Your "MUST HAVE (s)" in the woods

firehunter48

Just curious as to what everyone's "must have" piece of equipment is when your in the woods? And I'm speaking of the non obvious like ur gun/bow, ammo, license and tags....stuff like that

Is it a favorite piece of clothing that keeps u warm? Your gand dad's knife he gave u? Is it your lucky socks? Your camera? Stuff like that. ....I figure if nothing else this is good stand reading material and maybe, just make it'll help someone remember that ONE thing when they are packing to go to camp.

It's probably gonna be good for a laugh or two as well

I wrap by gutting knife in a red handkerchief and put it in my right front pocket of whatever pants I am wearing. Both items were my late Grandfathers. The knife has gutted deer since the 1940s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 7

I like to wrap some extra toilet paper in toilet paper……. just incase.

Man I must be wierd....I'm a die hard outdoorsman and will walk my happy (but uncomfortable ) butt to the nearest porcelain for that purpose.....even when deep in adks....can't do it in woods

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Atomic Fireballs.

I can't believe guys still use TP in the woods. I stopped 25 years ago when our first child was born and I discovered baby wipes. Much better at the task at hand and you can clean your hands .......

• Like 5

Atomic Fireballs.

I can't believe guys still use TP in the woods. I stopped 25 years ago when our first child was born and I discovered baby wipes. Much better at the task at hand and you can clean your hands .......

TP as the brush hog and baby wipes as the finish mower.

• Like 8

I like to carry a small Bible in my pack. One time it even got me one of the largest-racked bucks of my life. I was passing some quite time, on the late afternoon of opening day, high up in my tree-stand reading it (Unfortunately, I cant remember what chapter and verse). With about 5 minutes of legal shooting light left, it slipped from my hands and fell.

I broke a cardinal safety rule then, as I carefully climbed down from the stand with my loaded shotgun in my right hand. Normally I always unload first, by the book, but there was still 5 minutes to go. When I got to the ground in a little patch of brush, in the middle of the big woods, I reached for the Bible. Just then a flock of turkeys landed right on my position. I looked at my watch and there was still 2 minutes left. Then I looked up and saw the big rack, head, and neck of the buck about 10 yards away. Quickly I moved the crosshairs to the base of his neck, pulled the trigger and put him down on the spot with about a minute to go.

Were it not for me dropping that Bible when I did, his turkey pawns would have spotted me, in my blaze-orange camo, up in that tree from a mile away. Down in the brush below, his line of turkeys was breached and he got the surprise of his life, effectively ending it. Some may call that "just a coincidence" That's just because they don't know no better.

• Like 1

I like to carry a small Bible in my pack. One time it even got me one of the largest-racked bucks of my life. I was passing some quite time, on the late afternoon of opening day, high up in my tree-stand reading it (Unfortunately, I cant remember what chapter and verse). With about 5 minutes of legal shooting light left, it slipped from my hands and fell.

I broke a cardinal safety rule then, as I carefully climbed down from the stand with my loaded shotgun in my right hand. Normally I always unload first, by the book, but there was still 5 minutes to go. When I got to the ground in a little patch of brush, in the middle of the big woods, I reached for the Bible. Just then a flock of turkeys landed right on my position. I looked at my watch and there was still 2 minutes left. Then I looked up and saw the big rack, head, and neck of the buck about 10 yards away. Quickly I moved the crosshairs to the base of his neck, pulled the trigger and put him down on the spot with about a minute to go.

Were it not for me dropping that Bible when I did, his turkey pawns would have spotted me, in my blaze-orange camo, up in that tree from a mile away. Down in the brush below, his line of turkeys was breached and he got the surprise of his life, effectively ending it. Some may call that "just a coincidence" That's just because they don't know no better.

That's actually a great suggestion. Sometimes I run out of TP, the bible would be great to have around in a pinch

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

• Like 3

I have a back pack that has the following in it: 

toilet paper, in a ziploc

binoculars

knives

flashlight/ head lamp

Bow holders, gun hook. 

safety strap and rope

hand warmers

GPS/ Compass - ALWAYS

phone (s)

radio

and assorted other crap depending on where I'm going, like water, snacks, lunch, thermos, etc.