Upstate NY Buck Down!!!

AdirondackBH

Well, I am officially tagged out here in NY until November! Filled my doe tag last week and got on this buck on the past Sunday.Here's the story:

A few days ago I pulled my trail cam cards and got this guy on camera. Based on this picture alone, I wasn't sure if I was going to shoot this deer given the opportunity or not. My rule for bucks is 3 years or older and a lot about this picture said 2.5. Well, when I saw him in person I just couldn't let him walk by. I set up in one of my honey hole stands, a point that juts out into a swail grass swamp bordered by a beaver swamp. To my right the acorns were raining down and to my left was a loaded apple tree. 

About 45 min before dark, I heard a deer walking through the swamp in front of me. Shortly after, I saw a 10 foot tall tree get ravaged so I knew it was a buck, but I didn't know what yet. All I know is that he was taking it out on this tree because all I could see was the top of it swaying back and forth. Then he stepped into view and when I measured up this deer I decided I was going to take him if given the chance. His body, combined with his torn ears and the fact he was unique because Im not sure if ill ever see another 4 point as big as him were enough reason for me to want to take my first buck in three years. 

He was on a trail that would take him through my shooting lane for an easy 15 yard shot. Being that this is usually how my luck goes, the wind which had been blowing perfectly all day out of the southeast stopped just as this deer decided to stop for a few apples before stepping into the open. 

When the wind died, it gave the thermals flowing down off the hill behind me the upper hand and right to his location. Some people don't believe in scent control but I am a freak about it and this is one of those times it paid off. He wasn't a dumb deer, within minutes he knew something was up but it wasn't enough to blow him out of the area. However, it was enough for him to want to start heading back to where he came from. He took a few step back in the other direction, away from my shooting lanes, nose in the air and being very cautious.

I desperately searched for an opening and I found it. It was the size of a bowling ball, all the way to his vitals at 20 yards. I had to kneel all the way down on the platform of my stand to make the shot. I stopped him perfectly in the opening and watched the arrow sink behind his shoulder.

I knew he was done and thats when I lost my composure. Eating tag soup and passing bucks for three years makes this moment extremely surreal. When I walked up on this buck, I couldn't believe the size of his body. The jury is still out on whether he is a 2 or 3 year old buck and even some of the more seasoned reviewers I know are unsure. His face and rack scream 2 year old but his body is that of a solid 3 year old. I am having his jaw read next week. 

Anyway, here are some pics in chronological order. I will have a video out in a few days. 

Upstate NY Buck

Weight: 178lbs dressed, over 200 live. 

MFDC0627_zpsil2qfh9q.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-12%20at%2012.02.

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-12%20at%2012.08.

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-12%20at%2012.25.

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-12%20at%2012.23.

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-12%20at%2012.33.

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-12%20at%2012.32.

• Like 30

Nicely done...Too bad you're done for a month but that's a good reason to be done.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Thanks, yea the last time I tagged out for Archery was on the last day of the early archery season haha. Timing is actually good for me this year. I am heading to PA next week to hunt and then OH the second week of Nov. Thanks again.