A doe named "Football"...

WNY Bowhunter

Yesterday morning I hunted some winery property basically just to take a trailcam down that I had setup a couple of weeks ago.  Upon, checking the cam I was pleased to find a whole bunch of bucks hitting the white oak that my stand was set in.  Two deer really caught my attention...one was a beautiful 9-pt and the other was a doe that looked like a football with legs...  

zIMAG1814.jpg

zIMAG1815.jpg

Since, my buck tag is filled I decided to try to hunt this fat doe.  Taking a wise old doe like this is definately no easy task. She liked to hit the oak up around 6:00 every few nights with a couple other does.  I had a little time to kill yesterday afternoon so I went after her.  I arrived to my stand late at 5:15...literally two minutes later she steps out at 150 yds down the field and started working my way. Eventually, she ended up feeding right under me and I put a Rage Hypo through her at 10 yds...

z1010151737.jpg

z1010151748.jpg

z1010151748c.jpg

I may have to have her aged...she has lots of white on her face/muzzle and her legs.  I think she's been around a while.  I have to give he old girl credit for surviving the nuisance permit onslaught that happens here every summer...

z1010151800.jpg

This would have been a nice pic with a better camera...  

z1010151757.png

So, that's a wrap for me for this bow season. I have one more DMP left but my freezer is pretty stocked now and I have no reason to fill it. What a season!!!

• Like 17

I figured out just like any other deer they do start going down hill with their weight.  seeings probably somewhere between 6.5 - 8.5 or something.  oldest doe I shot had a huge frame like that.  she had a dry udder.  also had a huge frame compared to rest of the doe hanging, but only weighed just over 95 lbs.  looked like a dairy cow.