Speaking of youth hunt.....

growalot

Isn't it this weekend? Is this Columbas day weekend coming up? now how many days do they have to hunt? 3-4?..ya I know it's in the regs...but who is taking a kid out and what do you think will happen in these no buck areas since the kids can shoot one if they want?

Edited by growalot

My nephew and his dad hunted out of my tower blind out back last year and he missed a doe. He did connect out of that same stand on opening day on a doe though, his first. I told him he has the stand one more year, this year, then my son will be old enough and it will be his turn. He should have a good chance at his first buck since I have seen quite a few on camera there. I'll be up in A-Bay on the last family vacation for the year so they got the place to themselves.

• Like 4

Posted Today, 10:13 AM

Yes, its this weekend. Saturday through Monday, and the no buck thing doesnt apply for the youth hunters. Im sure youre gonna hear all kinds of fantasies about how every mentor out there will really be out for shooting a buck and saying the youth did it. lol. Haters gotta hate

Gosh.... I hope that wasn't directed at me...I was just getting a conversation going and said youth can shoot buck in my original post

I am all set with two young ladies this weekend. One has to wait until the regular season, but had such a good time last year that she is coming to help out her partner in crime. The plan going in is to hold out for a buck, and honestly, it should not be a problem. All bucks are open for killing, not just scrubs. They have both seen with their own eyes, a few nice deer on this land, so both have high hopes.

I look forward to this weekend more than I do my own hunting. There is no pressure, just plain excitement, and lots of fun with these two youngsters. They will put in the work getting a deer back to the road too.

I can say that a .270 is not too much gun for either of these girls. Together, they probably only weigh 240, so there is not much size or muscle to help them out. Both made clean, one shot kills last year, with no complaints of recoil. Both girls had experience shooting beforehand, and are all practiced up again.

• Like 1

Mentors can't hunt, or carry a gun at all. Only the youth.

. My son is 14 he is using his gun....you are telling me I can't hunt with my bow while he is hunting. For example he be in ground blind and I will be in a tree stand Couple hundred yards away.

. My son is 14 he is using his gun....you are telling me I can't hunt with my bow while he is hunting. For example he be in ground blind and I will be in a tree stand Couple hundred yards away.

pretty sure he has to be under DIRECT supervision....might want to check