Remington Core-lokt .270 misfires anyone ?

Took my nephew shooting with his Savage Axis .270 ,  2 in a row  out of 22 rounds failed to fire. Both primers were struck as deeply on the misfires as the the fired rounds were.The first misfire he tried a second time with the same result. The ammo was purchased last year. Is this an average failure rate for mass produced rifle ammo or should Core-lokt be avoided ?  My nephew is planning on hunting with his Savage and obviously does not want to risk a misfire. Anyone else have the same issue with Core-Lokt ? How about other brands ?

Haven't been shooting my 375hh much, but have a hunt in mind and I stumbled across a box of Remington "Premier" with Swift A-frames on line. One of my favorite bullets and much cheaper than I could buy components.

Figured I'd plink off the box sighting in and maybe hunt with open sights this fall....

How about 3 of 8 not going off?

IMG_0550_zpso2svkagz.jpg

Good thing there wasn't a Cape Buffalo on the other end of the barrel. LOL

I'm just going to pull the rest and use for components.....re sighted with some cheapo Prvi I had laying around for now and will go back to handloads.

This fits;

The most terrifying sound in nature is not the roar of a charging lion, nor the

whistle of a descending bomb; rather it is a click when you expect a bang. Peter Capstick

• Like 2

3 out of 8 is just wrong. Primer issues at Remington ?

No idea yet, see if powder burns when I pull the rest apart.

Bought these private on line; but asked seller about them after this issue and he bought them new a few years ago, never let them cook in a vehicle etc.....

Offered my money back, and I told him not to worry about it.

Having a dud sure does tell if you have a flinch though; settling in and expecting a big bang and getting nothing was interesting.

Lifted the bolt handle and dropped the firing pin twice on those 3 before ejecting them.

Winchester 130 grain. Old been around, proven, accurate and still fairly cheap.

Use them they shoot very well out of anything including my 270. I stick with one kind of ammo for a bunch of reasons and i've never in my life had any winchester round no matter the caliber misfire.

Be careful with .270 Winchester. Here are some out of two boxes that I bought the day I bought my rifle. This is some of the absolute worst quality bullets I have ever purchased from any manufacturer. After several weeks of negotiating and waiting, I finally got credit exactly for the cost of the bullets with no reimbursement for shipping, or grief and aggravation.

This wasn't a problem with misfires ..... some of these wouldn't even chamber.

post-11-0-08682600-1444297636_thumb.jpg

post-11-0-59998500-1444297639_thumb.jpg

post-11-0-08292400-1444297642_thumb.jpg

post-11-0-54371200-1444297644_thumb.jpg

post-11-0-57986700-1444297646_thumb.jpg

So, none of these manufacturers are immune from quality problems. Hand loading is the only way to guarantee quality.

• Like 1

Never had an issue with my .270 or .243 shooting cor-lokts I also never shoot ammo older than 1 year old on game. I reload almost exclusively now and label all boxes as to when they were reloaded or bought.  I always use my oldest ammo up first. Range ammo is the older stuff just to plink or sight in then 1 shot with new/reloads to make sure they hit the same. 

I shoot a Tikka T3 (.270) and Remington 770 (.243). The 770 was half the cost of theTikka not including the glass and shoots just as good. The Cor-lokts gave me my tightest group out of the .270 but the superformance shot best out of the .243.  My reloads for the .270 are noslers with superformance powder 

.270 was all 130gr.

.243 was all 90gr.

• Like 1

I had some 30/30 Remington Cor-lokts Misfire,with this years ammo. I'm not a Remington Ammo fan, missed a big buck years back same thing but Remington 12ga slugs. If I was you sight in the 270 with another brand. JMO

Edited by Huntscreek
  • Like 1

I have never had a misfire with Remington Core-Lokt, but I have heard of it being an issue. My Remington 700 no longer likes Core-Lokt. Still can't figure it out. Only thing I can think of is that they changed something in their recipe.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I just had the same experience with my Axis .308 and Core-Lokt rounds.  I bought the gun after hunting season last year and put a box of Core-lokt through it then with no issues.  I've been using Core-lokt exclusively in all of my rifles for years and never had a single misfire.  Two days ago I took it to the range and fired 30 more rounds with zero problems, that makes 50/50.  Yesterday i had an easy shot on a nice buck, pulled the trigger and "Click".  Primer was dented, but no shot.  I took it to the range today and fired the rest of the 10 rounds in the box.  I had 2 more misfires.  That's three bad rounds out of 20 from that box.  The range only had Hornady in 308, so I bought a box and fired 20/20.   it's either a single bad batch of Core-lokt, or my axis just doesn't like them.  Either way, I'm not interested in spending a bunch of money to figure out the issue.  Looks like I'll switch up brands.

I've hunted with my Rem BDL-270 for almost 20 years.  Shot Cor-Lokt through it when I first got it and 2 casings got stuck in the gun after firing them.  Called Remington to replace the gun, which they did to their credit.  Switched to Winchester ammo and have never had a problem with misfires or accuracy.  I won't touch Remington ammo, but I love my .270.    

20 hours ago, drodge said:

I just had the same experience with my Axis .308 and Core-Lokt rounds.  I bought the gun after hunting season last year and put a box of Core-lokt through it then with no issues.  I've been using Core-lokt exclusively in all of my rifles for years and never had a single misfire.  Two days ago I took it to the range and fired 30 more rounds with zero problems, that makes 50/50.  Yesterday i had an easy shot on a nice buck, pulled the trigger and "Click".  Primer was dented, but no shot.  I took it to the range today and fired the rest of the 10 rounds in the box.  I had 2 more misfires.  That's three bad rounds out of 20 from that box.  The range only had Hornady in 308, so I bought a box and fired 20/20.   it's either a single bad batch of Core-lokt, or my axis just doesn't like them.  Either way, I'm not interested in spending a bunch of money to figure out the issue.  Looks like I'll switch up brands.

My axis .308 loves hornadsy interlock 150 grainers. Sub one inch at 100 when I’m on my game.