Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):

2 1/2 tablespoons paprika

2 tablespoons salt

2 tablespoons garlic powder

1 tablespoon black pepper

1 tablespoon onion powder

1 tablespoon cayenne pepper

1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano

1 tablespoon dried thyme

Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.

Yield: about 2/3 cup

• 4 weeks later...

3 cans of chili beans

Dump the two cans of tomatoes and the 3 cans of beans in a 5 quart crock pot . Cut up the pepper in very small pieces and toss it in the pot as well as a few of the seeds . Have crock pot on high . Put the burger in a large fry pan with a cover and fry until it looks done . Turn it over a few times to make sure all the burger is done .

Put one package of chili mix in the crock pot when the ingredients are warm and mix . Drain the meat and mix the other package of chili mix in the burger . Stir it up then put the burger in the crock pot and mix everything .

I have been doing this for years and when we have a pot luck dinner , I am usually asked to bring some chili . 

that's almost exactly how my recipe looks.....I just add a few fresh diced jalepenos into the mix for some added kick.

Hunter's Favorite Chili, from "Dressing and Cooking Wild Game"

3 pounds burger

3 medium onions chopped

3 medium green peppers, chopped

1/2 cup chopped celery

2 Tablespoons vegetable oil or bacon fat

1 28 oz can whole tomatoes, undrained

2 Tablespoons dried parsley flakes

2 Tablespoons chili powder (or more if you like)

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon pepper

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

2 15.5 oz cans kidney beans, undrained

1 16 oz can pinto beans, undrained

In Dutch Oven, brown meat over medium heat, stir occasionally.

Remove from heat, set aside.

In large skillet, cook and stir onions, green peppers, and celery in oil or bacon fat until tender.

Add vegetable mixture and all remaining ingredients except beans to Dutch oven with the meat.

Heat to boiling.

Reduce heat, cover. Simmer 1 hour to blend flavors.

Stir in beans. Cook, uncovered, 30 minutes longer.

Even people that have never had wild game before will eat this and enjoy it!

Edited by Otto

The Chili

4 lbs Venison burger

1 red onion

1 sweet onion

1 green pepper

1 yellow pepper

1 red pepper

2 tbs minced garlic

1 can black beans

4 cans kidney beans

1 28 oz diced tomatoes

2 28 oz cut up whole peeled plum tomatoes

1 can olives sliced up

chili powder

paprika

cumin

black pepper

salt

cayenne pepper

1/2-3/4 bottle stout beer you need to taste the rest!!

1/2 cup or so red wine

1-2 tbs honey

Brown the meat drain and add to a big cook pot. Sweat the garlic, onions and peppers and add. Add tomatoes and rinsed beans. I do not measure too much making chili, soups, stews. I eyeball it and taste along the way. I added some amounts to the main ingredients but it is a preference thing add more/less of what you like! So add the rest and let it simmer for a good while. Serve with really good bread, beer and wine!!

Edited by Fletch

I never use green peppers always red,orange or yellows...they do not have any bitterness to them...lots of garlic, smoked cumin and 3 tablespoons of chili powder..never add salt(it's in chili powder and worchester sauce) but a dash of worchestshire sauce one hot pepper....... white ,kidney,blk beans and chick peas a touch of basil. Onions are sauteed with the peppers and garlic then added to the diced and whole tomatoes,....I simmer until it is thick  let others salt and pepper to taste but add a sprinkling of shredded 4 cheese on top

Edited by growalot

Here's the basic recipe guidelines I use for a large crockpot of chili. To me chili is a creative cooking dish, so feel free to improvise!!!

• 1-1.5# ground venison ( I use venison sausage, so it needs to be thoroughly cooked)
  • 3 cans (drained) of 3 different colored beans (not limas, navy, chick peas or garbanzos!)
  • Peppers (whatever color), diced mushrooms, onion and garlic sauteed
  • All of above into large crockpot and fill with crushed &/or diced tomatoes
  • Add chili powder, chili seasoning mixes &/or whatever other seasonings you want
  • 1hr on high and another 4-6hrs on the low heat setting, stirring frequently
  • Since everything is pre-cooked, taste test ~1/2 way thru & season to taste
  • May need to add more diced tomatoes if it gets too thick
  • Makes ~4-5 super sized, hearty bowls of chili. Couple to eat & others to freeze
  • Top with shredded cheese of your choice and a side of Italian bread & butter

Here is the one I use...

Adirondack Venison Chili

Ingredients:

1 pound ground venison (increase lbs depending on how many servings)

1 tablespoon butter

1 small onion, minced

1 green pepper, chopped

1 large can chili beans or kidney beans

1 can (16 ounces) can stewed tomatoes

Salt and pepper to taste

2 teaspoons chili powder

1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms

Hot sauce to taste

In a large skillet with a lid, brown venison in butter, breaking the ground meat into

small pieces as you brown it. Add onion and green pepper and cook until onion begins

to brown, about 5 minutes. Stir often. Add beans, tomatoes, salt, pepper, chili powder,

mushrooms, and enough hot sauce to suit your taste, stirring occasionally. Cook about

1 hour over medium heat. Make ahead of time. Reheated it is even better!

• 3 weeks later...

I love this recipe, the stew meat gives it texture and something to chew on.

Venison Chili
1 pound dry kidney beans
1 pound ground venison
1 pound venison stew meat, in 1/2-inch chunks
2 Tbsp. oil
2 cloves garlic, minced = 2 tbsp
3 teaspoons chili powder
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. pepper
28-ounce can tomatoes, diced
1 large onion,diced
1/8 tsp dried ground jalapeno pepper
¼ tsp. cumin
2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
1/2 cup masa flour flour – All purpose flour will work, but not as well

Rinse beans and place in a large soup kettle. Add 2 quarts water and 2 teaspoons salt; cover the pot and bring to a boil. Boil gently for about 2 hours, until beans are tender. Brown meat in a large skillet containing oil and garlic. Add chili powder, salt and pepper. Cover and saute for an hour. Drain the beans and add 1½ quarts water, tomatoes, onion,  ground jalapeno, cumin and parsley. Simmer for an hour, then add meat mixture. Stir masa flour into 1 cup water to form a paste and blend into chili to thicken. Simmer for about half an hour, adjust the seasonings and serve.

Add some buttered garlic bread, cheese toast or some great homemade cornbread, and you’re set for a super meal!

• 2 years later...

It's all about personal preference and your mood during the creation. If there were only one very best or everyone's favorite chili recipe, there wouldn't be those infamous chili cook-offs, right? Mostly about the eye appeal factor and your taste buds, probably no "wrong" recipe for chili. After 2-3 trial 'n' error attempts, you'll have your own personal favorite.

Only tip I have is start small and add more ingredients ( and spices!) as you prefer until crockpot is nearing the top. As much as you'd like to, do NOT initially fill your crockpot to the brim. It'll expand and boil over, making a mess! Some of the above recipes would fill my crockpot twice over and mine is considered an average to large size!

Oh yeah, crockpot is a generic term, but all differ in size and cooking times. When I start my chili, if all ingredients are at room temp it only has to cook ~6hrs on low. Sometimes I start on high for 1-2hrs and then down to low the remainder. For the 1st attempt I wouldn't suggest throwing it together, going to work and expecting to eat it some 8-10hrs later like you would with some other meals done in a crockpot.

Experiment & enjoy!

On 10/1/2015 at 4:00 PM, fasteddie said:

3 cans of chili beans

i do about this same exact thing.  Comes out great and its easy.  I usually add a diced onion and a can of mushrooms to boot. (and usually i also have some sort of bulk venison sausage and add a pound of that with 2 lbs of burger) 

22 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I’ve started using the McCormick packets too, they’re the same spices I measure out and put in anyway. I also substitute a bag of frozen diced sweet potatoes for the beans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The sweet potato sounds interesting. I will have to try that