Missed Bucks?

Five Seasons

I have a friend who is close with a processor in westchester...told him that he knew of at least 9 people were heavily "processed" by the law over the first weekend...what's the penalty for shooting a buck in doe only?

I have hear this too, heard a story about a friend of a friend who was caught but the guy was just ignorant of the law change

This set-up only further antagonizes the distrust in a nice buck being shot legally.

Social Media is bad enough. Add in another caveat like this and its more fuel to the fire.

so they just passed baiting in Mississippi. The first few nice bucks making the rounds down there were all instantly met with "probably shot over bait so it doesn't count".

It's sad really what these rules have done.

I have a friend who is close with a processor in westchester...told him that he knew of at least 9 people were heavily "processed" by the law over the first weekend...what's the penalty for shooting a buck in doe only?

chances are anyone knowingly breaking the law is just going to cut up the deer themselves. They're just going to catch the idiots or uninformed. Which isn't a bad thing, just saying.

Not sure. But wish it was lifetime ban.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lifetime ban? Really? For the first year it was introduced?

• Like 1

Yea why not. Hunting is a privilege. It's the hunters job to know the rules/regs. I hate that poachers and law breakers get off so easy. There's not enough deterrent to stop these clowns. If people knew they could be banned for life for certain infractions maybe they would pay more attention to the rules.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 1

NYS = the biggest poaching state in all the land.  Period.

The DEC practically encourages it with the ridiculous amount of permits handed out, "youth" gun hunts during bow season, now "Units" where you can and can't shoot deer, zero field personnel monitoring laws then,  Throw on top of that the fact that you don't even get in trouble for breaking the law......disgusting.

I'm all for a lifetime ban.  Jail time.  Hefty fines.  All of the above.  You break the law, you pay.  You are the one responsible to know the law.  Ignorance as a reason doesn't sit well with me.

chances are anyone knowingly breaking the law is just going to cut up the deer themselves. They're just going to catch the idiots or uninformed. Which isn't a bad thing, just saying.

lifetime ban? Really? For the first year it was introduced?

When they change the speed limit on the road, do you get a year to do the old speed limit? Since it is new and all?

Yea why not. Hunting is a privilege. It's the hunters job to know the rules/regs. I hate that poachers and law breakers get off so easy. There's not enough deterrent to stop these clowns. If people knew they could be banned for life for certain infractions maybe they would pay more attention to the rules.

i'm not saying to take it easy, but a lifetime ban is basically as bad as it gets. Although I bet most poachers could care less whether they have a tag or not.

i'm not saying to take it easy, but a lifetime ban is basically as bad as it gets. Although I bet most poachers could care less whether they have a tag or not.

There are probably a handful that are the worst of the worst who don't give a hoot about any laws, regs or licenses.  However, I would bet that a vast majority of poached deer are taken by "legitimate" hunters who buy a license to be less conspicuous.  I think the fear of never being able to legitimately hunt again would discourage A LOT of people from pulling that trigger a day early, an hour late, a mile in the wong direction, etc.

It would at least be a start!  What we have now is a joke.

I honestly.... think they will turn a blind eye in  region 8 for this..... like they do the.... out of hours ...wifes tags ect..ect infractions that occur here...They just want dead deer.

Some things will never change...really look at all the past areas that show arrests...how often do you see poaching stings or a lot of arrests occuring in region 8 for Deer season? Perhaps in the southern most regions  but not so much in the finger lakes area

I haven't even attempted to hunt yet. I'm getting married on Saturday so I haven't had a whole lot of free time the past few weeks between that and work. I just keep telling myself it's good that I couldn't hunt because I wouldn't have been able to shoot a buck anyway.

• Like 4

so they just passed baiting in Mississippi. The first few nice bucks making the rounds down there were all instantly met with "probably shot over bait so it doesn't count".

It's sad really what these rules have done.

Hang on, they have allowed bait down there for a while, all they did was modify the baiting law. Before, the bait had to be 100 yards from the hunter and obscured from vision. Now it has to be 100 yards away, but can be in view.

Anyone that would say it doesnt count because it was shot over bait should just shut their trap. Its legal, it counts. Just like the guys up here that say food plots are the same as baiting. Its legal, end of story.

NYS = the biggest poaching state in all the land.  Period.

The DEC practically encourages it with the ridiculous amount of permits handed out, "youth" gun hunts during bow season, now "Units" where you can and can't shoot deer, zero field personnel monitoring laws then,  Throw on top of that the fact that you don't even get in trouble for breaking the law......disgusting.

I'm all for a lifetime ban.  Jail time.  Hefty fines.  All of the above.  You break the law, you pay.  You are the one responsible to know the law.  Ignorance as a reason doesn't sit well with me.

Plenty of other states have youth seasons, different areas that have different bag limits, etc, and doe permits. None of that encourages poaching.

Maybe you should move to the middle east, where they cut your hand off for stealing a candy bar. Im all for making fines and penalties a bit more stiff, but the punishment should fit the crime.

• Like 1

Hang on, they have allowed bait down there for a while, all they did was modify the baiting law. Before, the bait had to be 100 yards from the hunter and obscured from vision. Now it has to be 100 yards away, but can be in view.

Anyone that would say it doesnt count because it was shot over bait should just shut their trap. Its legal, it counts. Just like the guys up here that say food plots are the same as baiting. Its legal, end of story.

point is that hunters are pretty traditional and the enforcement of the baiting laws are nearly impossible. So change is always met with cynicism.

Problem is lack of field personal to before laws, I know many.hunter that go whole life with out ever seeing a game warden. More presence would be a detergent as well as an aid as you could ask them a question directly and not get lost in the shuffle

• Like 2

I saw a rich guy buying 4 50 pound bags of corn at country max don't know what for lol

I bought apples from beak and skiff. So what? Am I a poacher because I bought something a deer would eat? Too much assumption, everyone is so critical of everything someone else does without knowing any facts.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Plenty of other states have youth seasons, different areas that have different bag limits, etc, and doe permits. None of that encourages poaching.

Maybe you should move to the middle east, where they cut your hand off for stealing a candy bar. Im all for making fines and penalties a bit more stiff, but the punishment should fit the crime.

And other states ACTUALLY enforce the laws.  Some states poaching is a felony offense punishable by serious jail time.  If you read the entire post and not just pulled a sentence out of it, I said coupled with a lack of enforcement it encourages poaching.  What stops "dad" from shooting a buck with his kid next to him for the "youth season" with no enforcement?  The answer is the actual enforement of the law and knowing it will be enforced.

And way to equate NY's lack of enforcement on Poaching with the Middle East.  Are you not ending the life of an animal? This isn't a small offense. You equate that to stealing a candy bar. Come on man.  We are not talking about accidently shooting at 450' verse 500' from a dwelling.  It goes without saying that it should be done legally and humanely!

issuing a lot of permits encourages poaching? I would think it would be opposite. Easy to get a tag so use it? no?

Not by the definition of our DEC.  I know that sentence sounds counter intuitive, but it is a reality.

People like me, who get to shoot 2 bucks basically (bow and gun) its not hard to track.  2 deer, 2 tags, 2 phone calls.  Done.  If a DEC official ever wanted to check my freezer, or garage, or trophy room, it would be very easy to count and verify.

On the flip side, I run into people who have nuisence permits, dmp tags, their family have tags that they "share," etc.  What happens, is people go out and shoot as many deer as they want.  I have an acquintance who, between him and his 2 sons, shoot probably 10 deer every year.  I promise you they don't have 10 tags, maybe more like 6 or 7 total between them.  They shoot so many deer, half of them are cut up in the freezer before they are ever tagged.  Sure, they use their 6 tags and make it look legal and nobody knows the difference.  There is no way in hell you could ever really tell if they shot 7 or 8 or 9.  They know it and the DEC knows it.

This is rampant in NYS.

Problem is lack of field personal to before laws, I know many.hunter that go whole life with out ever seeing a game warden. More presence would be a detergent as well as an aid as you could ask them a question directly and not get lost in the shuffle

Agreed, thats why I put in my rant that exact sentence.  It isn't that simple though.  They could hire 1,000 more officials, but they don't WANT to enforce the regs.  Poaching in NYS is not that big of a deal (clearly).  They need an actual program to stop it, they have to WANT to stop it and THEN they need to hire the people to enforce it.  This is all fantasy land.

I have not, in my 30+ years of being in a tree stand, ever run into a game warden.  I have not once ever been stopped at any check point, I have not once ever been visited at a taxidermist or butcher shop.  Not in 30 years.  Nobody in my family or friend circle I hunt with has ever either.  That is a testatment to the importance they put on hunting legally in NYS.

And other states ACTUALLY enforce the laws.  Some states poaching is a felony offense punishable by serious jail time.  If you read the entire post and not just pulled a sentence out of it, I said coupled with a lack of enforcement it encourages poaching.  What stops "dad" from shooting a buck with his kid next to him for the "youth season" with no enforcement?  The answer is the actual enforement of the law and knowing it will be enforced.

And way to equate NY's lack of enforcement on Poaching with the Middle East.  Are you not ending the life of an animal? This isn't a small offense. You equate that to stealing a candy bar. Come on man.  We are not talking about accidently shooting at 450' verse 500' from a dwelling.  It goes without saying that it should be done legally and humanely!

Actually i quoted the entire post.

Do you think any state that has a mentored youth season has any way of verifying who pulled the trigger? Of course not. NY isnt alone on the difficulties of enforcing laws. Dont fool yourself. I would say that the vast majority of regulation infractions in hunting, no mater what state they are committed in, are not discovered by law enforcement.

Go back and read what I said, I didnt compare NY to the middle east. I was talking about the punishment fitting the crime.

Honestly, I dont think poaching is the worst crime in the world, and in the grand scheme of things, killing a game animal is pretty insignificant. Do I think poaching is right? No.