So I wonder how that 2 week kill only doe is working out

swank68

I wish more landowners understood the General Obligation law. it won't stop a suit being filed but it is pretty easy to get dismissed because of it. Same could happen for a trespasser walking their dog.

is it a matter of that or just people don't want to share? how many guys on here with land would be willing to allow others on it to hunt? my guess is not many if any at all.

Edited by jjb4900

I doubt they can ever fix the access problem....they can make all the changes they want to the season and in the big picture those with the land access will make it work and other than being inconvenienced as to when they can harvest certain animals they probably aren't going to make huge increases in how many they harvest.......anyone with land at their disposal will just sit it out and wait for their time and in the end there will be no affect on the animals patterns and they will be there for the taking when that person decides to hunt.

I will say that most parcels in these areas are not large enough tracts of land to keep a deer or several on them as their home range. In these areas if you can get access you can make a difference by aggressively taking the does on the land you can get into. The population is kind of like a bucket of water. Scoop out from where you can and some is going to flow your way.

The one small parcel we hunt is 8 acres of woods next to an AG field. 10 deer were taken out of that last year and I could show you groups of 25-30 in the beans a month ago. There will be that many taken again, I am sure. Allowing more time and more tags and we could take more.

Don't hold the left overs until November 1st and get the tags into the hunters  hands that CAN take deer.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 2

Or because you didn't have the balls to specify who you were talking about it can be reasonably inferred you meant it to apply to all those that do not agree with you.

And to openly discuss it here and try to inform people about the ruling and how misguided it is is one avenue to apply pressure to get it changed. If you don't think DEC monitors this sites you are wrong.

Get over yourself... If you can't stand to read my opinion and realize everyone has one and because I don't agree with you or whoever else I shouldn't have a say also is absurd. I don't need to glamorize my ego by calling out people specifically because they may disagree. Read it and move on. If you think its you then that's your call. Cry somewhere else.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

is it a matter of that or just people don't want to share? how many guys on here with land would be willing to allow others on it to hunt? my guess is not many if any at all.

wasn't he talking about non hunting land owners? Sounded it. If a spot is hunted it could be difficult to get permission. It isn't easy, I know I try every year to get into new areas. it isn't impossible though. The right 5 acres can be an absolute honey hole.

Get over yourself... If you can't stand to read my opinion and realize everyone has one and because I don't agree with you or whoever else I shouldn't have a say also is absurd. I don't need to glamorize my ego by calling out people specifically because they may disagree. Read it and move on. If you think its you then that's your call. Cry somewhere else.

I don't have an issue with your opinion, no matter how ill-informed it is.

I will say that most parcels in these areas are not large enough tracts of land to keep a deer or several on them as their home range. In these areas if you can get access you can make a difference by aggressively taking the does on the land you can get into. The population is kind of like a bucket of water. Scoop out from where you can and some is going to flow your way.

The one small parcel we hunt is 8 acres of woods next to an AG field. 10 deer were taken out of that last year and I could show you groups of 25-30 in the beans a month ago. There will be that many taken again, I am sure. Allowing more time and more tags and we could take more.

Don't hold the left overs until November 1st and get the tags into the hunters  hands that CAN take deer.

If it's a good spot for the deer it will always be a good spot to hunt for them. Right up until somebody builds a house there and you can no longer hunt it.

• Like 1

wasn't he talking about non hunting land owners? Sounded it. If a spot is hunted it could be difficult to get permission. It isn't easy, I know I try every year to get into new areas. it isn't impossible though. The right 5 acres can be an absolute honey hole.

I don't begrudge anyone, hunter or non hunter, who won't allow access, that's their right...I wouldn't. The land access problem will NEVER be solved unless they offer some incentive for those who do. It's a dead issue as it stands now.

I don't begrudge anyone, hunter or non hunter, who won't allow access, that's their right...I wouldn't. The land access problem will NEVER be solved unless they offer some incentive for those who do. It's a dead issue as it stands now.

If I didn't hunt I think I would allow access. I even let the guy at the end of the road from our lease permission to run his coon dogs, down there. I just asked him to stay away the week before gun and weekends during the season. I would think that having to chicken wire your landscaping and taking your car in to get fenders repaired would be enough but not for some folks.

Access IS the biggest hindrance in these areas for sure. But what will this new plan or even their step 3  with an early ML doesn't take away the big road block. It kind of leads back to what I have been saying then. put the tags into the hands of hunters on the property that can be hunted, for a longer time, with the most efficient weapon and stack them up.

• Like 2

put the tags into the hands of hunters on the property that can be hunted, for a longer time, with the most efficient weapon and stack them up.

right, why not put nuisance tags into the hands of hunters in these areas? I know that's taboo to many, but why just give them to farmers? if it's a problem, then give more leeway to the hunters in areas where deer are a problem.

You have to have people in the seats, (tree stand seats in this case).

Seymour Knox was an amazing guy. Owner of the Sabres and I got to know him quite well. He'd walk through downtown Bflo handing out the last couple thousand tickets for a home game because he considered an empty seat a wasted opportunity. He, and Ralph Wilson, understood the big picture. Fill the seats.

The last two guys to call me and ask to put a stand on our land were given the ok.

Guy at work wanted a place closer to turkey hunt with his young son, he got the green light too.

Couple years ago a young guy on here from Syracuse was going to go to school in Buffalo or something he was looking for a spot near there. While not close I'm about an hour away I told him worst case he could hunt a couple week ends with me if he wanted .

• Like 1

right, why not put nuisance tags into the hands of hunters in these areas? I know that's taboo to many, but why just give them to farmers? if it's a problem, then give more leeway to the hunters in areas where deer are a problem.

I agree. Tags issued for outside the "normal" hunting season. Expand opportunity not restrict it.

Honestly where I hunt in 4C (not effected) versus 4J (effected and bow only) is way easier to recover a doe.  due to anniversary vacation I just got back into country and hunted this past weekend.  still primarily hunting doe to fill the freezer now despite being in an area I can take a buck.  I've stayed out of buck areas in both units too.  haven't seen a good enough daylight pattern and rut hasn't turned things upside down enough yet to warrant screwing it all up.

You have to have people in the seats, (tree stand seats in this case).

Seymour Knox was an amazing guy. Owner of the Sabres and I got to know him quite well. He'd walk through downtown Bflo handing out the last couple thousand tickets for a home game because he considered an empty seat a wasted opportunity. He, and Ralph Wilson, understood the big picture. Fill the seats.

on that note, why can't we hunt the Knox estate?

Here in 8H I've been hunting regularly, just avoiding certain spots till later. I've taken a nice doe on the first day and have since had a few friends hunting here as well. I don't see fewer people out hunting in this area with the exception of a group that leases land down the road from me.

I hosted a few youth hunters over the weekend (one took a nice fork) and an interesting question came up. One youngster decided that he would rather hunt with his bow. Can he still take a buck as it is youth season or is he limited to a doe like a regular archery hunter?

His dad said doe only (we were all too busy to check online or make a call to DEC) just to be safe. Anyone know the answer?

I'm old enough to have hunted years when four of us had to apply for one doe tag so I'm happy to take a doe regularly with my bow. My situation is certainly not the same as everyone else's but any chance to be in the woods hunting, be it for doe, buck or small game is a great day.

That is a good point. But for every problem there is a solution. First and foremost I would eliminate the "can't shoot a buck" philosophy. The reality of the situation is there are a percentage of hunters both bow and gun that won't shoot a doe. There is some false sense of being a more accomplished dear hunter by shooting a buck. Now, a small percentage of those hunters that refuse to shoot does indeed are trophy hunters. The rest take bucks that aren't that impressive as far as trophy is concerned. Most would be surprised to find that their trophy buck scores 120- 130 inches. And I don't know if deer antlers are some form of aphrodisiac? I've yet to know someone eating venison to be able to identify the sex of the venison they were consuming

Now to address the incentive to take a doe. The easiest incentive would be to allow two does per DMP permit. This would only take a second date on the current tagging procedure. What would this do? First it controls the doe harvest to areas experiencing an over abundance of antlerless deer. But more importantly it puts the second opportunity in the hands of those hunters that have already expressed a desire to shoot doe's by paying an additional fee to do so(dmp permit) . Sounds like a no brainer to me. Yes there are those that would only be motivated if they could take a second buck. Then you would have those opposed to taking a second buck.

Now, if I was able to come up with this solution by myself in a very short period of time,( and not penalize the hunters in those effected DMP's with anterless only) Why can't the powers to be in the DEC come up with comparable solution. No INCREASE IN THE COST OF DMP'S NEEDED. The purpose of the addition number of dmp permits is to achieve the carrying capacity of the DMP's in question. Not figure a way to take more financially from the hunter.

I agree to an extent, I do know that in my area 2.5 or older bucks weigh in around 180 dressed I have only taken 1 doe that weighed in at 170 dressed all the rest were 120ish so I will get about an extra 20lbs of meat off that buck.  What I don't really understand are these "meat hunters" that take a 1.5 yo buck that weighs less than an average doe. To fix this they should have just put in antler restrictions on 1 or 2 neighboring WMU to see how it worked out in terms of doe harvest. It probably would have worked a lot better than this doe only.

Edited by chas0218

I agree to an extent, I do know that in my area 2.5 or older bucks weigh in around 180 dressed I have only taken 1 doe that weighed in at 170 dressed all the rest were 120ish so I will get about an extra 20lbs of meat off that buck.  What I don't really understand are these "meat hunters" that take a 1.5 yo buck that weighs less than an average doe. To fix this they should have just put in antler restrictions on 1 or 2 neighboring WMU to see how it worked out in terms of doe harvest. It probably would have worked a lot better than this doe only.

Wondering where you hunt and what level of antler restrictions do you think would have made a difference?

• Like 1

Or because you didn't have the balls to specify who you were talking about it can be reasonably inferred you meant it to apply to all those that do not agree with you.

And to openly discuss it here and try to inform people about the ruling and how misguided it is is one avenue to apply pressure to get it changed. If you don't think DEC monitors this sites you are wrong.

Bingo.

And those that you are belittling by voicing your opinion have every right to call you out on it.

Go ahead and call someone out. Just don't get all butthurt when you don't agree. And clearly the DEC cares what you think... They asked you what you thought about the no buck rule before they did it right? Not.

Go ahead and call someone out. Just don't get all butthurt when you don't agree. And clearly the DEC cares what you think... They asked you what you thought about the no buck rule before they did it right? Not.

Im not butthurt over anything, and your constant insinuating that someone is crying over your opinion, butthurt about it or otherwise puts you in the same class as Larry.

Tip your waitress

Im not butthurt over anything, and your constant insinuating that someone is crying over your opinion, butthurt about it or otherwise puts you in the same class as Larry.

Tip your waitress

I'm going hunting. Go annoy someone else. Keyboard warrior.

Here in 8H I've been hunting regularly, just avoiding certain spots till later. I've taken a nice doe on the first day and have since had a few friends hunting here as well. I don't see fewer people out hunting in this area with the exception of a group that leases land down the road from me.

I hosted a few youth hunters over the weekend (one took a nice fork) and an interesting question came up. One youngster decided that he would rather hunt with his bow. Can he still take a buck as it is youth season or is he limited to a doe like a regular archery hunter?

His dad said doe only (we were all too busy to check online or make a call to DEC) just to be safe. Anyone know the answer?

I'm old enough to have hunted years when four of us had to apply for one doe tag so I'm happy to take a doe regularly with my bow. My situation is certainly not the same as everyone else's but any chance to be in the woods hunting, be it for doe, buck or small game is a great day.

Youth hunters last weekend were excluded from doe only, regardless of what weapon.