The curse of Sixty rd

jesse.james

Ok so im hunting this piece of state land for going on 5 yrs. Every year I get an opportunity at a nice buck. Every year something happens and I don't walk away with deer. Miss dee, falling pack, bad shot followed by rain. This year I was going to break it. Nice buck comes into my lane 20 yrs. Grunt it to shot. Put what looks to be a good shot. Pass through. Wait and get down. Very little blood followed by lots of blood fir 40 yards. Bright red. Then it stops. No blood to be found. Getting a sinking feeling in my stomach.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Did you bump him ? I hit a buck 2 years ago that I never retrieved during gun season. Sickening feeling ! He took the nastiest routes available/ double backing  for hours until I accidentally bumped him and took across an open field. he eventually ended up a mere 150 yards in a swamp from where it started. No shot(s) and darkness prevailed after 4-4.5 hours of tracking him.

How long did you wait after hit ?

If you truly think you had a good hit call the deer search as it's what they are there for.

• Like 1

Yeah called in my brother to help. After doing circles and coming to the conclusion that there was going to be no further blood trail to follow we started just walking in different directions. Going down paths that the deer might have taken. Needle meet haystack. Just way to many variables. We spend a good 3 hrs search and turning up zilch. At this point and time we would need to randomly stumble on it.

For what it's worth, the doe I shot Friday ran across a field through a hedgerow and took the dirt nap In The next open field. I was shocked it didn't bed In the hedgerow but it died in the open field against a small log. If the field has high grass, he may feel safe there and they can be tough to find until you almost step on him.

• Like 1

What did the arrow blood look like? Smell like?

Did you see where you hit? Blood on side of deer as it ran off? Reaction to hit?

How was blood trail? Sprayed of to one side, both, none? Clots, bubbles? Did it bed?

The arrow hit behind front shoulder a tad high. Complete pass through. Arrow had dark blood on it and dark small drops for the first 20- 25 yards then it started bleeding heavy only out of one side bright red blood. No bubbles. After another 40-50 yards it bleeding heavy out if one side it went back to a few drops of bright red blood for another 15 yards then nothing at all. When it it immediately jumped and turned 90 degrees away from me.

Edited by jesse.james
  • Like 1

If you do not see anything crossing the road, he might be in the area just before it, if its thick enough to hide him.  I would double check that area and try and pick up on the track again.  Otherwise like said before if they go through woods and brush you will see the blood on the leaves.  I would check the other side of the field and walk through the field slowly checking blood and tracks.   Good luck! 

Everytime I pheasant hunt there I have always wondered how many bowhunters were in the woods. The way they cut the fields with all those tall rows of grass, all the hedgerows and strips of trees doesnt surprise me at all the deer would head to the fields there. I would grid that field, if its down there probably a good chance a pheasant hunter or his dog may find it. Lots of human pressure on Sixty Road. Good thing is its gonna be a cold night, hit it again first light.

• Like 1

Google "bloodglow" and try and get some of that stuff. It is what cops use at crime scenes and makes "invisible" tiny blood specs glow in the dark. You mix a tablet with water or windshield wiper fluid in freezing temps, and apply it with a spray bottle. You follow the trail in the dark without a light. I bought some last year but all the deer I have struck since have dropped in their tracks or in less than 40 yards.

I can't say what it smells like because I have not opened any of the packages yet.  Hopefully I never need to, but it does give me the confidence to stay in the stand until the end of legal light.  I would always pack it in a half hour early on afternoon hunts during archery season to allow for some natural tracking light.   As far as stinking up the area, it cant be any worse than a tracking dog.  I hear it is especially effective at locating gut-shot deer.   It picks up blood spots that are way to small to see even in bright daylight.  They say rain makes it work even better.  

Edited by wolc123