Dissapointed in Remington

Is it just me, or has Remington really fallen off over the last 5 years? I saw in a Dick's Sporting Goods flyer today that they're selling a Remington 783 for $250 with a $40 mail-in rebate. Since when in the hell did Remington start making a rifle that sells for $210!? It's disappointing that the makers of one of the finest bolt action platforms ever created, the model 700, would turn out what I would assume to be a complete piece of crap. Yes, I realize I'm making an assumption here, but how good of quality can the components possibly be on a rifle selling for this cheap brand new.

The 783's aren't all that bad. Nowhere near great, but not too bad. IMHO, If you want to see the biggest turd of a rifle, ever put out by a major manufacturer, check out the Remington 770. When you get done laughing..WASH YOUR HANDS!!!!! 

• Like 2

I have the same flyer. It's $249.98 after the $50 mail in rebate. You pay $299.98+tax up front. From what it reads that's also only for 30.06 and 7mm Mag, and limited by store. Maybe a close out sale.

Same offer is on the site:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/category/index.jsp?ab=TopNav_Outdoors_HuntingShooting_GunsAmmo&categoryId=12243958&cp=4413993.4414427

Maybe they are falling off, but competition is getting stiffer. Ruger and Savage are making some top quality rifles at a lower cost to buy.

Hell, even companies like Tika and Howa are making quality rifles at a better price. I forget what the Tika's are based on, but, my Howa is based on a Weatherby Vanguard, and that little stinker handles and shoots great. 

Some people are trying out the lesser names and getting solid performance and quality while saving a few hundred bucks. Maybe Remington is seeing this and just trying to stay in a competitive market. 

Edited by ....rob
  • Like 1

The 783's aren't all that bad. Nowhere near great, but not too bad. IMHO, If you want to see the biggest turd of a rifle, ever put out by a major manufacturer, check out the Remington 770. When you get done laughing..WASH YOUR HANDS!!!!!

** haha! Now that's funny!

I have the same flyer. It's $249.98 after the $50 mail in rebate. You pay $299.98+tax up front. From what it reads that's also only for 30.06 and 7mm Mag, and limited by store. Maybe a close out sale.

Same offer is on the site:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/category/index.jsp?ab=TopNav_Outdoors_HuntingShooting_GunsAmmo&categoryId=12243958&cp=4413993.4414427

Maybe they are falling off, but competition is getting stiffer. Ruger and Savage are making some top quality rifles at a lower cost to buy.

Hell, even companies like Tika and Howa are making quality rifles at a better price. I forget what the Tika's are based on, but, my Howa is based on a Weatherby Vanguard, and that little stinker handles and shoots great.

Some people are trying out the lesser names and getting solid performance and quality while saving a few hundred bucks. Maybe Remington is seeing this and just trying to stay in a competitive market.

** I bought a Tikka T3 in .308 last year around the end of the season so I never hunted with it. I just got to fire it this past weekend and I'm incredibly happy with it. My last two shots after getting it hitting where I wanted were so nearly through the same hole that you had to look close to see it was actually two holes. Really excited to shoot a deer with it. The Tikka is the sister brand of the well respected Sako rifle manufacturer.

Although I have a HATRED towards new Remington's because of other reasons. I have learned to deal with the bargain rifle craze. The day my brother showed up with a ruger American that he payed like 350$ish for and I was shooting my full custom shop model 7 "well over 3k with scope"and that little ruger out shot it with every kind of ammo I had and it had a 150$ redfield as to my Zeiss. It was that day that I realized times were changing he had about 1/10 in his gun than I did and his shot smaller groups, no the action isn't as clean and the magazine rattles and the trigger is not as nice but it still out shoots a rifle that costs 10x more $.

• Like 2

I see nothing wrong with gun makers,putting affordable, accurate rifles in the hands of the average hunter. No matter who makes them. It's a win-win for guys like myself!

I agree 100% But the 770's I have handled, and the one I have shot,  are over the top cheap crap. Everything on the stock like the  trigger guard and swivel inserts are one big cheap piece of plastic, the actions are catchy and rougher than hell. The triggers are a joke. They sacrificed a lot to make an "Affordable" rifle. The 783's are custom shop competition rifles,  compared to these things.

If opening day is tomorrow,you are on a VERY tight budget and you can't find a good used rifle, then by all means buy a 770.  Don't try to convince yourself that you are getting a good rifle at half the price…you're not.

I agree 100% But the 770's I have handled, and the one I have shot, are over the top cheap crap. Everything on the stock like the trigger guard and swivel inserts are one big cheap piece of plastic, the actions are catchy and rougher than hell. The triggers are a joke. They sacrificed a lot to make an "Affordable" rifle. The 783's are custom shop competition rifles, compared to these things.

If opening day is tomorrow,you are on a VERY tight budget and you can't find a good used rifle, then by all means buy a 770. Don't try to convince yourself that you are getting a good rifle at half the price…you're not.

I very much agree with this.

MY dad and uncle both purchased Remington BDLs in 09'. My fathers went back once because the complete magazine sleeve fell out and then when he got it back the mag spring broke (just sent him a new one). My Uncles .264, which he bought while we were on a trip in Montana expecting to use it, first shot siting it in the case won't eject. We let it cool down finally got the case out and figured maybe it was the round. Second shot same thing. Sent it to remington they claim they fixed it and he gets it back and now it won't extract a live round (have to tilt the gun up to get the round to slide out. Sends it back again and now it works "perfectly" Remington says. Gets it back this time and it does the same thing. He calls Remington and they say "Oh thats normal operation, without being shot there really isn't anything to seat the cartridge to the bolt and extractor pin." He uses it as is but for a fairly expensive rifle thats BS.

I guess what I'm saying is if 2 BDLs are built with that quality I can't imagine what a $250 Remington must perform like. I'll stick with my Savages, only shotguns or rifles I have besides a couple Mossberg 500s.

I often hear people touting their Savage rifles these days, but I'll still take a Remington 700 of ANY vintage over a Savage any day of the week.  I'm not saying that Savages are not good or won't work, but I laugh when I hear people boasting about their "accutriggers" being the greatest thing since sliced bread.  All these triggers are, are inexpensive substitutes to what a good trigger should be.  Yeah, they will work, but if you compare an "accutrigger" to a good trigger of traditional design, there really is NO comparison.  Competitive riflemen, snipers and serious hunters still prefer triggers of traditional design.  Remington 700 triggers are pretty good and they are of traditional design.  A trip to a competent gunsmith can make the 700's trigger second to none for very little money.  No need for a second rate "accutrigger" like Savage, Ruger, Marlin and now even Remington on it's model 783 have adopted.

So the moral here is that I'll stick with Remington and the Model 700 no matter how much folks complain about them.

• Like 1

IMO both the 770 and 783 are not that great, with the 770 probably being one of the worst guns I've ever handled.  I've shot both in 30.06 and both shot fine.  It is the material that they are constructed of and the loosening of tolerances in their actions and receivers that make them crap.  Keep in mind these guns are not manufactured for guys who shoot long range and thousands or even hundreds of rounds a year.  They are for young kids just starting out, people who don't have a lot of expendable income, or the person that just uses it for nothing more than hunting and only goes a few times.  It's a great value if you consider its functionality.  Will the action function and load a bullet?  Yes.  Is it accurate out to 100 yards? Sure.  Will it kill a deer?  Yup.  Those are some of the only factors that matter to people.  

I often hear people touting their Savage rifles these days, but I'll still take a Remington 700 of ANY vintage over a Savage any day of the week. I'm not saying that Savages are not good or won't work, but I laugh when I hear people boasting about their "accutriggers" being the greatest thing since sliced bread. All these triggers are, are inexpensive substitutes to what a good trigger should be. Yeah, they will work, but if you compare an "accutrigger" to a good trigger of traditional design, there really is NO comparison. Competitive riflemen, snipers and serious hunters still prefer triggers of traditional design. Remington 700 triggers are pretty good and they are of traditional design. A trip to a competent gunsmith can make the 700's trigger second to none for very little money. No need for a second rate "accutrigger" like Savage, Ruger, Marlin and now even Remington on it's model 783 have adopted.

So the moral here is that I'll stick with Remington and the Model 700 no matter how much folks complain about them.

With the plethora of bad reviews on modern Remington rifles why would you "stick with Remington and the model 700" there are manufactuers out there that still make great rifles for the same price as a 700 " ruger, browning ,tika" to name a few.

• Like 1

With the plethora of bad reviews on modern Remington rifles why would you "stick with Remington and the model 700" there are manufactuers out there that still make great rifles for the same price as a 700 " ruger, browning ,tika" to name a few.

Because the Remington's I've owned, be they of older vintage, have served me extremely well.  I like the feel and function of the Remington 700 most especially.  And so do tons of other hunter and target shooters.  I am also old enough to realize, most especially in the hunting and shooting worlds, that you'll always have plenty of people who'll find things to bitch about no matter if the product deserves it or not.  I have seen more than my share of hunters and shooters whose opinions I wouldn't give an ounce of credibility to.  Plenty on this site alone.

• Like 2

A lot of gun manufactures are making a cheaper but more accurate gun for the consumer with better triggers. Savage and others have kind of opened this market up. I have heard great things about the 783. The Remington 770 is the one I was never fond of.

Many mocked that 770, but I bought one for my wife in .243 and that thing just straight drives tacks. I paid $200 even for that rifle with lifetime warranty. That rifle has put a lot of deer down. Now is it the smoothest rifle? Absolutely not but it functions and shoots great. I spent almost 4 times as much on my Tikka T3 hunter including the scope and it shoots just as well.

The 783 looks like it uses the same action as the 700. I know my 1187 slug gun is some of the worst quality I have seen. The rifled barrel has the scope mount but the base is actually mounted crooked and is very obvious.

Edited by chas0218

Many mocked that 770, but I bought one for my wife in .243 and that thing just straight drives tacks. I paid $200 even for that rifle with lifetime warranty. That rifle has put a lot of deer down. Now is it the smoothest rifle? Absolutely not but it functions and shoots great. I spent almost 4 times as much on my Tikka T3 hunter including the scope and it shoots just as well.

The 783 looks like it uses the same action as the 700. I know my 1187 slug gun is some of the worst quality I have seen. The rifled barrel has the scope mount but the base is actually mounted crooked and is very obvious.

It has a crooked cantilever barrel? I am also glad that you got a good 770 and made it work... for same price though the 783 is much better option now which was most likely not available at the time. 

Edited by rotorooter23

Let's not forget to throw the Remington 710 into the garbage pile as well... Of all of the bargain rifles out there today, Remington is by far the cheapest. I'd take an American or Axis any day over these. Having said that I love the 700 line and have never had an issue. I wouldn't take a 710, 770, 783 for free.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

First, I'd like to say that not too much beats a beautiful vintage rifle or a custom modern rifle, costing thousands of dollars. I have seen some rifles posted on here that make me drool! The smooth lines and butter smooth actions can never be duplicated in a "budget" rifle. And I would like nothing more than to "some day" own one of these beauties myself! Everyone has their own dream gun that they would love to own. Some own them and others just keep dreaming.

As for me, I'm just an average hunter that has up until last year, hunted a shotgun only zone. I hope some day to go on a out of state hunt, but that is another story. So, all of my hunting is done within a few miles of where I live. My old Ithica Deerslayer 2 has served me well for many years, and I did use it last year as well. Due to family obligations, I would not spend the money on myself to buy a rifle to hunt with. I would just make do with what I had.

But last Christmas, my best friend and wife gave me a savage axis in 7mm-08. I have upgraded the trigger and it breaks at a little over three pounds. Put new glass on it. And shot it "a lot" over the summer. I am no great shot, but can consistently shoot sub one inch groups at 100 yards with this "budget gun". Sure the action is a bit clunky and the plastic is not as eye catching as walnut, but I'm happy with it! Much more accurate than my shotgun, for sure! I'm just using it to hunt deer! It's all we could afford at the time and I really like the gun. Perfect price and accuracy for an average hunter like myself!

• Like 3