First climb in my new summit... Some pics and questions.

I've been using my summit viper for almost 12 years, in fact almost every deer I've shot has been out of that stand. What I have learned, on cold rainy days stay away from real smooth trees with a hard bark. Slid down one only a couple feet and that was enough to switch trees. U will love climbing ash trees, soft bark and generally very straight with few limbs.when you get to your desired height step to the edge of the platform and bounce a little to sink the tree grabbers in. The foot rest makes a big difference with these stands. My brother in law has a summit without it and complains his legs start to fall asleep. Enjoy the stand I don't know if I'll ever change from mine.

To avoid ripping my heals stepping over logs, I have the v that grips the tree above my head when I carry the stand. It adds a step when I set up at the tree(moving straps from the front of the foot platform) but it is worth it. If I remember I will send a picture of my set up- I also swapped out the shoulder straps with an old cushy golf bag strap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would argue with anybody that a good climber is the safest way to get in a tree, provided you're attached the entire time and know what you're doing

Totally agree. I am uncomfortable any time I even step into a ladder stand. I can't even imagine climbing pegs to then get into a permanent hang on stand. I am sure people get comfortable but for me a climber is the most secure and that is after taking a few "slides" on slick, frozen smooth trees.

Yep - watch out for those shaggy bark trees, I have slid a bit before myself.

Ha, my buddy was just telling me  story about him using a climber on a shagbark. Half way up the bottom got caught and fell to the ground. It got a little tricky getting down.

i use a small Summit Open shot climber.  no front rail.  i have a rope connecting top to bottom as a safety tether.  bungy with accessory hooks for feet on bottom portion to climb.  then i've got a cinching nylon strap.  use strap to hold both sections tight for packing.  use it fastened to bow and to bottom platform to hoist bow up with me.  once to the top I tighten up tree strap attached to my harness. hull bow up, set it on seat, and then take the cinch strap around the tree and top section of the stand.  I also have it around quiver so it's detached and cinched to the side of the tree.  system seems to work very well.

getting angles of platform and top section right from start ​to finish just takes practice.  it usually starts at a good 45 degrees though.

i use a small Summit Open shot climber. no front rail. i have a rope connecting top to bottom as a safety tether. bungy with accessory hooks for feet on bottom portion to climb. then i've got a cinching nylon strap. use strap to hold both sections tight for packing. use it fastened to bow and to bottom platform to hoist bow up with me. once to the top I tighten up tree strap attached to my harness. hull bow up, set it on seat, and then take the cinch strap around the tree and top section of the stand. I also have it around quiver so it's detached and cinched to the side of the tree. system seems to work very well.

getting angles of platform and top section right from start ​to finish just takes practice. it usually starts at a good 45 degrees though.

i have an Open Shot too. order the third hand straps, you'll be so glad you did. I've got his bow holder too and can climb with the bow in it. The only thing I didn't lie is the seat so I rigged up a new one

I've got a Summit viper. I love the stand. As others have said here, I have had issues with the platform sliding down the tree. But they were usually due to what others have said, a wet smooth bark tree.

I'm not a big climber so trees with pegs leading to a hang on stand never really agreed with me. I have no issues climbing in this stand though. I have about 15 trees I use on the various properties I hunt, most of them are cherry trees. They have a rough bark which I like and they seem soft the cleats really seem to sink in the tree. I feel completely safe climbing in this stand and sitting in it.

Watch the instruction video, USE YOUR HARNESS and you will be fine. The more you use it the easier it will become. Good luck and enjoy

youre always putting weight on one or the other, it doesn't lift up. Buy them from third hand archery, they're made much better. The also make your stand pack tighter and quieter

Thanks The_Real_TCIII, I'll give them a try.  I have my top and bottom tethered together, but it would still be pretty awkward to have the bottom platform come loose when I pick up me feet to move them.  I generally set my seat platform high, so even when I'm sitting I'm at a partial standing position.  Generally the bottom is planted but if there's any upward pressure it wouldn't take much to release it on some trees.

Also, related to the topic, as others have mentioned most of the instructions mention not to "hop" to set the platform into the bark like others are recommending.  Reading the Summit instructions when I got my first one, I found that filing the powder coating off the teeth and making sure the edges are very squared like they recommend really helps and I freshen mine up every season.  I've seen some people actually sharpen the teeth to a point and some stand manufacturers make teeth that are sharp.  I think that makes it more difficult to remove the platform on the climb.  I've tried with and without the teeth edges filed square and it was a big difference.  The squared edges grab a lot better but they pull out of the bark a lot easier.  Can't beat the climbers for comfort either!

i have an Open Shot too. order the third hand straps, you'll be so glad you did. I've got his bow holder too and can climb with the bow in it. The only thing I didn't lie is the seat so I rigged up a new one

they're exactly the same as the one that came with my open shot.  you didn't get one??  I could see 1 or 2 more being useful but don't feel as if I need more than the one.

they're exactly the same as the one that came with my open shot.  you didn't get one??  I could see 1 or 2 more being useful but don't feel as if I need more than the one.

Theyre totally different, there are two that connect your climber to the base, one on either side. You have them slack as you climb and when you get to height you cinch them tight, takes seconds and the stand is rock solid. no need to put the strap around the tree. when you have a chance go to the thirdhandarchery site and watch the video. 

first, i have a viper not a titan so keep that in mind.

I would not climb in shorts or hunt in shorts. Depending on the tree, but most tress narrow as you climb, so start and a decline and it will level out as you get to your height. make sure you're using a harness and a tree tieoff you can adjust as you climb. 4" per movement isn't bad but you can do better. My best advice is to just take your time. It decreases sweat and opportunity to screw up.

• Like 1

Lol. Definitely not hunting in shorts. Just a quick test climb. To determine if I was keeping or returning the stand.

Always using the harness and strap. And always will. I think I put that in my first post. I'll have to check.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll be going out for the first hunt in it this Sunday. I'll see how it all works out

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Totally agree. I am uncomfortable any time I even step into a ladder stand. I can't even imagine climbing pegs to then get into a permanent hang on stand. I am sure people get comfortable but for me a climber is the most secure and that is after taking a few "slides" on slick, frozen smooth trees.

so funny because i've hunted for 15 years out of hang ons. most 25'+, and the last year and half form a climber. I'll take my secure inspected hang ons anyday.