So I wonder how that 2 week kill only doe is working out

swank68

For all those afraid of contaminating a buck area what do you suppose happens when you check your cams?

I haven't used a camera in the last two years. But when I did the location of the cameras was not in the same locations of where my stands were. I didn't have to worry about getting a picture at daylight like I have to when getting a shot while hunting. My cameras were to inventory what was in the area, not pinpoint when they walked by a stand. If I wanted to put out cameras again the new cellular ones also take this out of the equation and allow you to get in closer on the deer without disturbing them.

For all those afraid of contaminating a buck area what do you suppose happens when you check your cams?

I have my cams located where equipment activity is normal, and I drive up to them with my ATV, swap the card, format the new one and switch the camera on. It is a very short intrusion that the deer are used to. Many times Ill get pics or video of deer walking through minutes or hours after I have been there. Its completely different than sitting in a stand for hours and getting winded by the deer.

• Like 4

Responding to the " this has already been done before comment. " Really? Has a large majority of hunters actually felt the repercussions of not applying for a DMP permit? There are two alternatives, don't hunt until the antler less only period has expired. This year it was 15 days, next year it could be 3 weeks eventually it could be the entire bow season depending on how out of whack the buck to doe ratio is in a specific DMP and estimated carrying capacity for the DMP

Or the hunters could join in the process of getting their specific DMP buck/ doe ratio in line with the carrying capacity of that DMP and again be able to partake in the the full hunting seasons without the NEGATIVE restriction of Anterless only..

It would be extremely ignorant of hunters not to learn from this experience this year, with reference to Anterless only. Yes there are many ways to address the problem in a POSITIVE manner, doe only gun week at end of season. Or extend the bow only hunting season in the effected dmp's to January15 th. It's a constant practice in Ohio ( season goes until early February and starts late September. In fact believe NY offers special hunting season in over populated areas. Seems the southern area between Seneca and Cayuga lake had a late season archery the last year or two. There is a working solution available, just have to find it, might have to be by trial and error, But the goal should be to avoid implementing asinine restrictions on the people that pay their salaries. Or maybe they should just make the restriction of Anterless only STATEWIDE. Let the whole community of NY hunters get a first hand experience of being mandated to pass every buck you see for the First 15,21,28,35, 42 days of the season.

Responding to the " this has already been done before comment. " Really? Has a large majority of hunters actually felt the repercussions of not applying for a DMP permit? There are two alternatives, don't hunt until the antler less only period has expired. This year it was 15 days, next year it could be 3 weeks eventually it could be the entire bow season depending on how out of whack the buck to doe ratio is in a specific DMP and estimated carrying capacity for the DMP

Or the hunters could join in the process of getting their specific DMP buck/ doe ratio in line with the carrying capacity of that DMP and again be able to partake in the the full hunting seasons without the NEGATIVE restriction of Anterless only..

It would be extremely ignorant of hunters not to learn from this experience this year, with reference to Anterless only. Yes there are many ways to address the problem in a POSITIVE manner, doe only gun week at end of season. Or extend the bow only hunting season in the effected dmp's to January15 th. It's a constant practice in Ohio ( season goes until early February and starts late September. In fact believe NY offers special hunting season in over populated areas. Seems the southern area between Seneca and Cayuga lake had a late season archery the last year or two. There is a working solution available, just have to find it, might have to be by trial and error, But the goal should be to avoid implementing asinine restrictions on the people that pay their salaries. Or maybe they should just make the restriction of Anterless only STATEWIDE. Let the whole community of NY hunters get a first hand experience of being mandated to pass every buck you see for the First 15,21,28,35, 42 days of the season.

Yes, it has been. DEC put out tons of DMPs in these zones for years, and they still couldnt get the deer killed that they wanted. The problem does not lie with overall DMP allocation numbers.

Next year it will be 2 weeks, just like this year. DEC has already made it clear that the current program is a 2 year trial. After that, if they are not satisfied with the results, the areas that are now antlerless only for the first 2 weeks will get an early ML season. That part they havent stated specifically, but its clear as day to anyone who has really looked into what is going on, and listened to everything the DEC has to say.

Antlerless only statewide is not an option.

again, do you have any experience in the areas that are impacted by this?

• Like 1

A big problem is the overall decline in hunter numbers over the past couple of decades, combined with the increase in suburban and exurban deer 'sanctuaries'.

Part of this also has to do with rural landowners, whether hunters or non-hunters, who increasingly refuse to allow hunting on their land.

I don't have an answer, but over-complicating the rules and regulations certainly doesn't help the situation.

• Like 5

A big problem is the overall decline in hunter numbers over the past couple of decades, combined with the increase in suburban and exurban deer 'sanctuaries'.

Part of this also has to do with rural landowners, whether hunters or non-hunters, who increasingly refuse to allow hunting on their land.

I don't have an answer, but over-complicating the rules and regulations certainly doesn't help the situation.

wrong. overall numbers are down, but bowhunters have increased every year for as long as I can remember. That's why this is such a stupid ass rule. You're punishing the one group that is growing.

The land access is absolutely the problem. Most deer infestations aren't in giant tracks of public land, they're in small parks around the burbs and people are sick of their shrubs being eaten, but nobody can hunt and kill the deer who are doing it.

• Like 1

Well that made no sense...if they are hunters they are "allowing" hunting on their lands... Just no to every Tom ,Dick, and Harry that doesn't "like" state land. and there are a lot of non hunter doing the same...Thats the Joy of paying exorbitant land taxes...we get to choose who and how many.....assumptions :rolleyes:

• Like 1

wrong. overall numbers are down, but bowhunters have increased every year for as long as I can remember. That's why this is such a stupid ass rule. You're punishing the one group that is growing.

The land access is absolutely the problem. Most deer infestations aren't in giant tracks of public land, they're in small parks around the burbs and people are sick of their shrubs being eaten, but nobody can hunt and kill the deer who are doing it.

You just told him he was wrong, and then immediately verified his statement. :rofl:

• Like 2

I doubt they can ever fix the access problem....they can make all the changes they want to the season and in the big picture those with the land access will make it work and other than being inconvenienced as to when they can harvest certain animals they probably aren't going to make huge increases in how many they harvest.......anyone with land at their disposal will just sit it out and wait for their time and in the end there will be no affect on the animals patterns and they will be there for the taking when that person decides to hunt.

I know people in these affected areas and as many on here they are not thrilled with this rule but guess what... They aren't sitting around whining about it on a keyboard. They are out there hunting because that's what they love to do. If some people on this forum put as much effort into hunting as they do arguing about things that aren't going to be "solved" on a public forum they'd be deadly in the woods... Debates are fun, but at the end of the day I wait all year to sit in a tree with my bow and I wouldn't let this rule stop me from doing just that. If you truly are a "trophy hunter" then maybe staying out of the woods is a valid point, but for the vast majority I say, "Just get out there and hunt." That's MY opinion...

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

I know people in these affected areas and as many on here they are not thrilled with this rule but guess what... They aren't sitting around whining about it on a keyboard. They are out there hunting because that's what they love to do. If some people on this forum put as much effort into hunting as they do arguing about things that aren't going to be "solved" on a public forum they'd be deadly in the woods... Debates are fun, but at the end of the day I wait all year to sit in a tree with my bow and I wouldn't let this rule stop me from doing just that. If you truly are a "trophy hunter" then maybe staying out of the woods is a valid point, but for the vast majority I say, "Just get out there and hunt." That's MY opinion...

Holy assumptions

The majority of the guys I see complaining on this forum about this program, are guys that kill deer consistently.

Im no trophy hunter, I know Culver isnt, along with a bunch of the others. It has nothing to do with trophy hunting. Go back and read the thread.

• Like 1

Holy assumptions

The majority of the guys I see complaining on this forum about this program, are guys that kill deer consistently.

Im no trophy hunter, I know Culver isnt, along with a bunch of the others. It has nothing to do with trophy hunting. Go back and read the thread.

I never accused anyone in particular of being a trophy hunter. But to the guys not hunting at all because they might see a deer they can't shoot is ridiculous, to ME. I still hunt after I've filled my buck tag and there is a possibility I'll see an even better buck, that's the chance you take. I never once agreed with this rule, I don't think its right either. But to the guys that say they aren't setting foot in the woods because of it I believe are foolish...

I never accused anyone in particular of being a trophy hunter. But to the guys not hunting at all because they might see a deer they can't shoot is ridiculous, to ME. I still hunt after I've filled my buck tag and there is a possibility I'll see an even better buck, that's the chance you take. I never once agreed with this rule, I don't think its right either. But to the guys that say they aren't setting foot in the woods because of it I believe are foolish...

I would guess that depends on whether or not you have a large parcel of land locked up, leaving them be for two weeks probably will not affect the overall outcome of that persons season......personally I would hunt either way, but totally understand the reasoning of some for not hunting.

Actually you did....

"If you truly are a "trophy hunter" then maybe staying out of the woods is a valid point," your words.

You also made the assumption that Im incapable of killing deer....

"If some people on this forum put as much effort into hunting as they do arguing about things that aren't going to be "solved" on a public forum they'd be deadly in the woods" your words again.

Now you just called me foolish, as I have chosen not to put undo pressure on the bucks I intend to hunt by staying out of the woods for the most part.

Ill just say this. Im no trophy hunter, I kill plenty of deer (mostly does) every season, and I know that the more pressure you put on an area, the less likely you are to kill a mature buck there. If that makes me foolish, then so be it.

• Like 1

Actually you did....

"If you truly are a "trophy hunter" then maybe staying out of the woods is a valid point," your words.

You also made the assumption that Im incapable of killing deer....

"If some people on this forum put as much effort into hunting as they do arguing about things that aren't going to be "solved" on a public forum they'd be deadly in the woods" your words again.

Now you just called me foolish, as I have chosen not to put undo pressure on the bucks I intend to hunt by staying out of the woods for the most part.

Ill just say this. Im no trophy hunter, I kill plenty of deer (mostly does) every season, and I know that the more pressure you put on an area, the less likely you are to kill a mature buck there. If that makes me foolish, then so be it.

That's MY OPINION for the 3rd time... If its not yours then fine... After all this is an OPINION thread right? I never once called you, WNY Buckhunter, any of the above but if you think you fit the profile I described then so be it. You are reading my thread with a negative/paranoid filter in your mind.

That's MY OPINION for the 3rd time... If its not yours then fine... After all this is an OPINION thread right? I never once called you, WNY Buckhunter, any of the above but if you think you fit the profile I described then so be it. You are reading my thread with a negative/paranoid filter in your mind.

Or because you didn't have the balls to specify who you were talking about it can be reasonably inferred you meant it to apply to all those that do not agree with you.

And to openly discuss it here and try to inform people about the ruling and how misguided it is is one avenue to apply pressure to get it changed. If you don't think DEC monitors this sites you are wrong.

• Like 1

Well that made no sense...if they are hunters they are "allowing" hunting on their lands... Just no to every Tom ,Dick, and Harry that doesn't "like" state land. and there are a lot of non hunter doing the same...Thats the Joy of paying exorbitant land taxes...we get to choose who and how many.....assumptions :rolleyes:

I know at least three landowners who hunt birds, turkeys, and small game but absolutely do not hunt deer and will not allow anyone else to hunt deer on their property. These are family friends and I've known them for decades and I see them quite regularly, so it's not about me personally. "Orange army", "liability", and "lawsuit" come up frequently.

I was not dissing the sanctity of landownership by any means. I completely agree with you. Merely pointing out what I've seen over the past several decades with regard to hunting privileges.