Knock, knock. "Who's there?"

CuseHunter

Well all jokes aside, I seem to have hit a wall. Since moving to the WNY area, I'm stuck in Brockport surrounded by country everywhere but still am coming up empty handed. Me and a friend went door to door two days in a row and knocked on over 20 doors. Either people already had hunters on their land or didn't allow hunting there. Looks like I'm going to have to suck it up and get a new climber and hunt the Bergen swamp this year while I'm at school.

Anyone have advice on getting permission? I tried in September at some farms and went last week to tons of houses with no luck. Seems like you have to know people personally to get permission. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I wish I was back in Syracuse.

Getting permission anywhere has become tough. Brockport is so close to Rochester that it's a popular destination. And when you're looking for permission for you AND a friend, it's even harder. You might get an invite from somebody you know, but it's likely to be restricted to just you. Guys get prickly about "their" deer.

There's a variety of public lands in the area, some where bow hunting is allowed but not guns. Your best bet is going to be to focus on public access. If you do get permission from a farmer, chances are he's given permission to a bunch of people and you're better off on public land anyway. Check out aerials and get away from the crowds. 

And instead of asking to hunt, explain that you're a student and that you're looking to trade work for hunting privileges. That seems to get more likes...

Finally, I heard something about SUNY Brockport owning some land that's limited to students and by permit only. Not sure whether that's true or not. But when I went to Binghamton, they had a similar deal and I had some success that way.

Good luck

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll go walk around the swamp this weekend and give it some scouting. Next time I do agree it would be easier to get permission alone and will see if that makes a difference. I had good luck back home when I went alone. I actually planned on hitting letchworth at some point this season too. I didn't apply for the special permit for gun and I assume that fills up probably the first couple days after registration opens.

Isn't their a place in Darien to hunt? I thought I read something on it last year...Is that far from him?

Darien Lake State park. And good god does it get pounded. There will be 30+ vehicles parked there on Rte 77 and Rte 20 parking lots opening morning. and for the amount of acreage that's a lot of guys . Special permit needed I'm pretty sure. I wouldn't feel safe hunting out there with all those yahoos.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll go walk around the swamp this weekend and give it some scouting. Next time I do agree it would be easier to get permission alone and will see if that makes a difference. I had good luck back home when I went alone. I actually planned on hitting letchworth at some point this season too. I didn't apply for the special permit for gun and I assume that fills up probably the first couple days after registration opens.

For Bow and Muzzy its a self permit. Go on line,print it out and sign it. Carry with you while hunting. Thats it.

We rent a cabin every year for the guys that dont make the lottery. We stay at our camp most years and not even use the cabin. I believe we have room right now for 4 more hunters to get on under the cabin if you and your buddy needed an opening weekend hunt.

Then your on for the rest of the season!

• Like 3

For Bow and Muzzy its a self permit. Go on line,print it out and sign it. Carry with you while hunting. Thats it.

We rent a cabin every year for the guys that dont make the lottery. We stay at our camp most years and not even use the cabin. I believe we have room right now for 4 more hunters to get on under the cabin if you and your buddy needed an opening weekend hunt.

Then your on for the rest of the season!

I'll let you know with the offer! I planned on going to my hunting camp over near cortland for opening. I appreciate the offer!

there is nothing illegal or really even wrong with scouting or small game hunting public land during open deer season. But it is kind of a dick move to other hunters.

/flame suit on

i would contact Phade though PM  he has some excellent " unmanaged ground" he is a nice guy and hes right in your area. im sure he could spare a stand for you. hes an establish member with plenty of knowledge 

http://huntingny.com/forums/topic/29462-which-part-of-ny-produces-the-biggest-deer/page-4 

Edited by Odorless

i would contact Phade though PM  he has some excellent " unmanaged ground" he is a nice guy and hes right in your area. im sure he could spare a stand for you. hes an establish member with plenty of knowledge 

Look at you all ruffled up.

Why don't you bark up someone else's tree?

Not familiar with the area, but maybe you can try asking one of the local ECO's? At least they would know that you aren't some guy whos just looking to trespass.

I've actually called them. They recommended braddocks bay. Nothing else really around here unfortunately.

I guess I can't be picky but in my situation as a double major in biology and healthcare administration I have virtually no spare time apart from studying and school work. I was trying to find something in a close proximity of Brockport so I have a place to go before/after classes or on the weekend before studying. Maybe I'll get lucky with a landowner or strike up conversation with someone in town. *fingers crossed*

Look at you all ruffled up.

Why don't you bark up someone else's tree?

haha or bark up someone else's tree *stand.

But in all honesty, I'm not looking to hunt other people's properties. This is a hunting forums where we all have a common interest (hunting) I wouldn't want to step on anyone's toes.

I was just posting out of I guess frustration and seeking advice from you older, more experienced folks. It seems getting permission now a days being new to an area is really hard (duh).

• Like 1