Gps for android???

firehunter48

Sorry if this may have been covered already but I have a question for all of you....

My father gave this old school Garmin GPS II and the thing doesn't work for $#!t. I can't even get it to find a damn satellite and it been on and outside for an hour.

As I firmly believe in the need to have a GPS, does anyone know of an app for android that acts like a new school Garmin or Magellan hunting GPS? Like an app that u can mark way points and the like. I'd hate to have to go spend $100+ when I can buy a $5 or $10 app for my phone

I don't know how extensive an app your looking for but I use a free app called "polaris navigator" and it works well for me. You can mark trails, waypoints, see aerial maps according to where you are located. Check it out

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Hunt App by onXmaps is pretty good.  It costs $29.99 a year, but I think that you can try it for free.  It has a lot of cool features like public and private land ownership and property boundaries, topo and aerial views,the ability to mark waypoints and also shows which WMU you are in.

the problem I've run into with polaris, Hansell and gretel, surveyit, and angroid.. or Google maps for that matter... if you lose cell service it gets kind of wacky. it will quit working or lose track of where you are and becomes unreliable. I have an etrac as well and it been pretty reliable.. even in heavy canopy. just remember extra batteries!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

We are using GPS kit. App this year. You can make a trail with weigh points and pictures and then send it to your buddy in Flirida threw email and your trail will appear in his maps. So when you send him to a stand in the dark a half mile threw the woods he actually finds it. You can also c every one in live time in your party on the map. They have a function also that the wife can c all of you home live on the computer ~ we disabled that function. 10$ so far so good

I use scoutlook & life 360 both free versions

Life 360 is nice if you hunt with someone else or a group

my group all have the life 360 & if location is on we know where everyone is. If someone gets a deer or is lost you can go right to them via the map & will show the distance they are away from you

Edited by gfdeputy2
  • Like 1

My dad was just telling me about one ,he said it will show which way your scent is being carried by monitoring wind conditions as well. I'll text him to get the name of it.

That's the scout one that does that.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Backcountry navigator.. You download caltopo maps to it at home... Then run yourbphone in airplane mode with GPS on... No need for cell service. Record tracks. Mark,title,and add a photo to waypoints.

I took an old smart phone and use this app on it only. It's like having a standalone GPS. And I can turn off my normal phone to save battery.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk