Best ways to use ground

BigVal

Tried this last weekend. 2 LBS. ground venison, 2 yellow onions sliced or diced. Brown ground and onions then add 1 bottle of Dinosaur BBQ Slathering Sauce and simmer for 20 minutes or so. Cover your favorite bread or rolls open face style and try not to eat too much ;) .

So basically instead of pulled pork its ground venison?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Just remembered another one that some might forget, you can use ground anything to make jerky. Mix the venison, some Worcestershire sauce ( or w/e ) and w/e spices to taste. Marinade over night, use paper towels to dry it, spread it out and use a rolling pin to get it thin. Use a smoker or bake in an oven at lowest setting for 14 hours.

Ton of recipes and how to vids all over the web on to make jerky from ground meat.

1. Brown it up, with some bacon
  2. Add diced, par boiled potatoes, green peppers & onion
  3. Stir in some beaten eggs.
  4. Salt & pepper to taste.
  5. Reduce heat to almost nothing, cover the top with shredded cheese and cover until melted.

I do Chili, one of my favorite meals.  I actually use Wendy's chili recipe but substitute the meat with my ground venison.

Also, as Rob mentioned Jerky.  Nothing will deplete your ground venison like Jerky.  It usually takes about 10lbs of ground to make 3 or 4 lbs of Jerky. 

I made my own the last few years, well I used Hi Mountain Cure and Seasoning but did the rest in my kitchen.  I recommend purchasing a Jerky Blaster, it's the same as a caulk gun and has different ends for different products.  I use the double Jerky end.  Obviously you'll have to invest in a dehydrator.  It is well worth the investment.  I can't keep the Jerky around, I actually have people from work asking to buy it.  I don't charge, it's my good deed.

Keep In mind, it's quite a bit of work and makes a huge mess.  After the seasoning and cure set, the mix becomes very sticky.  I think you should try it!!!  It really is delicious...!!!

My favorite is stuffed cabbage.  My wife does it the "lazy" style without actually stuffing the cabbage, just kind of mixing all the stuff together.   I could eat that every day, but she only makes it once a month or so.  Tacos are our kids favorite and we all like spaghetti, lasagna, goulash, and chili.  My wife also makes some good baked beans with grind.   Our extended family and friends love that dish at get-togethers.  I have been known to secure a little more for myself at such gatherings by making comments like: "nothing brings out the flavor of beans like ground deer meat"  that is always effective on my sister in law and a few others who are grossed out by anything "wild".         

I have been doing plain burgers on the grill the last few weeks, in an attempt to exhaust the old supply prior to my first hunt this Saturday.  We still have a little better than one average size deer left in the freezer, so it don't look good as far as that goes.   For grilled burgers, I mix 1 raw egg with 2 pounds of pure ground venison (I never add pork).  I then form the patties and refrigerate for a minimum of 8 hours.   That time, plus the egg, binds the meat together and keeps the patties from breaking up when you flip them.  I grill my own medium rare and my wife and kids medium.  Add your favorite toppings and enjoy. We all like them better than burgers made from beef.  

I usually end up with equal parts grind and other cuts from each deer I butcher.  We use the grind and the rest at about equal rates.  Small roasts, cooked in the crockpot are the primary use for the rest.  I always just put the first deer into zip-lock bags, and we use that one first.  Those bags keep it fresh tasting for at least 4 months.   The rest are vacuum sealed for longer term storage.  I have never noticed any lack of freshness in vacuum sealed ground venison up to 3 years in the freezer.       

• 1 month later...