Starting out

Awoodchuck

So here's my first of many questions...

What is the best method of hunting for a newbie?  

• Ground blind
  • tree stand
  • stalking
  • or none of the above and I'm going about this all wrong.

I went out for the first time this morning at Stewart state forest.  It wasn't my first or second choice but it's convenient to where I live and the other locations I found out needed a permit on top of getting my license and I just wanted to get out there.  

Got there around 5:45, gathered my stuff and started walking in on one of the main trails.  I'd never been there before, obviously never scouted the place and only had the map the website supplied.  About a 1/2 mile in I came to a large Oak tree with some nails tapped in, like a ladder, climbed up and waited for sunrise.  (beautiful morning by the way)  I spent most of my day watching squirrels chase each other and having a staring contest with a barred owl.  With the exception of some bird hunters tromping through it was a quiet day. (no deer sittings)

Thank you in advance

Sean

Edited by Awoodchuck

So here's my first of many questions...

What is the best method of hunting for a newbie?

• Ground blind
  • tree stand
  • stalking
  • or none of the above and I'm going about this all wrong.
I went out for the first time this morning at Stewart state forest. It wasn't my first or second choice but it's convenient to where I live and the other locations I found out needed a permit on top of getting my license and I just wanted to get out there.

Got there around 5:45, gathered my stuff and started walking in on one of the main trails. I'd never been there before, obviously never scouted the place and only had the map the website supplied. About a 1/2 mile in I came to a large Oak tree with some nails tapped in, like a ladder, climbed up and waited for sunrise. (beautiful morning by the way) I spent most of my day watching squirrels chase each other and having a staring contest with a barred owl. With the exception of some bird hunters tromping through it was a quiet day. (no deer sittings)

Thank you in advance

Sean

I believe you violated several rules in Stewart. Did you read the rules before entering the property?

When I started out, we had the most action just hiking/stalking around. Once you get to pattern them out a bit, you'll know where to sit and plan an ambush.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

I believe you violated several rules in Stewart. Did you read the rules before entering the property?

When I started out, we had the most action just hiking/stalking around. Once you get to pattern them out a bit, you'll know where to sit and plan an ambush.

Yes I read the pamphlet and I called The Region 3 DEC office to ask additional questions.  If your talking about the Oak tree that I climbed up.  The nails were already there and it wasn't a stand, just a way to get into the tree.

Edited by Awoodchuck

Yes I read the pamphlet and I called The Region 3 DEC office to ask additional questions. If your talking about the Oak tree that I climbed up. The nails were already there and it wasn't a stand, just a way to get into the tree.

So you know about the parking situation and rules as to how to hunt relative to where you park?

Climbing on old nails that someone else made may not be a violation, but the DEC and rangers may see it differently when they spot you on top a tree that has said nails. This is besides the safety issues around these types of steps.

Just trying to keep you out of trouble. Stewart is heavily patrolled.

First starting out is hard especially if you do not have a mentor.  I would start by staking the area.  Cover some ground, nothing crazy but a 3 mile loop for the day is about right.  This is slow hunting where you go for 5-20 ft up to a few hundred yards stop and post, look for sign, trails, scat, food sources like oaks are great.  After you find some deer you can figure out an ambush spot or set up in a ground blind or tree stand.  Stalking is the hardest way to hunt, after that comes ground blind then tree stand.  If you can find a good spot tree stands are best due to keeping your scent above your prey.  

If you find what looks like a good spot try to get to that spot before sunrise and see if you have deer come through, if not try late day till dark and make sure your flashlights are good and ready.  GPS compass and maps are a must for this.  (Nothing looks the same at night in pitch black!)  Take off your release once it is dark, DEC considers anyone with a release loaded, or so I was told by an officer.  Oaks, beechnuts and other food sources are great to key in on.  Thick cover is a deer's best friend do not ignore it.  Distress calls are great to jump them out and see where they bed. 

Get a doe can and a grunt tube!  My typical use of blind calling is hit the can 2-3 times followed a few minutes later by a grunt, only one.  (No grunt until rut is closer Oct 26 or later.)  It gives the impression of a deer group and seems to draw them in as long as you do not over use the calls.  Sometimes doe are tired of being chased or do not want to hang with bucks so if your after doe don't use the grunt use the doe can.   (They can pinpoint your spot so be ready at a moments notice!) 

I did not see any regulations about Stewart before October 1st, it is open to the public during bow and muzzleloader.  Here is the contact information if you want to ask the DEC. 

NYSDEC Region 3
21 South Putt Corners Rd, New Paltz, NY 12561-1620
(845) 256-3000
Forest Rangers: (845) 256-3026
Wildlife: 256-3098
Lands and Forests: 256-3076
Law Enforcement: 256-3013

Hope some of this helps, sure a few other member might have other ideas.  Take what is useful and disregard the rest.  Good luck!!!

I didn't read to see if anyone else responded, but you hafta be nuts to climb a tree that has nails sticking out of it for steps, regardless of whether or not legal...anyone of them could have given way without notice, and I'll assume you had no harness on while in the tree as well........that aside, I've always been a portable treestand guy, after you've done some scouting and have found a promising area, set up, you can always adjust your spot based on sightings.

So you know about the parking situation and rules as to how to hunt relative to where you park?

Climbing on old nails that someone else made may not be a violation, but the DEC and rangers may see it differently when they spot you on top a tree that has said nails. This is besides the safety issues around these types of steps.

Just trying to keep you out of trouble. Stewart is heavily patrolled.

I know about the one car per parking locations marked on the map.  When I called the Region 3 DEC about hunting in a certain zone correlating to that parking spot they said that there was none.  As for the nails in the tree, that makes a lot sense.  I could see how that could be misconstrued to an ECO.  Thank you for looking out.

I know about the one car per parking locations marked on the map. When I called the Region 3 DEC about hunting in a certain zone correlating to that parking spot they said that there was none. As for the nails in the tree, that makes a lot sense. I could see how that could be misconstrued to an ECO. Thank you for looking out.

They said there were none because Stewart is a special property that is outside the norm. Stewart is mostly managed by the forest rangers and occasionally you'll see a DEC officer. If you read into the rules for Stewart, you'll soon find that you can easily be written up for things you wouldn't normally expect.

Good luck out there!