Shooting stick fo crossbow?

Fletch

I have a couple stands that do not have shooting rails and I can't be leaning a crossbow against the tree for support like a rifle. Do any of you use a shooting stick so you are not shooting freehand?

I would need something easy to carry, adjustable one handed, quiet and multi use so I could use it still hunting rifle as well.

Input appreciated.

Fletch

Just triple check that when you move, tilt or alter its stocks position on the upright arms/fingers of what ever stick you use, NO part comes anywhere close to the rail or path of the string!

Believe me, if it hits, it's not a pleasant sensation!!

Ever since my accident and crossover to a crossbow I have been using a Caldwell dead shot. This is absolutely a fantastic rest/ shooting rest . Now before I'm subjected to all the self righteous comments from hunters that tend to feel either their ability to be an accomplished hunter or their manliness are based on he traditional ways of hunting, I have limited mobility( standing and walking unassisted impossible) but to e honest any hunter that has concern to put a kill shot on the deer should be using one of these. I have incorporated the field pod into my muzzleloading And will if I ever shotgun hunt or rifle hunt again. The rest sets up with adjustable legs. Adjustable length weapon holders to accommodate various weapons. You have 360 degree swing area to scope in your prey. Caldwell sells it in three different application Called fieldpod, treepod, chairpods.

lol @ the whole concept. I guess it's still archery right?

Just another tool. For me the goal is to put the deer into the next world as quick as possible and to have the best chance as possible to do that with the tool I am using.

I won't quit using my compound, I will and can hunt with multiple tools. But really? Are you trying to say the crossbow is less challenging? Is there a point to that? It is easer to shoot well with. I bet you could shoot one better than your bow, does that make you better or worse? Hmmm And you are shooting a stick bow with homemade arrows because really if your not is that still archery???

Richard

Edited by Fletch
  • Like 1

Just another tool. For me the goal is to put the deer into the next world as quick as possible and to have the best chance as possible to do that with the tool I am using.

I won't quit using my compound, I will and can hunt with multiple tools. But really? Are you trying to say the crossbow is less challenging? Is there a point to that? It is easer to shoot well with. I bet you could shoot one better than your bow, does that make you better or worse? Hmmm And you are shooting a stick bow with homemade arrows because really if your not is that still archery???

Richard

so now what my arrows are made of decide if it's archery or not? Not the fact that it has a scope and bipod? lol. I have nothing against the tool itself. I don't like the season it's in.

so now what my arrows are made of decide if it's archery or not? Not the fact that it has a scope and bipod? lol. I have nothing against the tool itself. I don't like the season it's in.

Belo,then my suggestion to you would be,don't buy a crossbow! Simple right?

Pretty sure you can put a scope on a compound.

I was just calling out your certain disdain for how other people choose to legally hunt when the same could be done to you. As my Gram used to say...got nothing nice or constructive to say then why say it? What was the goal of your comment? To try to prove your hunting is superior in some way? Are you a better hunter? Maybe, maybe not. If you are super you should be proud of your accomplishments.

I don't care who hunts with what as long as it is safe and ethical and legal. It never fails to amaze me how what other people do seems to bother some people so much. The deer are not yours, most/or all of the land it not yours. What difference does it make? Are you that jealous of what deer other people may tag or that they have different goals than you?

If you don't like crossbow don't use it, easy. How does the guy down the road shooting and filling his tag on a deer with a crossbow bother you? Do you think it was too easy for him? Do you think he took your deer? Do you think he sucks as a hunter because he does not use a maple stick bow he made himself? Help me understand because I am at a loss on this way of thinking.

I have never hunted with a crossbow before. I am excited to try it out. Will I stick with it? Who knows, I like my Diamond a lot! I do know one thing I am always happy when a fellow hunter is successful. Be it a doe, spike, 16 point - any deer and taken with rifle, bow, ML - any weapon. Why can't other people be?

Anyway I am sure you are a super person. I got better things to do.......

• Like 4

Pretty sure you can put a scope on a compound.

I was just calling out your certain disdain for how other people choose to legally hunt when the same could be done to you. As my Gram used to say...got nothing nice or constructive to say then why say it? What was the goal of your comment? To try to prove your hunting is superior in some way? Are you a better hunter? Maybe, maybe not. If you are super you should be proud of your accomplishments.

I don't care who hunts with what as long as it is safe and ethical and legal. It never fails to amaze me how what other people do seems to bother some people so much. The deer are not yours, most/or all of the land it not yours. What difference does it make? Are you that jealous of what deer other people may tag or that they have different goals than you?

If you don't like crossbow don't use it, easy. How does the guy down the road shooting and filling his tag on a deer with a crossbow bother you? Do you think it was too easy for him? Do you think he took your deer? Do you think he sucks as a hunter because he does not use a maple stick bow he made himself? Help me understand because I am at a loss on this way of thinking.

I have never hunted with a crossbow before. I am excited to try it out. Will I stick with it? Who knows, I like my Diamond a lot! I do know one thing I am always happy when a fellow hunter is successful. Be it a doe, spike, 16 point - any deer and taken with rifle, bow, ML - any weapon. Why can't other people be?

Anyway I am sure you are a super person. I got better things to do.......

Very well said!

Wouldn't it be sooo boring if we were all exactly the same?

should crossbow kills be entered into the archery record books?

Not that I really care but I would say no it should be under crossbow. But then again should compound be with stick and recurve since its not traditional? Or inlines be with sidelocks in muzzleloader?

I myself an in awe of you hunters that can go out day after day and wait for that perfect shot with a bow or cross-bow, weather you fill a tag or not, the dedication/hours you put in just to wait for a deer to get within 40 yards or closer is amazing to me. I have never hunted with a bow, strictly Shot-gun for me, but who knows, I am a young 50yr old, got plenty of time left to expand my horizons and learn a new weapon,,,,,,,,

• Like 2

Not that I really care but I would say no it should be under crossbow. But then again should compound be with stick and recurve since its not traditional? Or inlines be with sidelocks in muzzleloader?

No

so would it bother you if some guy shot a book buck with his xbow and claimed it was with a compound? furthermore do we believe that wont happen?

so would it bother you if some guy shot a book buck with his xbow and claimed it was with a compound? furthermore do we believe that wont happen?

It would bother me for one. Crossbows are completely different in my personal opinion from stickbows or compounds. Therefore they deserve separate category

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Richard

If that is your goal, wait until gun season and use a rifle. Why go half-way? No crossbow will ever "put the deer into the next world as quick as possible" as reliably as a gun. 

• Like 1

I have the original steady ready that attaches to your arm ...but I shot both deer last year free arm I just use my elbow on my knee or I do the arm sling...the army sling will make you rock solid...

I like to call it the "Marine" sling... but you're right on the money :)

• Like 2

I really don't care what someone else claims! Again we come back to how worried you are what other people do? I am out there for my satisfaction. I would hope that if someone broke the law they would be caught and prosecuted. If legal not a bit.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I really don't care what someone else claims! Again we come back to how worried you are what other people do? I am out there for my satisfaction. I would hope that if someone broke the law they would be caught and prosecuted. If legal not a bit.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

I am a little concerned with what weapons are used in the special seasons, otherwise I would be arguing for the abolition of all special seasons. There wouldn't be any need for them.