First climb in my new summit... Some pics and questions.

So as it says I got out for the first test run in my new summit titan.

1) holy awesome.

2) yes I feel safe!

3) very comfy

4) soo glad I went with the titan.it may feel huge on my back and when looking at it. But man does the platform feel small once your up there.

Now the questions.....

I put molle straps on. In the same fashion as the original straps. post-2523-14448632248898_thumb.jpgpost-2523-14448632621917_thumb.jpgHowever I may need to move them down farther. Because man does it hurt to scrape your leg on those tree grabbers. It sits low enough that I can't step over small branches etc. Is there a preferred way to pack these? Grabbers up or down?

I had a hard time getting "level" once up. Are these angles okay? Tips?

post-2523-14448627825755_thumb.jpgpost-2523-14448628330444_thumb.jpg

I made it about 18 feet up. Got about 8 feet when I realized I hadn't tethered the 2 pieces together. Man the images that flashed through my head... I quickly attached them.... I'll never make that mistake again.

The third hand straps.... Do you all leave them attached 24/7? I didn't bring them with me this time.

I was only able to go up about 4 inches per lift. Using the sit and climb method as it felt safest... I assume that as I get more comfortable I'll be able to get more out of each sequence.... Any tips?

Any tips or advice for a new climber?

**** yes I I used my harness and tree strap the entire time... Definitely a bit tedious but I adjusted to the process quickly.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Super!  I love my summit , it is one of my favorite climbers.. Buy some of those lone wolf straps to cinch the top and bottom platform together, it make a huge difference in stability once your are set.

http://www.lonewolfhuntingproducts.com/shopping/Products/Stabilizing-Straps__SS-spc-%28Connects-spc-Top-spc-Section-spc-to-spc-Platform%29.aspx

It looks to like you could have the front of your stand down a little more. To me it seems to bite the tree better if the stand is level or slightly tilted down.

Once you get used to it you will be climbing with confidence and bigger steps. I ussually go from my knees up to my chest to my tiptoes and but barely on the seat every step. :rolleyes:

Edited by ncountry

I have the thirdhand straps. Do you leave your lone wolf's attached 24/7?

Yes.    I just bought them this year . definitely worth the $10. I just used a generic strap before.(thought I invented something, turns out I was late to the game.lol)

The cables go UP. 

You can adjust the seat portion of the climber in the stand but NOT the stand section and you'd rather have it tipped UP than dipped down, trust me.

When you start your climb, the lower (stand) section is usually at a pretty severe angle as the difference in the diameter of the tree is certainly going to lessen considerably as you ascend.  Each tree is different of course and you'll have to work that out by experience.

Can't help with the "third hand"......WTH is it?

4" per bite is something that will come in experience too, less IS more in the beginning!  DON'T take too big of a bite by stretching your legs and reaching too far, THAT is when accidents happen.

• Like 2

Third hand archery climber straps. Connect the 2 pieces together on either side... Same as the lone wolf's.

Yeah after.I took those pics I did let out another stop so the top became more level.

I think trial and error will provide the knowledge regarding how far to have the cables out. It seems how far out the cables are determines how much "swing" you get from seating the cable on the tree and bringing in the teeth. How much swing is too much will also come with time I feel.

Super!  I love my summit , it is one of my favorite climbers.. Buy some of those lone wolf straps to cinch the top and bottom platform together, it make a huge difference in stability once your are set.

http://www.lonewolfhuntingproducts.com/shopping/Products/Stabilizing-Straps__SS-spc-%28Connects-spc-Top-spc-Section-spc-to-spc-Platform%29.aspx

It looks to like you could have the front of your stand down a little more. To me it seems to bite the tree better if the stand is level or slightly tilted down.

Once you get used to it you will be climbing with confidence and bigger steps. I ussually go from my knees up to my chest to my tiptoes and but barely on the seat every step. :rolleyes:

If you use the Lone Wolf straps do you still tie the top to the tree with the strap that Summit supplied with the climber? I assume the new Summits come with the same strap mine did (7-8 years ago). I use it to tie the top to the tree once set at preferred height and tie the top and bottom together while carrying the stand. 

i carry the stand very high on my back,basically put stand straps on and then i cinch them down as tight as possible, youll find the sweet spot. same goes for stand angle, after a few weeks you get used to where to set it to get it right. Id caution you be read the instructions and only climb trees 9-18". i had one fail climbing a tree that was waaaaay too big. Also check out hazemore for the sillent seat and thirdhandman for a bow holder. I have these on mine and its awesome i perfer my titan to all my ladders

Edited by NYbuck50

Don't forget to strap the seat section to the tree once you get to your desired height. The strap that holds the two sections together when it is packed should be used once you get up in the tree. Just wrap it around the tree and the bars on the backside of the seat section. A lot of people don't do this and it really makes the stand firm and stable in the tree.

• Like 1

+1 on the Third Hand straps...I recommend their universal bow holder, its awesome.  I leave the straps on all the time, and use them to stabilize the stand, tether the upper and lower together while climbing, and then cris-cross and attach them when you pack the stand together, and cinch tight, no need for the summit supplied strap that went around the stand to hold the two parts together when packing.  Also that cris-cross works good for folding up my coat /layers, laying them into the stand, and then pulling the straps tight.  Helps me to not get so sweaty when walking in.

I used the Molle straps and waist belt, with a plastic frame on my Summit, and boy oh boy is it a dream to carry, once its on my back. The platform bar on mine is about chin level when on my back, so the grabbers are just at or just below my butt, and I tuck the cables into the tubes as far as they go so I dont hit them with my heels when walking.

Good luck with it, I wish I'd have bought one years ago.

Edited by loworange88

Two mistakes I made the first year I hunt with a climber.

1. The tension from the platform is created when you stand out towards the edge.  Your weight causes the spikes to drive into the tree creating the resistance.  I had turned around to get my safety harness around a tree limb and stood too close to the back of the climber closer to the spikes.

2. I picked a tree with a smooth bark instead of an oak.

You add the two together and the climber slipped and slid down the tree with me in it.  I had just removed the safety harness because I was trying to get it over a limb.  Fortunately I wasn't hurt but I did have a huge bloody scrape on my chest from sliding down the tree.

I still use a climber though.  I just don't use it as often not due to fear but rather the spots I hunt I have good natural ground cover that I rather not deal with the hassle of lugging the climber in and out and setting up, etc.

I've always been curious about these, they seem to work from the weight of you standing on the platform, no?  So if you lift your feet off the platform when sitting, is there potential for them to lift the foot platform up and release it from the tree? I can see them being great otherwise...

Thanks!

Two mistakes I made the first year I hunt with a climber.

1. The tension from the platform is created when you stand out towards the edge. Your weight causes the spikes to drive into the tree creating the resistance. I had turned around to get my safety harness around a tree limb and stood too close to the back of the climber closer to the spikes.

2. I picked a tree with a smooth bark instead of an oak.

You add the two together and the climber slipped and slid down the tree with me in it. I had just removed the safety harness because I was trying to get it over a limb. Fortunately I wasn't hurt but I did have a huge bloody scrape on my chest from sliding down the tree.

I still use a climber though. I just don't use it as often not due to fear but rather the spots I hunt I have good natural ground cover that I rather not deal with the hassle of lugging the climber in and out and setting up, etc.

So you were not locked into the tree with the lower platform? And when you stepped towards the tree you slid?

Not gonna lie that is a bit concerning. For my own use.

So you were not locked into the tree with the lower platform? And when you stepped towards the tree you slid?

I've had it happen as well only a few feet down the tree and no injury, but it does wake you up......

I've always been curious about these, they seem to work from the weight of you standing on the platform, no? So if you lift your feet off the platform when sitting, is there potential for them to lift the foot platform up and release it from the tree? I can see them being great otherwise...

Thanks!

youre always putting weight on one or the other, it doesn't lift up. Buy them from third hand archery, they're made much better. The also make your stand pack tighter and quieter
  • Like 1

Just make sure you really set the foot platform in, by stepping on and even bouncing on the edge of the platform to sink it in. and also make sure your sections are tied together and obviously a harness and you will be all set. Summit climbers are great. this is the first year and only a few comments i have heard of guys stepping too close to the back of platform and having it slide, think this could also be an issue of having too much angle on the platform, but most guys probably wouldn't admit that.

• Like 2

Not to deter you from using climbers. Like I said, I still use them here and there when it's needed. Just be aware of the hazards of it and take safety seriously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk