Has anyone shopped at these stores ?

fasteddie

I was watching a couple show on TWSC ( Time Warner Sports Channel ) and saw some advertisements for The Herb Philipson sports stores . There are a few in the Syracuse / Rome area .

They also advertised Tims Guns NY in Elbridge , NY .

Has anyone shopped at either of these places and if so are they worth the trip ?

I love Herb Philipsons. I live 5 minutes from the one in Oneida. They have great prices and a pretty good selection of hunting gear but they only sell guns, no bows. They have some bow hunting equipment though. They are an overall good outdoor store. I just bought a pair of snow/ski pants for my son for $25 and I got a pair of ripstop BDU's for only $15. Depending on how far you have to travel would depend on if it is worth the trip. I would not go more than 30-45 minutes unless you just like to drive or you do not have any other option. You will get more selection at a Dick's, Gander Mountain, or the Bass Pro Shop for hunting gear though.

My brother bought a 22 there before Christmas. I asked him how the prices are and he said they were cheaper than the big stores. The guy that runs the archery shop next door is also real knowledgable about bows and how to set them up. The bow shop has been in business probably 15 to 20 years.

My brother bought a 22 there before Christmas. I asked him how the prices are and he said they were cheaper than the big stores. The guy that runs the archery shop next door is also real knowledgable about bows and how to set them up. The bow shop has been in business probably 15 to 20 years.

Herb's is usually cheaper than the big stores but not enough to drive a long distance for. Which one are you talking about with the archery shop next door? There are 7 of them in NY. They originated in Rome but have stores as far as Watertown, Liverpool, and Herkimer.

I go to the herb Philipsons in watertown frequently.  They have a gander mountan and dicks in th emall there, but herb beats their prices anytime.  it is one of the few places I can still find wool clothing on the shelf

Many moons ago... ;)  circa 2000, I worked at Herbie's...in the hunting dept. I certainly had fun there, it was a great place to work when you were in college, if you get my drift.

I lucked out and three really great guys that I worked with and for. I was a solid deer hunter at the time, but never really sought turkey, and two of them were downright turkey nuts. One was a very established tournament caller, and another kid who placed 2nd in nationals in the younger division (his dad worked at the Remington plant in Illion). Unfortunately, I forgot their names and didn't stay in touch with them. The third guy, I can remember his name. Jack Christmas....he was the asst. mgr. at the time and was a sportsman. Reason I remember that...his brother is the "Christmas" of Christmas & Associates...also known as Land and Camps.

I always got a kick out his name, too. Jack Christmas...really? ***I remember the older guy's name...Jim Pollard. state, national, and grand national champ. I wish I would have known better then...could have learned alot!

But, price-wise...they always seem to have the best prices I can ever find on Carhartt clothing, and along with a great selection. I've never come across a store with better prices and selection. I usually have a fair share of Carhartts for hunting-related work and even tramping around in the snow for squirrels or rabbits. I finally burned a hole in a pair two weeks ago that I had bought there way back when.