2015 Rut Report

Canis Latrans

9F- seemed things were starting to come around a week ago but that changed abruptly. Scraping and rubbing activity appeared to have slowed down. Trail cams were busy 1-2 weeks ago with young deer and doe groups, but have been dead the last week. Still have not seen any mature bucks on cams or during sits. Maybe this is the beginning of the November lull especially with these warmer temps coming are way. Looks like I'll be saving the majority of my vacation days for the 2 and 3 week of November.

Edited by HFBPA889

Region 7S

October 31st: caught a glimpse of a nice 8 pt (Educated guess: 3.5 yrs) casually moving through the woods and ended up filtering by me with a smaller doe. She milled around and he stayed in the distance in the heavy cover and rubbed a sapling and racked his horns in the branches. Did this to multiple sapling and pieces of brush. He crept towards her a couple times, craning his neck but didn't chase her, just watched and mirrored her movement. she left the scene and he followed her. This was at 8:45am

November 1st: A buddy of mine went out and did a little rattling and grunting. A little later in the hunt he thought he heard horns racking some branches so he gave a grunt and it stopped. Moments later he caught glimpse of a giant. He grunted it in and it came marching right in ready to fight. Spent the last 30 minutes of the afternoon hunt very slowly and carefully scent checking and moving around his tree. Didn't come into any shooting lanes, but did not leave. He was stuck in his tree well after dark while this buck hung around

Shot a doe in 3N last night, she was still with another doe and a yearling and she didn't smell at all. Heard from a buddy they are chasing around in 3s but I have been out every afternoon the last 2 weeks and haven't seen anything that indicates they are ready yet. Hopefully this weekend it's bound to break soon.

• Like 1

The bucks are moving only slightly in 3s so far. They are chasing after God knows what as I saw a buck with a group of does, but he didn't seem terribly interested. Maybe it was a gay deer idk. But either way hopefully they start moving more and make the mistake of coming in a bit too close to my stand when I'm out there and ready

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Deer are going crazy in Huntington.  Reports of deer in very strange places.  I would say with this warm weather it might be slowed down a bit but as the week progresses it will get colder.  Friday 70 Deg!?  WTH!  Going to give it a shot anyway!  Hope Saturday produces the big boy we are after!

I predict Saturday and Sunday will be stellar!!! 

The Rut is on if you can hunt anytime the next two weeks do it!

3s remained dead this weekend: my buddy took a scrappy looking 6 pointer but he was just a dopy deer. Not even smelling the ground when he walked in. Also saw a doe with fawns still. Hoping the colder temps coming this weeknd will kick things into gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8h watched a buck chasing a doe, a few other reports from the farm of bucks running does. Including a very nice one chasing 3 does around today in the heat and all.

I'm taking a break till Sat. Then hitting it hard for a week or so.

Friend just stopped by he hunted tonight in the heat , bucks running everywhere starting at 3:00 when he got on stand. Grunts, snort wheeze , just crazy.

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 1

I checked some cam video this morning and on the 29th of October two doe run past my camera and in hot pursuit is a really good sized buck. This was at late afternoon. A moment later I see more tail as one of the doe goes the other way. I guess he was ready before they were.

Edited by Core

8X saw a small 4 point but no chasing last night. Hitting it again tonight hope they are chasing each other around my stand this time.

Last weekend they were chasing each other around but still only skippys from what I could see.

Edited by chas0218

3s Last weekend, 9:30 a.m. big 8 grunting, chasing does, then branched off with one, came within 50 yds but too many beech trees in the way.  Earlier that day, 7ish a small 4 chasing 2 does, nose to the ground, grunting.  It was 32* that morning...  Lots of scrapes and rubs everywhere

Edited by vcbowhunter

I checked some cam video this morning and on the 29th of October two doe run past my camera and in hot pursuit is a really good sized buck. This was at late afternoon. A moment later I see more tail as one of the doe goes the other way. I guess he was ready before they were.

Oops, can't edit anymore.

Area: 8F, Marion area.

3s westchester county-been hunting everyday this week despite it being 70 degrees everyday have been seeing deer except for yesterday.Tuesday I had a medium 6 point come right under me to my esterous scent. Was waiting for a shot until people walking there dog came in and spooked him.Then had a smaller buck running a doe .This weekend will get the rut going full swing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

​Went to the DEC check station in Ridge for the first time with a friend. 

Even with this warm weather the deer where still up and moving, if you can hunt this weekend DO IT!!!

We saw 5 + deer and heard a buck chasing after something and we did not get into the woods until about 20 minutes after first light.  I jumped one on the trial 10 minutes in, stalking and called one to within 10 ft.  He saw some chasing going on but it was very quick and they did not stop!  It is heating up on LI and with temps dropping it should be good tomorrow and GREAT Sunday!